Tell Me About Registration and Early Entry?

Tell Me About Registration and Early Entry?

Postby Herring » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:26 pm

So now that the art registration questionnaire is up I've got a few questions. I'm planning on having the main components of my piece finished in May, so I'm waiting to complete the questionnaire until then.

Are all artists with installations on the open playa granted early access? Do all artists actually arrive early? My art should be easy to assemble so I can't imagine needing to arrive sooner than Sunday or Monday.

Also, my understanding is there's no need to register your art if you're building it at your camp site. I know that means no early entry, but this may be an option for us since my art isn't super huge and it would be easier to light it up every night if it's at camp. But I don't know I my piece will have the same impact or exposure if it's in camp vs. on the open playa. What's y'all's opinion on that?

Anyway, thanks in advance for opinions, this will be my first burn and I just can't resist bringing an art piece out but I like to know all the options way in advance.
Herring

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:34 pm

I'd make it a theme camp at the very least. Less hassle about finding a place, and it will be more centralized and easier for people to find. You will also get an option to arrive early as well.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby AntiM » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:35 pm

I don't recall being offered early entry the year I brought placed theme art. I had it for another reason, so didn't pay attention. We did get a day pass to drive it to our location. They take you out to your spot which is marked with whiskers and a cd, in a golf cart, and then it is up to you to get your piece set up there. We3 did get a day pass to dive to our spot to set up. Didn't use it, we have a bike with a deck.

Art out on the playa is at the mercy of the elements and the participants. Art in camp can be watched and tended. My Home for Wayward Art is in camp. It is nice to have stuff on the backstreets, treasures to find and enjoy.

You can place art on the open playa without placement.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby StevenGoodman » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:49 pm

Art at BM falls into four basic categories:

1) Art the BMORG is actually funding. "Funded Art" "Honorarium" the terms vary. Early entry for these projects is automatic (and required). The BMORG wants the art to be installed and fully functional when the gates open at midnight Sunday night, and therefore you have to be in early to set it up, etc.

2) Art out on the playa that is preregistered with the BMORG but has no funding from the BMORG. Some of these projects can be very large, so it is possible to get early entry, but you have to ask, and you have to show there is a need. I don't know how hard it is to get entry. But the BMORG wants your art to succeed. I know people who have had early entry for large self funded projects.

3) Art on the playa but not preregistered. Of course you can't get early entry for this!

4) Art that is in your camp. If the art is part of a registered Theme Camp you might be able get more early entry passes by making sure the art project is well described in the Theme Camp application. However, early entry for theme camps is not guaranteed.

Martini Steve
Playawaste Raiders and Megaton Bar and Grill
StevenGoodman

Postby fbcota » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:58 am

Its not hard getting early entry for your art project if you can show a need for it. Its worth registering your art if you are interested in going early.

As far as exposure in camp vs. the playa it all depends on where your camp is and where in the playa your art is. If things were equal (Camp on b st and art close to esplinade) then I would think you will get more exposure on the playa.

If you want your art safe and sound and easy to administer then put it in camp. If you want lots of people to see it and aren't so worried about the small change of it taking a bit of a beating then put it out on the playa.

Personally, I love having my art, regardless of size out on the playa.
fbcota

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:43 am

fbcota wrote:If you want lots of people to see it and aren't so worried about the [s]small change[/s] the inevitability of it(s) taking a bit of a beating then put it out on the playa.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Return to 2011 Art & Performance