Camera Obscura on the playa

Camera Obscura on the playa

Postby jonwells » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:05 pm

I propose for 2011 building a large scale camera obscura out on the playa. if
you don't know what that is here is the basic link. basically it is how the eye works. and it would be relatively easy for a group of inexpirienced burners.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_obscura

I have a BFA with a photogaphy specialty and a drawing minor. I have made several small versions of these cameras. This camera could be big enough for people to actually fit inside. It would be great for an upside-down themed party, since the image projected on the wall would be an upside-down image of black rock city.

this is my second time to burning man and i think this is a very realistic thing to build for a second timer. its a good contribution and a managable project for a youngen such as myself.

anyone want to help? I'm going to write an official proposal after the 15th of february and submit it. that way i can get permission to show up a few days early to make sure there are no kinks or night leaks in the structure.

email me jonwellsbfa@gmail.com if you want to help me. i'm based out of jacksonville, but i could always use an official crew to help me set up a few days in advance.

i also want to take an eight day exposure of burning man. this shouldn't be a highlighted advertisement incase it doesn't work. but again, with a good structure and focal point, an eight day exposure is also a realistic idea.

:-) sincerely,

Silver Gelatin
jonwells

Postby Elderberry » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:47 pm

Sounds like a good idea for a project to me.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:47 pm

Which jacksonville?
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby fbcota » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:09 pm

Please build this. I have debated doing one for years (we thought about putting one at the end of the Pier for this year) but always did something else.
fbcota

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:32 pm

the camera Obscura has been on Playa already for over 17 years.

I think the dude that originated it (on playa) died a couple of years ago.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBSUYYoftcU&feature=related[/youtube]

But, as always, just because it has been done doesn't mean that it can't be done better!
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:56 pm

Here is a pic taken directly from BM's theme camp's list, right here on this site.

It changed a bit over the years...Image
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:58 pm

Was it there last year?
It's been a long time since I've seen it.
Ugly Dougly

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:06 pm

Last I remember seeing it on Playa was 2007, but it is a big playa, even with an MV.
oneeyeddick

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:19 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:the camera Obscura has been on Playa already for over 17 years.

And the person before that who originated it, died a couple of years before that.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Sic Pup » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:31 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
oneeyeddick wrote:the camera Obscura has been on Playa already for over 17 years.

And the person before that who originated it, died a couple of years before that.

Hmmmm.... interesting track record. It's pretty cool but to die for? I dunno.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:00 pm

Sic Pup wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:

Hmmmm.... interesting track record. It's pretty cool but to die for? I dunno.

Look, if Aristotle wasn't dead by the time the catholic church got going, they would have killed him.

Okay, okay, I realize that a lot of people contributed to the camera obscura; Aristotle was one of many.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby Bob » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:18 pm

Helped build a 3D camera obscura in 2001. Don't recommend doing it on a small scale.

Harolddd did the optics -- http://www.3dculture.com/.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:33 pm

so, there you have it...it's been done.

Proceed with caution.
oneeyeddick

camera obscura

Postby snpsht20 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:37 pm

I am a second year photo student with 15 years of photo experience and I am definitely interested.
snpsht20

Postby jonwells » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:36 pm

should i be discouraged? i could always`put a fun twist on it. its just a very managble project for me and i'de like to bring it to the playa. would it still be enjoyed,even though its been a hackneyed project?
jonwells

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:50 pm

jonwells wrote: i could always`put a fun twist on it.

The answer is always YES! Reinvent the fuck out of the sucker!
Ugly Dougly

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:44 pm

jonwells wrote:should i be discouraged?

No. Being "the first" is pretty much impossible. Anywhere. At anything. But I never saw the previous one and so haven't a lot of other people. And some people might want to see one again.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Bob » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:01 pm

jonwells wrote:should i be discouraged? i could always`put a fun twist on it. its just a very managble project for me and i'de like to bring it to the playa. would it still be enjoyed,even though its been a hackneyed project?

You provide absolutely no description of your project, and your typing skills are ass. Please feel free to tell the dear readers of the eplaya what exactly you plan to do, in plain English.

Bob

i described its basics, and yes my spelling is ass.

Postby jonwells » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:54 pm

a basic project description is in the first post. its a camera obscura. basically four walls, black paint, a hole, a focal length and lense.a ten by ten room. a very fun project. i'm only 22 and alone. i'm using my resources. if you want more details i'de be happy to send you some jpegs.

your being somewhat judgemental, unless i misread you. it's only my second year, and i'm not going to leave it as moop. don't worry. I'm trying very hard for my budget.
jonwells

Postby Bob » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:28 am

Sorry, just generally bugs me when we have to play 20 Questions with people.

Some cameras at Burning Man have been built with lenses in the side, but the more noteworthy had a rotating lens on top and a mirror to project the image down onto a horizontal viewing table. Mine had stereo lenses with polarizing filters, and prisms. Either way, light leaks will probably be the least of your problems, it's more the hassle of ushering people in and out and the waiting time involved for their eyes to adjust in a suffocatingly hot crowded room that's the challenge. Chris De Monterrey (see photo link above) had people crawl through a winding passage in his pyramid to accomplish this. Sort of.

Anyhow, people will always be curious and I'm sure it would be a popular attraction if you have a good sign and play up the carnival aspect. Consider painting the outside a reflective color and insulating the walls as much as you can.

Bob

Postby jonwells » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:32 pm

i was thinking if i'm really trying to put a twist on it, i could just make it a box that you can stand on top of. ten by ten perhaps. making the top pannel out of wood with an inlaid sheet of plaxiglass. taking sand paper and fogging the plexi-glass and having the mirror project the image upwards. this way, no one would have to go inside, and at night people could lay on it or dance on it and the image would be seen on the floor. if i point it at the city and all the moving lights, that is what would be seen by the participant sitting on top of the box. this makes a good place to watch the burn or the sunrise. in the daylight any visibility would be lost. but this makes the night seem more "magical" as well as stops people from having sex inside.

also this way i could just use a pretty basic lens and a big mirror. i have tons of old cameras and lenses.

i'm sorry if that confused you, i can send you j-pegs of some designs if you want. i did not describe it as clear as i could. basically, it would be a big cube, and at night the top panel would have swirls of light and etc from fire in the distance. BUT now i'de have to start worrying about ladders, stairs, liabilities, etc...

this will be figured out!
jonwells

Postby tamarakay » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:46 pm

jonwells wrote:should i be discouraged? i could always`put a fun twist on it. its just a very managble project for me and i'de like to bring it to the playa. would it still be enjoyed,even though its been a hackneyed project?

i read somewhere on here that over 1/2 of the attendees are first timers. This will be new to ALL of us virgins. go ahead and do it up with your own style. I'd love to come play!
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

gas lantern in the camera obscura

Postby hancockjonathan » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:34 am

I have a couple of big lenses that you could use for your camera obscura if you are still doing that. they are about 6 inches tall and about 3-4 inches wide at the middle of the lens. they are from a gas lantern that i plan on using at burning man this year at night. I have a couple of slides but they are all religious so i am planning on making some good ones for burning man. any suggestions? I want it to be like a 1900 century gas lantern house complete with ghosts and demons that come to life through the gas lantern. I also plan on showing some of my film on a projector screen or with you help on the walls of mylar that you have provided so it would be bigger.
if you need any help let me know.
hancockjonathan

Return to 2011 Art & Performance