My big art project for 2011 called Final Passage seeks...

My big art project for 2011 called Final Passage seeks...

Postby toaster » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:19 pm

...seeking people with the where with all to help out at Burning Man with keeping an eye on the art pieces and just hang out once in a while helping to preserve it from vandalism. Yes, it is a reality and since I am coming with fire this year I am asking for volunteers to email me at scott@art23design.com if you want to help you. Just taking names for now.

Yes, I know the ARTery has a crew that monitors work out there but I want to take a lot of care this year.

So - this is my piece in the best rendering yet:
http://www.indiegogo.com/Final-Passage

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xywlDYzi0J8[/youtube]

We have a great team on this and I am looking for as much support as possible and I hope some of it will come from the BM community. Last year I brought a cool static piece out that I got great feedback from.

I have to have a satellite propane feed on this and looking for ideas how to secure it and lock it up... yes, a big one.[/youtube]
Toaster
San Francisco, CA
www.sunguardians.net and
www.queerburners.com

(Living life running with scissors in my hand, wearing a plastic helmet and teethe-guard)
toaster

Feedback Please

Postby toaster » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:15 pm

How has no one made any comments on this? I am making something really profound and exciting and I can get a lot of my local community excited, but the 356 views on my Indiegogo.Com fundraiser is not getting the attention I need; e.g. donations.

My team can deliver. We are ready to begin building. Am I missing something? Critical feedback encouraged:

http://art23design.com/sculpture-project/final-passage-2011 My Portfolio
http://www.indiegogo.com/Final-Passage?a=29663&i=addr My IndieGoGo

I am determined to overcome any obstacle to get this out there. I may sound like I am begging and I don't care on some levels, because this is important to bring to life.
Toaster
San Francisco, CA
www.sunguardians.net and
www.queerburners.com

(Living life running with scissors in my hand, wearing a plastic helmet and teethe-guard)
toaster

Postby Risky » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:47 pm

toaster -

Can you post some renderings? I would like to visualize this better.
Also, any pictures from your last year's art piece?
I would love to see them.
Risky

Postby oneeyeddick » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:27 pm

Would love to see what you have planned for the propane end of the deal.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Token » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:36 pm

This desperately needs a small tesla coil or van der graaff generator.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby toaster » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:29 am

Token wrote:This desperately needs a small tesla coil or van der graaff generator.

THAT WOULD BE SOOOOO MF'ing cool!
toaster

Postby toaster » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:33 am

Risky wrote:toaster -

I am learning Blender right now. My team here is is FREAKING AMAZING. I got some advice from someone and she said to make it a community project and it has become that!!!

I am stumbling in the funding end of it... but am determined. I have a team who are in the build and a p.r. team getting ready to launch a big event June10th in the Art District here in Vegas.

I'll have it out as soon as I can figure out this software... thank you Lynda.... oi
toaster

Postby lucky420 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:42 am

Hi Toaster, are you still looking for art guards?
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby MyDearFriend » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:52 pm

lucky420 wrote:Hi Toaster, are you still looking for art guards?

I think he has decided to make a theme campnow, maybe he's busy with that?
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby lucky420 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:59 pm

Well I would've made an excellent guard. I have a whistle.
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:08 pm

toaster wrote:

I am learning Blender right now. My team here is is FREAKING AMAZING. I got some advice from someone and she said to make it a community project and it has become that!!!

I am stumbling in the funding end of it... but am determined. I have a team who are in the build and a p.r. team getting ready to launch a big event June10th in the Art District here in Vegas.

I'll have it out as soon as I can figure out this software... thank you Lynda.... oi

Toaster, can you draw or paint? Scan it up! Don't wait for blender! Anything's would have more impact than hearing you talk about it. :)
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:57 pm

lucky420 wrote:Well I would've made an excellent guard. I have a whistle.

You'd make a good gym teacher, too.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Galaxo Magic » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:38 pm

My experience with asking for donations says, no mock-ups or draws equals little interest. Look at some of the other Indiegogo and Kickstarter sites to get an idea of what people want to see.

Good luck
Elephant trainer to the MV Beau Le'Phant, the pink elephant!
Camp Upsie Dasium
Galaxo Magic

Postby toaster » Tue May 03, 2011 4:56 pm

Any help is appreciated. I am still working out the schedule for the week between my theme camp and my art piece. I appreciate any help you can offer...

Hit me up at scott@art23design.com and I'll work on keeping folks updated better than I am on this page.

Anyone willing to help out with art on the playa get ahold of dubble@burningman.com for "Eyes On Art" out of the Artery if peeps want to help keep an eye on pieces out there.
Toaster
San Francisco, CA
www.sunguardians.net and
www.queerburners.com

toaster

Postby toaster » Tue May 03, 2011 4:58 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:
toaster wrote:

Toaster, can you draw or paint? Scan it up! Don't wait for blender! Anything's would have more impact than hearing you talk about it. :)

Here is the best sketch so far. I am working on some better visuals on it.Image

AHHHHHH! I can;t figure out why my image wont appear... go to the web link in my signature.
Toaster
San Francisco, CA
www.sunguardians.net and
www.queerburners.com

toaster

Postby toaster » Tue May 03, 2011 4:59 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:

I think he has decided to make a theme campnow, maybe he's busy with that?

hm... yes, I am working on the theme camp too. Yoga and art... but thanks for following me!
toaster

update!

Postby toaster » Tue May 31, 2011 6:59 am

So, in the insanity that is my existence I have decided to move me and the project to San Francisco. I am leaving Wednesday.

So, I have this AWESOME concept and am under funded, under resourced, under a serious time crunch, and am asking for spiritual if not financial support.

Luckily I may have found work space already on Treasure Island... hoping so! I will be continuing my postings and now am looking for a team to help make this a reality.

My vision is not blurred... in spite of a comment someone made about me working on a theme camp; which is true. The art project is my priority and the theme camp is different; but focuses on art and yoga.

I think these things go hand in hand! There is a plan to have a party at the Final Passage tree with the Nytronix Dance Troupe and some seriously cool people energy in the form of entertainment Onneleigh is arranging.

I know making these decisions now sounds crazy, but I work best under pressure. My kickstarter is 20% funded and it will be a good start.

New rendering and a new video is on www.art23design.com right now... kinking it here directly has been a little confusing.

There are some amazing projects coming this year and my goal here is to make something memorable! Thank you to many of you for the support and kind words. I hope to keep that energy rolling!!!!!!

Love&Light
Toaster
San Francisco, CA
www.sunguardians.net and
www.queerburners.com

toaster

Please Check This Out! Time is of the essence...

Postby toaster » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:03 am

I am living in San Fran and am looking to connect with some cool people to help make this thing a reality as soon as possible. I am living on Treasure Island and there is space to work... but I need a team to finally make it happen!!!!

http://art23design.com/other-projects/s ... ssage-2011

Welding, metal work ... helpers in general who might enjoy helping with suggestions and the occasional lifting of something.

My Kickstarter is 30% funded and I have some donations already and am ready to start moving forward. It's time to create.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stu ... e?ref=card

This project means a lot. It is a spiritual 'thing'. The tree of life meets the river styx.
Toaster
San Francisco, CA
www.sunguardians.net and
www.queerburners.com

toaster

Postby Snow » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:57 pm

I'm liking your idea a lot, and am a welder/fabricator, but I'm far to overextended with projects as it is to offer much help. I wish you luck and hope to see your piece on the playa. Much of our project is based on treasure island as well.
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby toaster » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:54 am

Snow wrote:I'm liking your idea a lot, and am a welder/fabricator, but I'm far to overextended with projects as it is to offer much help. I wish you luck and hope to see your piece on the playa. Much of our project is based on treasure island as well.

Really?!?!?!?!? I would love to connect at least to visit or chat. I live on Northpoint off Gateview. If you know anyone who is looking to help on a project please let me know. I need to start this yesterday... ha ha ha

At least maybe I can swing by a kibbitz?
Toaster
San Francisco, CA
www.sunguardians.net and
www.queerburners.com

toaster

Postby moonrise » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:05 am

The rendering looks beautiful Scott, it also seems the description has been tuned up.

ONLY 12 days left on KICKSTARTER and you're almost at %50 funding!

The race is on for your Art Installation Kickstarter, I kicked in some dough, and uh, bumping this thread in the morning(s) and the evening(s) might help Scott :wink: Rush hour ya' know...
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby toaster » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:30 am

moonrise wrote:The rendering looks beautiful Scott, it also seems the description has been tuned up.

The race is on for your Art Installation Kickstarter, I kicked in some dough, and uh, bumping this thread in the morning(s) and the evening(s) might help Scott :wink: Rush hour ya' know...

Thank you soooooooo much!!! I got an email from a guy who does the exact kind of welding I need who is not far from me just today. I have a guy who is being an Angel on the project who is offering to help get the project to playa and help with materials... so I am more than half way there.

SOOOOO excited. I have had to compromise a lot on the project and I am hopeful that eventually I can get back some of the items I compromised on.

So thank you again and thank to ALL the people who donated anything.
toaster

Postby moonrise » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:04 am

toaster wrote:
moonrise wrote:The rendering looks beautiful Scott, it also seems the description has been tuned up.

Thank you soooooooo much!!! I got an email from a guy who does the exact kind of welding I need who is not far from me just today. I have a guy who is being an Angel on the project who is offering to help get the project to playa and help with materials... so I am more than half way there.

SOOOOO excited. I have had to compromise a lot on the project and I am hopeful that eventually I can get back some of the items I compromised on.

So thank you again and thank to ALL the people who donated anything.

It seems you took on a LOT this year, over achiever is an understament for you, perhaps.

Lowering the kickstarter goal $ amount helps you GET THE MONEY!!

ONLY 12 days left to go people, donate and spread Toaster's kickstarter link pleeeez! It's a RACE and time to WIN this kickstarter!!
He only needs a little bit more...
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

I am blessed

Postby toaster » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:13 am

I really have a feeling I am going to hit that 1k$ because someone has taken an active interest in my project.

Yes, moonrise, I do take on too much. I am deluded about time and resources, but I always seem to get to where I want to go. I do look to make this a team project/community. This was advice I got from Marian herself...

On CraigsList I got response from people interested in joining in on the whole production... one step qat a time I am getting there.

Yes, I am trying to do a theme camp, too. Yes, I have taken on too much... but I am a go getter.

I rented my truck for the trip this weekend too. It will cost 2k$ if I go with this solution... I had to make sure I have a plan. So, there will be a Phase 3 of Kickstarter just for the cost there... BUT! I figured I can cut a lot of that expense by offering transport for some people's stuff and divert some of the cost to the theme camp.

Always thinking here... always (hopefully) on the ball.
toaster

Postby graidawg » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:26 pm

hey the tree of life is something that resonates with me i mentioned it on a tattoo thread a while back would love to seethis happen
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:04 pm

Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby toaster » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:11 pm

Thanks so much. All this positive energy is inspiring. So many of you have been so kind.
toaster

Postby moonrise » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

ONLY TEN DAYS LEFT TO GO FOR YOUR KICKSTARTER! It's almost hit 50%!!
moonrise

Postby ygmir » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:11 pm

cool concept!!!!

any more details?
How close are you to your funding goal?

Good luck.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby toaster » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:22 pm

ygmir wrote:cool concept!!!!

any more details?
How close are you to your funding goal?

Good luck.

THANKS!!! This phase of funding is wrapping up in 10 days and I have some people actively interested in seeing this come to life. Thank goodness... because I think this is an important piece.

This Kickstarter is almost 50% funded... and thank goodness so many people are being so supportive. I really feel it. I really do.

I am meeting a welder tomorrow and have a student welder on the team.

I so feel this!

If anyone knows Nytronix they are planning a whole performance at a party we will have at the tree one night. Nytronix is led by Onneleigh Sweetman and the girl rocks it. So there is a lot happening for it, but the rest of the time I hope people will see it as a place of peace and meditation. Maybe some cool fire, too!
toaster

Next

Return to 2011 Art & Performance