my gift

my gift

Postby lucky420 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:11 pm

Well I'm not sure I am posting in the right place, so mods feel free to put me in my place. Okay this is what I want to do; we would like to offer "a shot in the dark" We plan to go out on the playa at night and set up our lawn chairs, wagon w/supplies & lit up sign. We will offer shots of booze to others and a little trinket with our slogan on it, "I took a Shot in the Dark at Burningman 2011" We will have disposable shot glasses, limes/salt for tequila night, this will all go in a 5 gallon bucket so that we can take your used shot glass and dispose of it. We will probably also offer this from our camp on some nights. Has anyone done this before?
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Miles » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:39 pm

ill be there
I like bikes and stuff
Miles

Postby Trishntek » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:35 pm

Love the "Shot in the Dark" idea! Just be careful of underage bullshit with the LEO. So you would offer a different spirit each night?
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby lucky420 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:56 pm

Yes we are going to be offering a different spirit each night that we do this. I will be careful of the underage drinking. 2010 was me, my daughter and my son's first year. My daughter was just a couple of months shy of 21 so out of respect for those that run bar camps and to avoid any hassle we didn't go into any bar camps, just brought our own. If anyone looks close to underage they're gonna have to show id, sorry but I'm not able to afford a big ass ticket...
lucky420

Postby TomServo » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:39 pm

Sounds cool to me. Yeah, Id be careful about underagers...and the health dept. Might have something to say. Also, LEOs...do use night vision out there.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Elorrum » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:09 pm

I didn't go to any bars other than the BOOBY BAR, and they were very clear to ask two questions of every one I saw them serve. "Are you 21 or older?" and "Is it legal for you to drink in the state of Nevada?" The morning I left, somebody came up to my neighbors shade shelter where we were having breakfast. just asked, "Please, do you guys have a beer?" My neighbors just said,"sure" and gave him one. All kinds of alarms went off in my head... "hey, do you think that was o.k.?" I asked. Nothing came of it, but if you ask everyone routinely, you get into a good habit, and I don't think anyone minds.
Elorrum

Postby Fire_Moose » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:16 am

I doubt any LEOs will be trying to set up a sting on single people. they will make money stinging bars.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby Elorrum » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:43 am

I really like idea of a random deep playa surprise event. that Plus a good workable pun is something I always appreciate. You can get plastic souvenir shot glasses printed with your logo perhaps and put them on a string. Some of my favorite stories are about just riding around and happening upon something. I've considered just having a light and a chair and sitting out there, but it makes more sense to have something for your visitors to enjoy, instead of just luring them to the light like moths.
Elorrum

Postby AntiM » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:28 am

It is a good, workable idea. I have shotglasses I've received at Burning Man, I love them. Some are plastic disposables, one is glass, all are custom printed.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby lucky420 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:17 am

AntiM & Elorrum,
Thanks for the encouragement! We are still planning on doing this. I am going to have glass shotglasses imprinted to give as gifts with each shot. I checked prices and they weren't as bad as I thought it would be. Hopefully I will bring some to the MnG... I do plan on visiting your art gallery this year AntiM so if your not there I will leave you a glass.
lucky420

Postby mudpuppy000 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:25 am

That's a great idea. I was out by the temple last year at sunset when several people were getting married. One of the wedding party was walking around with a bottle of Dom Pérignon and offered me some. Never drank Dom out of a sippy cup before, lol. :)
Orphan Endorphin Camp - 7:00 and A for 2015
Micro/Homebrew - Infused Vodkas - Magic Goats
http://orphanendorphin.com/
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby AntiM » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:13 am

lucky420 wrote:AntiM & Elorrum,
Thanks for the encouragement! We are still planning on doing this. I am going to have glass shotglasses imprinted to give as gifts with each shot. I checked prices and they weren't as bad as I thought it would be. Hopefully I will bring some to the MnG... I do plan on visiting your art gallery this year AntiM so if your not there I will leave you a glass.

Wonderful! Although if you intend to give me a glass at the HFWA, step around and set it inside the shade structure. Anything out front is fair game to the masses. Although I am positive some random person would love a shot glass.

I am making gifts this year, if I'm in, remind me to give you one.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby lucky420 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:13 pm

It's a date
lucky420

Postby Elderberry » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:02 pm

Sounds like a fun idea to me.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:00 pm

One idea....

Keep your actual area lit with something low light...maybe red LEDs/lights? Red doesn't carry far....

Then have some single element that people can see a bit away...

This way, it'll have a real low-light speakeasy feel. And part of that allure for people I find is that they FOUND you. There's less of a feeling of discovering a rare treasuer when it's a ginormous loud/bright camp you can see a mile away.

We loved stumbling onto things on the deep playa!
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Burning Since: 2017

Postby tamarakay » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:21 pm

this sounds perfect. can an old recovering alky still play? i'll bring my own rootbeer!
i never thought about the whole id thing. geez, everyone under 35 looks like a baby to me.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby lucky420 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:26 am

jk, hopefully i will be over to see your cool hexayurt and bring you a glass

LoR, thanks for the lighting tips. Last year out on the playa at night we would get really excited to see some lights in the distance but usually all we found then was fenced off construction/supply stuff...lol. I am planning on out lining the words "Shot in the Dark" with blue and green el wire (thick) on our sign. So maybe the red leds placed in a small circle around us would work?

tamarakay, yes you would be welcome, rootbeer and all. last year was our virgin year and my daughter was not quite 21 yet. Out of respect for the people who run bars/camps we stayed out of them and just brought our own liquor. I have no problem carding people who don't look old enough...it's a rite of passage,no?
lucky420

Postby C187 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:28 pm

lucky420 wrote: I have no problem carding people who don't look old enough...it's a rite of passage,no?

That line right there should be used every time someone starts up the "to card, or not to card" debate on eplaya for the rest of the year.

I like your idea, I like the low lights, I like the nightly drink change. The only thing I can think of is containment of materials for when the wind gets bad. Along with a super bright hand held spot light for white outs, and to shine into LEOs SUVs as they buzz by.
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...
C187

Postby Savannah » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:37 pm

Following a light out onto deep playa! Like following a star. Really cute idea; I'd be tickled as hell if I ran into such a thing, and I love the idea of souvenier glasses. I would keep a disposable one or glass (even better, but naturally more expensive). If plastic, people should be encouraged to hold onto them if they have a reasonable expectation of using it again; cups are currency out there.

I would say change locations every time you do it . . .

Not everybody drinks, so if they don't, I hope you still offer the container. Maybe a little sparkling juice. :)
Savannah

Postby lucky420 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:02 pm

C187, I will have my little wagon and a cooler w/ice to keep the booze cold and I'm thinking a 5 gallon bucket w/lid for everything else. I like the idea of a bright hand held light...

Savannah, we're going to do glass shot glasses the prices really aren't that bad and most likely would not end up as intended moop. We will be changing places each nite, we're just gonna wander and set up where it feels right.
lucky420

Postby Elorrum » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:13 pm

tamarakay wrote:this sounds perfect. can an old recovering alky still play? i'll bring my own rootbeer!
i never thought about the whole id thing. geez, everyone under 35 looks like a baby to me.

This made me think... if starting these things, first drink, first cigarette, first whatever... the first time is the right of passage. ok,. What does the last time signify? Isn't stopping doing something a rite of passage as well? pardon me, I'm going to think on this awhile. Yay for soda pop, and I love rootbeer too!
Elorrum

Postby Bob Bitchen » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:38 am

Great :idea:
Just tell me where to go.
I'll Be there :D :shock:
Bob Bitchen

Postby lucky420 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:06 pm

Just head on out into the playa, we'll be out there.....
......somewhere
lucky420

Re: my gift

Postby skibear » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:24 pm

lucky420 wrote:Well I'm not sure I am posting in the right place, so mods feel free to put me in my place. Okay this is what I want to do; we would like to offer "a shot in the dark" We plan to go out on the playa at night and set up our lawn chairs, wagon w/supplies & lit up sign. We will offer shots of booze to others and a little trinket with our slogan on it, "I took a Shot in the Dark at Burningman 2011" We will have disposable shot glasses, limes/salt for tequila night, this will all go in a 5 gallon bucket so that we can take your used shot glass and dispose of it. We will probably also offer this from our camp on some nights. Has anyone done this before?

Kind of like the little red wagon that went down the road during my last
burningman. They handed out free beer for spanks. Only problem was she
wacked my naked rear end so hard it welted up. I had to stop at the nearest bar for ice to apply to lessen the swelling and pain.
:oops:
:shock:
crash & burn ski lessons given
skibear

Burning Since: 2002

Postby lucky420 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:08 pm

lol no spankins here, just a "shot in the dark"
lucky420

Postby socks » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:06 pm

Its just a great idea and i will see you on the playa
socks

Postby Bob Bitchen » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:40 am

I'll be looking for you

8) Bob Bitchen 8)
Bob Bitchen

Postby Galaxo Magic » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:23 am

I love the idea. I always like happening upon something in the deep playa. Always a treat. I have two glass shot glasses I have gotten over the years. They are prized possessions up in my liquor cabinet. They are for the most special occasions.

I sure hope that we can find you with our Pink Elephant mutant vehicle. I am all for taking a Shot in the Dark in 2011
Elephant trainer to the MV Beau Le'Phant, the pink elephant!
Camp Upsie Dasium
Galaxo Magic

Postby lucky420 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:13 pm

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and advice. I think this is really going to be fun and a great way to meet people...
lucky420

Postby lucky420 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:14 pm

edited for double post :oops:
lucky420

Next

Return to 2011 Art & Performance