The Pier

Postby moonrise » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:37 pm

What about a pile of old mattresses for bike jumping? paint them with graffitti?

cheap/free, easy to collect and haul to landfill after their 'afterlife" of being a bike jump landing pit. Just a thought...
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby snake » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:12 pm

ok, fbcota...where's your kickstarter link? peeps are raising thousands...get it going!!
snake

Postby Ogdenhousedj » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:48 pm

snake wrote:ok, fbcota...where's your kickstarter link? peeps are raising thousands...get it going!!

No shit
Ogdenhousedj

Postby fbcota » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:14 pm

Snake,

We are not jumping on Kickstarter so early. Their are allot of great projects on Kickstarter right now that need the money more then we do. I would like to give them all a chance to raise the funds they need before we start to muddle the water with another project.

Our Kickstarter will start in Late April and continue till July :).
fbcota

Postby MyDearFriend » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:01 pm

fbcota wrote:Snake,

We are not jumping on Kickstarter so early. Their are allot of great projects on Kickstarter right now that need the money more then we do. I would like to give them all a chance to raise the funds they need before we start to muddle the water with another project.

Okay okay

*drums fingers*

It's very hard to live so far away and feel like I am missing out on all the fun.

Will there be hoodies? I think you said something about hoodies. Not trying to be all consumerish about this but, I do need a hoodie and I'd just as soon you got the cash as Old Navy or whoever. :roll:
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby fbcota » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:38 am

mydearfriend:

I think the hoodies will be a kickstarter donation gift. Still trying to figure out where to put it at cost wise but we wanted the hoodies to be kinda special, not so common. Shoot me a message though. You want a hoodie, we are going to make hoodie so I am sure we can work something out :)

We did just finish our logo, take a look

The Pier logo! by fbcota, on Flickr

we are thinking of this big on the back with the name of the project on the front.
fbcota

Postby MyDearFriend » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:54 am

Oh my goodness those are beautiful and quite evocative, especially taken together.

Night and day... so romantic.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV5e7mWcQJE[/youtube]

*stops drumming fingers, starts tapping feet*

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Postby fbcota » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:50 am

Ooooh, I never thought of it that way.

Maybe the night one (white outline) small on the front of a black hoodie with the day one (black outline) big on the back,.... hmmmmmm
fbcota

Postby fbcota » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:45 pm

Well, we are having a giant fundraiser in Reno on May 21st to help make this thing come alive. We are following the amazing Yuri's night vibe and continuing it with "Cirque De mar" a naughty nautical themed carnival with 6+ Dj's, 4 live bands stiltwalkers, silks, hoopers, poi spinners, freaks, mermaids and Burners.

We are trying to capture that random madness feel of Burning Man. Outside and inside adventure will be found. We are building 50ft of "The Pier" outside, bringing out some of our best friends art cars and camp projects (Popcorn Palace, Ohh Beehive, etc,...), and otherwise just filling the place with strange random madness,...

If you like, go to http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=200636203299844

Thanks for listening to my little pitch. This project like every other project on the playa is a labor of love. I hate pitching events, but we need allot of help from the community to make this thing happen.

Tickets are available online at http://renounderground.com/event/saturd ... -mar-8pm-1 215-21/ or you can purchase from tickets from The Melting Pot in Reno or Prism Magic Clothing in Sparks, or at the the door.
fbcota

Postby googbox » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:32 pm

I like pitching events so I second the call for coming to Cirque De Mar.

It would be super duper happy great if we could have at least one boat/ship type art car at the event... I think there is at least one in Tahoe. IF you are the owner of such an art car and want to bring it, PM me.

ALSO-- WE NEED NAUTICAL ITEMS. I posted this on Shared Resources too but want to make sure everybody sees it.

We need:
Fishing Poles
Fishing Nets
Rope
Ship Rope
Treasure Chest
anchors
lobster & crab traps
barrells

If you have anything like this that you can donate, please PM me.

Thanks!
googbox

Postby moonrise » Sun May 01, 2011 4:07 am

Pirates and mermaids...you be the judge.

http://youtu.be/JNOt9LEX3ho
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby MyDearFriend » Sun May 01, 2011 4:20 am

moonrise wrote:Pirates and mermaids...you be the judge.

http://youtu.be/JNOt9LEX3ho

Dude that's awesome, thank you!!!

8)

PS I vote mermaids

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Postby graidawg » Sun May 01, 2011 4:32 am

pirates!!!!

This is getting to be a super cool project i already imagine myself spending a lot of time on the pier, just doing stuff or sitting watching things go by (as you should on a pier)

I love those hoody designs, i will probably make the pier a donation in july to get something that cool. and to wrap it in a ziplock for my journey back to england so as to make my cool friends insanely jealous.
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby MyDearFriend » Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am

Okay, so, speaking of hoodies, which I (cross fingers) will kickstart you for I HOPE, here's a gentle reminder that we are still waiting for a Kickstarter page.

fbcota wrote:Snake,

:oops: Not to pester you guys or anything like that...

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Postby fbcota » Sun May 01, 2011 11:03 pm

1. Our kickstarter is live: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1705373243/the-pier-burning-man-2011-art-installation

2. We built 50 ft. of pier this weekend :) Image
The Pier, Start by fbcota, on Flickr
fbcota

Postby snake » Thu May 19, 2011 11:09 am

the pier fundraising event "cirque du mer' is this saturday, may 21, at the underground in reno...bizarre, twisted things will happen.
snake

Postby fbcota » Fri May 20, 2011 1:16 pm

If you guys are planning to come by cirque and you have some nautical items that you think would go with The Pier please bring them by. At the moment we are in dire need (:P) of barrels, anchors, fishing poles, climbing nets and big ass rope.
fbcota

Postby moonrise » Fri May 20, 2011 1:56 pm

I'll bring a 7 foot interesting, old timey, fishing pole!

I'm bummed I missed you guys when you swung by the house to pick up the boats!! Ah well, see you manana, pole in hand.

I'll also swing by one (or two) of the marinas and ask for donations, maybe the burner(s) there will have some "Obtanium' to add.
moonrise

Postby Foxfur » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:59 am

Bumpity Bump!

How goes the Pier?
Foxfur

Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th - 404 Village Not Found

Postby moonrise » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:38 am

Foxfur wrote:Bumpity Bump!

How goes the Pier?

Oh, still looking for donations of interesting items. Probably more of the listed things fbcota posted above.

At the Cirque de Mar, I noticed many were climbing the rope type ladders, some more of those would be SCHWEET! (for the Pier monkeys)

PM fbocta if anyone has "Obtanium" to donate (I love that word, Obatium)
Or possibly more doughsky to BUY more items, hehe, any and all donations help.
moonrise

Postby toaster » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:37 am

I can't wait to enjoy your Pier... I am so excited about some of the projects coming this year and I have been checking in on yours.
toaster

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Sun Guardians

Postby fbcota » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:18 pm

Pier is going full steam ahead :). We have finished construction and are now working on props, lighting and sound!

Its kind of amazing to say, but at this point we have the funds we need, so please, if you want to donate give your money to someone else :P. We still need a ton of seaside props. So if you have old fishing photos, fishing poles, rope, chains, anchors, barrels, etc,...

Looks like the Black Rock Regatta will be on Wednesday night now. Should be pretty wonderful :)
fbcota

Postby HoopNymph » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:31 pm

I am looking forward to dangling my fins off your pier ..... AS A MERMAID!
Mind is clicking and ticking! Will engineer mono fin by the end of the week!
HoopNymph

Postby Foxfur » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:31 pm

fbcota wrote:Pier is going full steam ahead :). We have finished construction and are now working on props, lighting and sound!

Its kind of amazing to say, but at this point we have the funds we need, so please, if you want to donate give your money to someone else :P. We still need a ton of seaside props. So if you have old fishing photos, fishing poles, rope, chains, anchors, barrels, etc,...

Looks like the Black Rock Regatta will be on Wednesday night now. Should be pretty wonderful :)

Excellent!
Cleaning up in the shop I found yards of some ooooold hemp rope and a few yards of 1" weathered white rope (might make a good rope swing...).
I have 3 or 4 crabpot floats, orig paint and embossed ID numbers, whatcha'd see on any commercial fishing boat. Some line floats, net rope. Captain Steubing and Isaac wanna come too!
I'll give it all to you there.
I'm just not sure I'll be able to find you...
Bwahaha :)

Ff
Foxfur

Postby Foxfur » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:33 pm

fbcota wrote:Pier is going full steam ahead :). We have finished construction and are now working on props, lighting and sound!

Excellent!
Cleaning up in the shop I found yards of some ooooold hemp rope and a few yards of 1" weathered white rope (might make a good rope swing...).
I have 3 or 4 crabpot floats, orig paint and embossed ID numbers, whatcha'd see on any commercial fishing boat. Some line floats, net rope.
Captain Steubing and Isaac wanna come, need gift tickets. Losers.
I'll give the schwag to you there.
I'm just not sure I'll be able to find you...
Bwahaha :)

Ff
Foxfur

Postby fbcota » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:12 pm

Foxfur, what part of the country are you in?

That stuff is exactly what we are looking for. I am trying to think of a way to get it here before the Burn so that we can incorporate it into the art properly.

Yay mermaids!!!
fbcota

Postby capjbadger » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:14 pm

fbcota wrote:Foxfur, what part of the country are you in?

That stuff is exactly what we are looking for. I am trying to think of a way to get it here before the Burn so that we can incorporate it into the art properly.

Yay mermaids!!!

Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby fbcota » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:20 pm

He could have changed that. Shit, mine says Reno, Tahoe and Somewhere else. Up to 2 months ago that meant Indonesia smarty pants. And yours says Horus Left Armpit, which I was sure was somewhere in Syria.

If you are on the Oregon coast we may be able to come and get the items, we have a builder from Portland!
fbcota

Postby capjbadger » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:51 pm

fbcota wrote:He could have changed that. Shit, mine says Reno, Tahoe and Somewhere else. Up to 2 months ago that meant Indonesia smarty pants. And yours says Horus Left Armpit, which I was sure was somewhere in Syria.

My location is a bit of a joke based on the fact that the full map of BM looks like the typical image of Horus as a hawk holding two balls. It puts my camp right about in the left armpit. ;)

ImageImage

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Foxfur » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:08 pm

fbcota wrote:He could have changed that. Shit, mine says Reno, Tahoe and Somewhere else. Up to 2 months ago that meant Indonesia smarty pants. And yours says Horus Left Armpit, which I was sure was somewhere in Syria.

If you are on the Oregon coast we may be able to come and get the items, we have a builder from Portland!

Actually, I'm closer than the coast. I could meet your co-conspirators at Tanasbourne or something. Better know how to drive a pair of chopsticks. There's a full-auto mecha-robo sushi joint down the road.

Ff
Foxfur

PreviousNext

Return to 2011 Art & Performance