The Pier

Postby lucky420 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:17 pm

googbox, I totally thought the same thing at first
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:24 am

Hmmm. Can we make a raver fishing net out of rope lights and cast it out off The Pier? I'd like to do some catch and release on Friday night, but I just might have to subject them to The HypnoMitt before I let them go:

Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby thisisthatwhichis » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:24 am

WOW, MJM!!!!.... I remember that night!.... Nice memories!!.... :D :D
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon
thisisthatwhichis

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:12 pm

Truly! Some familiar yet blurry faces, TITWI!
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby moonrise » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:04 pm

googbox wrote:Hey HEY HEY!

We have a website. Check it out... Let us know if you want to volunteer and/or donate. And if you want to donate, you can do it right there, on the website.

www.thepier2011.com

ALSO-- Is there anybody in the San Francisco area who could possibly pick up and store some wooden planks for us in the next week? We could probably come pick them up Feb. 26th. I'm thinking they will take up about the space of half of my 2-car garage.

You can reply here or on the pier website or send me a PM.

Thanks everybody!!

Bump
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby fbcota » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:26 pm

I would pee my pants if we could get a fishing net with glowing weights around the end. Set it up, so that groups only see an interesting circle of lights. They walk in to the middle and say "I wonder what this art project is" and then BAM, we got them, haul them up to the pier, process and tag them then release most of them back to the wild. :)
fbcota

Postby DB Cooper » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:17 pm

The FBI tried to lure me with a trap like that once...
Anyone seen my briefcase?
DB Cooper

Postby snake » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:11 am

are you doing a kickstarter fundraiser as well as the 'donate' link on your website? kickstarter is almost like a little advertising mechanism in itself.
snake

Postby googbox » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:18 am

Hey hey hey- Reno and those who would want to travel to Reno for a fun time...

We're having a big fundraiser on May 21 at the Underground in Reno for the Pier.

Cirque De Mar*

An underwater circus party! There will be circus performers, carnival games, live music by El Radio Fantastique, and DJ sets by some of Reno's best DJs.

*We do realize that the correct French word for sea is Mer and Mar is Spanish, however We made an executive decision to use Mar because it linguistic jankiness evokes a shiftless cosmopolitan gypsydom; an esperanto of homeless wandering seafarers, a universal tongue of neer-do-wells and carnies and palm reading hobos.
googbox

Postby Super Evil Brian » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:02 pm

fbcota wrote:I would pee my pants if we could get a fishing net with glowing weights around the end. Set it up, so that groups only see an interesting circle of lights. They walk in to the middle and say "I wonder what this art project is" and then BAM, we got them, haul them up to the pier, process and tag them then release most of them back to the wild. :)

That's a few clicks beyond fucking rad.

We need some bleechers ...
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.
Super Evil Brian

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Elderberry » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:36 pm

fbcota wrote:I would pee my pants if we could get a fishing net with glowing weights around the end. Set it up, so that groups only see an interesting circle of lights. They walk in to the middle and say "I wonder what this art project is" and then BAM, we got them, haul them up to the pier, process and tag them then release most of them back to the wild. :)

Maybe OK as a thought experiment, but live on the playa? I don't think so.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby MyDearFriend » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:12 pm

jkisha wrote:

Maybe OK as a thought experiment, but live on the playa? I don't think so.

Well, I don't know about that, JK.

I grew up on the water down in Southern Maryland, and in those parts folks catch fish in what they call pound nets, which are basically big nets strung between tall poles or pilings. Seems to me that if you set up a pound net under the pier, your pilings would be there already, and if you rigged lines to your nets with counterweights up on the pier, you could, um, wait for the fish to gather around the bait and then maybe kick over your weights and raise the nets around your catch.

Then (cough) if you had a trap door or something in the pier, you could open it up, drop a ladder and invite your catch to climb up and be processed & tagged. That way you don't have to haul them up yourself and, has the added advantage of allowing the fisherman, if he has netted the precious Princess Sparkle Pony, to descend with dignity to, I don't know, dry her tears? admire her tutu? offer her some flavored lip gloss? and assist her tenderly to ascend. If he wants to. :twisted:
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:17 pm

googbox wrote:*We do realize that the correct French word for sea is Mer and Mar is Spanish, however We made an executive decision to use Mar because it linguistic jankiness evokes a shiftless cosmopolitan gypsydom; an esperanto of homeless wandering seafarers, a universal tongue of neer-do-wells and carnies and palm reading hobos.

Oh crap. My head just swallowed itself/
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby fbcota » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:04 pm

The Pier is a 2011 Burning Man Honorarium art project :D. I have been ecstatic about this for a week now. Thank you so, so, so much to everyone who helped get us this far. I am so proud to be working with so many stunning people to make this amazing piece come to life. Absolutely glowing.

We are going big. And we still need allot more help and support. Come join us on a build day. Come out to our FUNdraisers. Tell your friends about it. Donate nautical items like treasure chests filled with gold :P Or just bring a fishing rod to the burn,...

The audio system is back, along with the bait shop :). TinHalo, do you still want to help with it?

I am spinning around with such joy,... its kinda hard to believe!
fbcota

Postby moonrise » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:39 pm

Ah, very good news!! 2011 Burning Man Honorarium art project here we come.

I'm going to look at more "Obtanium" in Verdi, NV as soon as the snow melts...I finally found my pier demolition company buddies and their scrap yard is right there in Verdi, close to one of our off-playa build sites! They told me they have materials we will like, my fingers are crossed and the 'wish list' is in my truck!

....what sort of lures will work for hippie fishing? hmmmm......
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby fbcota » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:43 am

Verdi is perfect, anything we find there can just make the short trip to the build site. Moonrise, you have been a godsend my friend. Are you coming to Cirque De Mar on the 21st?

Ohh yea, come to our big Fundraiser party eplaya. Its called Cirque de Mar and it will be a hot mess of bands, dj's and a dirty circus nautical burny wierd madness. With 50ft of Pier!

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=200636203299844&ref=ts
fbcota

Postby Ogdenhousedj » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:21 pm

I think my wife and I are going to try and come out from Utah on the train for the fundraiser :D
Ogdenhousedj

Postby fbcota » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:07 pm

The train is a really lovely trip. And it drops you off about 5 blocks from the Underground where we are having the event :). I would love to see more dedicated burners at our little fundraiser, will keep the mood that we are going for :)
fbcota

Postby moonrise » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:55 pm

Oh yea, a handful of us will be coming in from Tahoe and the greater Reno area.

BTW, I think the dinghys, bouys and nautical stuff at my place will be melted off by May (currently they're under 10 feet of snow!) I'm happy to bring any or all for the Cirque De Mar, we can play it by ear. :)
moonrise

Postby fbcota » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:08 am

Would be great to have that stuff at cirque. We were hoping the snow would thaw by then and give us access to your obtanium goodies :)

I'm hoping the Tahoe tribes show up. I know of a handful of them coming but I really want to get our whole community at the event. If for nothing else to say hello and bounce around ideas for future collaborations.
fbcota

Postby googbox » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:38 am

Little Fundraiser?

No more like awesome! Stupendous! Mind blowing! Huge! Magnificent!

Well maybe not more than the underground could handle... that wouldn't be so fun.
googbox

Postby moonrise » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:28 am

Yup, the North n West Shore Tahoe Tribe Burners will help me get the "Obtanium" shoveled out and loaded up (we spoke about it last night) Some of them take classes at controlledburnreno.com, nice bunch of fire spinners!
We'll dig out early, give time to dry (if needed) I have shovels, truck n trailer on the ready, we're covered on my end!

~~~~~~Cirque de Mar~ here we come...!!~~~~~~May 21st!!~

~~~Imagine The Christina, a 65 Foot Yacht of South/East Shore Tribes, heading for The Pier on the playa!~~~

Edit for lack of coffee etc
moonrise

Postby fbcota » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:04 pm

Ok, I have a big question for the community:

Is 300ft long enough?
fbcota

Postby snake » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:10 pm

yes..it's not the length...it's how you use it.
so now you can focus on lighting...sound, interactivity, mermaids, water shimmers, bait shop?
snake

Postby fbcota » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:55 am

Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes. :)
fbcota

Postby oscillator » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:21 pm

snake wrote:so now you can focus on lighting...sound, interactivity, mermaids, water shimmers, bait shop?

Don't forget the mudskippers!
oscillator

Postby googbox » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:08 am

Those mudskippers are hypnotizing.
googbox

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:20 am

I'm just starting to visualize this. It's angled????
So the base of the pier is ground-level and it slopes up to its end? I guess that's the only way to do it, absent a true waterline.
Will there be any diving off the end? Even bungee?
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby fbcota » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:05 pm

Yes, angled. I'm optimistically hoping it may create an illusion that the playa is angled a bit when looking at it from a distance as the pier will have right angles in relation to itself and be slightly off in relation to the playa. The grade is almost imperceivable, 1.9 degrees or 4 inches over every 10ft.

I hope people will steer onto it form the esplinade and not really notice how high up they are until they get closer to the end. The end will be 10ft tall, so not super high, but without a railing (or with the sketchy railing we are adding at the end, I think) that height gets a little more intimidating.

We really, really, really want a ball pit, or foam pit to put at the end of the pier on a specific day. It would make a great bike jump! Both are really expensive though.
fbcota

Postby moonrise » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:36 pm

What about a pile of old matresses for bike jumping? paint them with graffitti?

cheap/free, easy to collect and haul to landfill after their 'afterlife" of being a bike jump landing pit. Just a thought...
moonrise

PreviousNext

Return to 2011 Art & Performance