The Pier

Postby fbcota » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:04 pm

Snow: Its cool. No Ken.

On playa we need a variety of help. Primarily we need pre-burn builders and after burn teardown people. But we will also need people during the event to check on the pier, help with moop, have fun doing events, drinking and telling never ending nautical stories.

Any help regardless of amount is helpful. Although we desperately need more builders.

I have been tying to think of great "Master" bait shop signs all day. Ideas?

Also, anyone want to throw out ideas for the Hippie fishing types, how to catch, cooking methods, short description. Something like:

Type: Grizzled leather Belly DPW
Best Lure: Jamenson's or Pabst tall can
Cooking Methods: Generally gamey, the Grizzled leather belly is best fried or slow roasted with a heavy marinate. Doesn't blend well with Sparkle Sea Pony as the unique flavors of both seem to offend everyones palette.
Note: Please throw back any Leather Belly if you find it has mastered the use of snark. They are a key member of the playa ecosystem, helping limit the populations of Brofish and Trustafishians.

We also need ideas for Mutant Yacht classifications.
fbcota

Postby googbox » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:08 pm

If you're on Facebook, please click Like on the Pier fanpage.

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic ... 3769813544

But keept this thread going as well!
googbox

Postby googbox » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:16 pm

Dude, did that link work? I thought with all the time I spend on the interwebs I could paste a link correctly.

I want to play the fishing game.

Type: Sparkle Sea Pony
Best Lure: Furry boot covers, flavored lip gloss, pasties
Cooking Methods: You'll need a good scrub brush to remove all the glitter, makeup and fruity body lotion. Marinade in a solution of vinegar and water and rinse well. Best eaten raw.
Note: Sparkle sea ponies, while not always being the most palatable catch, add a nice dash of color to your table.
googbox

Postby snake » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:06 pm

the facebook link is good for getting people to discuss things, but i still think you need a 'pretty' website that you control and do updates/progress logs on..much like jelly's. facebook is kind of too flat for that.
snake

Postby Asherbeez » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:11 pm

I started putzing around with creating a google site for the project but wasn't sure if someone had already started work on a 'pretty' site. I can keep going if you'd like but will need some more info from the team. Just let me know.
Asherbeez

Burning Since: 2010

Postby fbcota » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:23 pm

I'm working on the website thing. :). Should be up next week sometime.

The facebook page is mostly to keep people up to date on events and some general progress.
fbcota

Postby Asherbeez » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:29 pm

fbcota wrote:I'm working on the website thing. :). Should be up next week sometime.

The facebook page is mostly to keep people up to date on events and some general progress.

Sounds good to me!
Asherbeez

Burning Since: 2010

Postby moonrise » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:14 pm

This is the Obtanium I've collected for The Pier so far; it's a start! :D

"Obtanium, free or found things for Burning Man"...I like the BM lingo..heheheh
(notice a fire smoke plume to the right of the telephone pole and part of "The Big Blue Playa" in the background...TBBP flows into Pyramid Lake...nearby "TTITD")
Edited 8 million times for practice :lol:
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby googbox » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:36 am

Yay for Obtanium!
googbox

Postby moonrise » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:23 pm

I say slap some free-axles and wheels on the row boats and make them into push carts for people to play with on the playa around the pier lol
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby fbcota » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:47 pm

Ok grant writing time.

On a side note. We are going to do a girls in meat bikinis calendar to raise funds for the Pier. :). Seemed appropriate yes? :p
fbcota

Postby snake » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:16 pm

i think having some of the major 'characters' of eplaya featured on the calendar would result in more fundraising potential. can you imagine simon covered in corned beef hash, anti-m in spam, ygmir in bar-b qued ribs, eric in keilbasa, cryptofish in tuna, one eyed dick in hotdogs, etc. i'd buy THAT calendar.
though i understand hot chick have a certain appeal.
snake

Postby Tin Halo » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:19 pm

fbcota wrote:Ok grant writing time.

On a side note. We are going to do a girls in meat bikinis calendar to raise funds for the Pier. :). Seemed appropriate yes? :p

Considering fish bikinis might be considered 'crossing the line', I suppose so.
Tin Halo

Burning Since: 2004

Postby fbcota » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:49 pm

We will have a girl wearing fish heads. No lines to be crossed on this one :).
fbcota

Boats to Forever

Postby oscillator » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:04 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIrZmRZSazI[/youtube]
oscillator

Postby fbcota » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:53 pm

Wow, so first fundraiser (Sexy Santa) was the most fun about 30 burners could ever have. We raised about twice as much money as we expected and generated allot of new Buzz for the project. Yay!

Hoping to have 50ft of the Pier ready for our big fundraiser, a sexy seaside carnival party we are calling Cirque de Mer. So if you in Reno, the middle of May we are going to go wild (and if your in Reno in April we will also go wild for Yuri's night to support Jellyfish's amazing little Georgie Boy)!

Thanks SOOOOOO much to all the Eplaya friends who showed. We will have more little fundrasiers throughout the year.
fbcota

Postby snake » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:28 am

yes, that was alot of fun!! you should post a picture of yourself surrounded by the santa babes. this would be a good fundraiser for other projects in other cities next year.
snake

Postby fbcota » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:00 pm

Grant almost done. Sooooooo close I can taste it.

This is a shameless bump by the way.

But, it is pertinent.

What kind of performers do you think we should have around the pier during the week?

Do you think the pier would be better as a space without performers? A space that naturally creates it own vibe?

And,.... how do we ensure segways do not drive on the pier?
fbcota

Postby moonrise » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:50 pm

Seems some piers have a wrought iron fence/gate combo, an opening 6 inches too narrow for a segway ought to do the job

The wrought iron could be done in very wide bar spacing for a less noticeable appearance, posts should be visible enough for safety "accident avoidance" maybe paint something beautiful and highly visible in red and yellow colors on the entrance posts?

Glad to hear you're almost done with the grant writing, all fingers are crossed!

(I hope to hear from ya soon fbcota)
moonrise

Postby fbcota » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:53 pm

You shall :P

No fence. I don't like the image of fences. I just realized I already asked this question. Loosing it,...
fbcota

Postby AntiM » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:38 pm

Did you get the little nets?
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby snake » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:52 pm

performance begets performance. i think if you have a few scheduled events plus random peeps acting out during the week...it will engage more people...let them know it's okay to act out spontaneously on the pier.
that's what bman wants..interactivity. go for it in a big way.
snake

Postby moonrise » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:09 pm

Hang in there fbcota! No talking about losin' it...there is more muscle and brain power available...lucky420 and both her kids, 21 and 22 want to help. The kids are in Reno if my memory serves correct, her son can build, daughter can help also.

I have one nylon hammock, it'll look like a fish net..most likely more "Obtanium" will float our way come late winter/early spring.

Buck up fbcota...the docents I found, yay!, are patient...it'll be good me thinks, arg [insert pirate smilie here]

Anti-segway... perhaps some short, stout posts at the entrance end?
These would not interefere with the line of sight as much, eh?

Not sure if I'm spilling the beans but The Pier will have weddings on the T shaped end, man/wife and friendship weddings, isn't that sort of performance?
Hehehe...I just HAD to blurt that out! :roll:
moonrise

Postby fbcota » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:05 pm

AntiM: Yes, I did get the nets. I meant to send a thank you but the holidays got the best of me. They are super cool. They live next to the birds at the moment.

Don't worry moonrise. I am not cracking. The Pier is one of many large projects that I am working on. Grant is almost done. Planning a bunch of fundraisers, its all moving forward.

I'm kinda fishing for some new voices on the project on eplaya at the moment. Everyone has put in such amazing feedback, and I want to keep that feedback coming.

For the grant I have simplified the project a bit. I would prefer to under promiss and over deliver. I have removed the bait shop and the yatch club. I know, they are allot of fun, but I think they detracted a bit from the original idea a bit. I felt like they were a bit too "theme park" and not so "artsy". Hard to explain but they didn't fit the mental feeling I was going for.

I also dropped the sound component (I'm really sorry Tinhalo). This is mostly a budget and time concern. If we fund raise enough and find extra time to make it work WITHOUT a generator the we will install it. I just don't want a genny. I think this is a 50/50.

I guess I am back to the "pure" idea of the project.

Ohh, moonrise, no segway traps either. I don't want people falling down starting their walk down The Pier.
fbcota

Postby tamarakay » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:34 pm

i agree no posts or fences, but what about large stuffed fish? or carved posts that look like fish totem poles?
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby tamarakay » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:43 pm

well heck, that would also keep the wheelchair people off. not good. (back to pondering).
Love this whole idea though. i'll add these type items to my garage sale list
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby fbcota » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:12 pm

Its really important that handicap access is clear and easy. I promised a good friend :wink:
fbcota

Postby fbcota » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:40 pm

Ok, I think Audio is back as part of "Tier 2".

Everyone loves it, so I can't say no :P.

On a side note, do you guys think Burning Man has room for a Pier and a Harbor? I just got word that another artist is proposing a harbor possibly with a small pier. I am not sure if we are complimenting each other or in conflict with each other, hmmmmm.
fbcota

Postby AntiM » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:50 am

fbcota wrote:Ok, I think Audio is back as part of "Tier 2".

Everyone loves it, so I can't say no :P.

On a side note, do you guys think Burning Man has room for a Pier and a Harbor? I just got word that another artist is proposing a harbor possibly with a small pier. I am not sure if we are complimenting each other or in conflict with each other, hmmmmm.

Definitely a complementary piece. Both will resonant to a deeper degree with participants. Like a kaliedescope. Maybe I'll bring my fishing rods, do some pier paintings for the Home. I dunno, Godzilla on the dock?
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby fbcota » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:47 pm

WE NEED GODZILLA! And a couple fishing paintings :p

Thank AntiM for cheering me up a bit. :)
fbcota

PreviousNext

Return to 2011 Art & Performance