The Pier

Postby moonrise » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:51 pm

oscillator wrote:OK everyone in the Playa!

Aww, the top one looks like it has a little face! (is that REAL?) don't want to scare the hippies away. What size club do they use when hunting for these?
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby Sic Pup » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:48 pm

Curb Alert!

Yesterday, on my daily walk, my mind began to wander back to the playa as it's apt to do. It was windy and some dust kicked up in the air, I chuckled thinking this was childs play in comparison to seven weeks ago. Nevertheless I was temporarily blinded when I reflexly shut my eyes, upon opening them I was confronted with the visions of LaVerne, Maxene and Patty obstructed my path. Where they came from I do not know. I prefer to discard the thought that some souless cad had relegated such beautiful creatures to the curb along with a peeing-little-boy-fountain to await their fate and the next bulk pickup. They practically begged to come home with me and I, being the gentleman that I am, was not going to disappoint such a fine looking trio. I looked over my left shoulder and then my right and once I saw the coast was clear I covertly hid them in the bushes for late retrieval. Last evening I returned to the scene of the chance meeting, shut the lights and engine off and snuck off into the bushes (story of my life). After furtively admiring them once again under the streetlight I delicately placed them in the front seat thinking they might enjoy a warmer climate and they deserve the opportunity for better catches than the squirrels and worms of Lawn Guyland.

The voluptious vixens measure 18" x 18" x 5" (va va voom) from tip to tip and they're in pretty decent shape although Maxene's peak needs some work (and whose doesn't?). I don't know what type they are but basis the genuine simulated post and equally genuine simulated rope-like appendage I'm guessing they are not unfamiliar with piers. If you can use these birds and promise to provide a good home until 9/11 (ugh) just drop me a PM with an address and I'll ship this week.

P.S. - I know I'm gonna take a beating for this from some but no I left the peeing boy in the street so don't even go there,
Sic Pup

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:46 pm

Yeah, that whole peeing boy thing is a pretty powerful argument against spending time in Brussels.

Nice score on the Andrews, however.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby AntiM » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:11 pm

When I'm on the laptop and not the netbook, I will post the "no peeing off the bridge" sign from Japan, and the old pier postcard I found at Dad's house.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Tin Halo » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:49 pm

Somebody make this sign, please. Kthnxbai.

Tin Halo

Postby fbcota » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:34 pm

Ok, real life work stole me away from eplaya for a bit. And what happens? I come back to find all you ruffians have been finding awesome stuff and clubbing seals without me,... bastards, err, awesome people.

On my end, trying to get my shit together to get a first Pier planning meeting going. I am going to shoot for 2nd week in November in Reno. So all you Reno folk who have volunteered and I have yet to meet (I will try to remember that meeting at decom is a bad plan next time) come on by. I will pm/email everyone the details. It should be a mix of a meet and greet and a "look at the plans, give feedback" meeting. Maybe nail down a loose timeline and talk about fundraising.

Tin Halo: We NEED that sign. I'm thinking the front of the pier should have like say uhh, 20 suggestive signs all haphazardly placed on the same pole. All the sign suggestions have made me quite happy. I think it would be cool if people just showed up with signs and said "Hi, Matt/fbcota/mustachio/guy here is a sign for the pier."
To which I would say "Super sweet, want a warm tecate?"

AntiM: Pleeeeeeease, I want japanese sign! Pleeeeeeease.

Sic Pup: Sooooooo awesome. Those birds are perfect. I was wondering how the bird thing would work out. It seems like it will work out splendidly. :). I think I can ensure their safety until mid September. I will say though, if they go to Burning Man, they are virgins (I suppose) so who knows what shape they may come back in. Maxene may do too many drugs (even though 2011 is a drug free year) and have a bad trip. Patty may bail on her for a not so cute Trustafarian Seagull leaving LaVerne alone to demoop camp,....

Gawd, they even have little pier pilon bases. Can we pipe them to poop once an hour?

Moonrise: Your the man. Yay!

Oscillator: Maybe we could have a one night DJ set at the end of the Pier and call it the Seal Club. Ohh, maybe we could have a smaller set in the middle and call it the Baby Seal Club.

On the Coast Gaurd note. The pier is only 6 ft wide. But the support pillons are inside of that 6 ft. Which means 2-3 people can easily create and organized no Coast Gaurd choke point. :P. This Pier Kill Fascists!

Ok, on a serious note. If we did have an "all boats" pier party how many people will we get on this thing? I need to know, don't want it to collapse!
fbcota

Postby AntiM » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:33 am

These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Asherbeez » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:22 pm

Loving this idea!!! PM sent!
Asherbeez

Burning Since: 2010

Postby fbcota » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:37 pm

Yay!

Hey, I was just thinking. How do we deter most people from tagging or putting graffiti on the pier?

I don't think we can stop all of it. But I don't want the damn thing covered with stupid, piss poor tags by the end of the week.

Do you think a sign or stencil notes will work? Will that make it worse? Does the damn thing need a patrol? Maybe I am overthinking it and it won't get hit too much? (I just don't want the whole thing to look like a train car, if it gets tagged here and there no biggie).
fbcota

Postby Sic Pup » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:14 pm

I bet there's a "pier pressure" joke in here somewhere.
Sic Pup

Postby Tin Halo » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:37 am

Dammit! I hate it when I miss those opportunities.
Tin Halo

Postby snake » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:20 pm

since idiots tag the temple....i don't see how the pier will be exempt. and really, piers do get tagged.
snake

Postby Asherbeez » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:07 pm

snake wrote:since idiots tag the temple....i don't see how the pier will be exempt. and really, piers do get tagged.

A bit of graffiti may add to the authenticity. eg. Initials carved in a heart on one of the pilings, etc. But I agree with snake that without constant security, I don't see how it could be avoided.
Asherbeez

Burning Since: 2010

Postby moonrise » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:53 pm

Fake video camera surveilance...hahaha...yeah right.

I'll chip in some cans of graffitti remover (about $5 to 8 for a big spray can)....it works on my lower income rental in Reno (any burners want a cool landlord? It's in Stead and might have an opening soon...a duplex with yard space for projects)

I joke I couldn't afford to buy a rental in Calif so I bought in Nevada in(Stead) ouch!

I don't think they graffitti in SE Asia, do they? Maybe a sign of hands cut off (or some fake bloody hands hanging in a few sturdy wire metal baskets with an empty can of spray paint in each basket as a warning!..too gruesome? blame it on Halloween, I ain't THAT mean)

Seriously, the remover is sold at homeless depot, it works on most tags and can be painted over easily....can there be a variety of appropriate stencils and our own spray paint for cover ups of the "shadow effect" left sometimes after using the graffitti remover? Just a thought.

The remover might not be 100% effective on rough wood, a huge red blob of graffitti could be reduced to about a 50% shadow worst case scenario, then what? Apply something with a rag to cover that up? Meh, one mess over another but for some tags it'll work.

fbcota, some cool sleeping nooks/hammocks and such :D ...I'll crash/doze there a night or two...but 300 feet long and stealthy taggers...they might tag me too! Doh!

@Asherbeez...I knew you'd like it here! Welcome a/board...excuse the lame pun...boards, yeah we need boards!
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby moonrise » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:02 pm

When someone has a bit of spare time please let me know how to post a photo, ok?

I shot some of the boats and other pier stuff I scored just before we got slammed by the snow...the pile is schweet! (and growing)

I know/think a flickr account is the first step but after that, I'm not sure..do I unclick the HTML and BBCode and use the Img button? and then will it ask for me to attach? --->semi pc idiot here<---

gracias in advance!
moonrise

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:06 pm

Don't disable HTML or BBCode.
Wrap the URL for your pic in IMG tags.
Code: Select all
[img]Your pic[/img]

And Bob's your uncle.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:08 pm

Just make the pier out of distressed materials (like sea weathered posts) that are had to spray.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:22 pm

Flicker isn't the best place to hotlink from. I think Photo Bucket is the preferred one amoung serious eplayans.

Perhaps the coverage of the grafitti into something that's only half visible might look like grafitti a few years old. Okay, to put that another way, it wont cover it completely, but maybe incomplete coverage may actually add a certain kind of authenticity to the piece, as something that's been sitting for years acquiring various kinds of age markers.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby fbcota » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:40 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am not keen about any kind of threats, punishment, etc,... For me that is entirely against what I burn for. So, about the extent of the signage I can think of is "No Graffiti" but even then I don't like that. Maybe a "No lame graffiti writing please" sign. And no cameras pleeeeease :p.

I was looking for suggestions closer to Ugly's. How do we passively prevent graffiti. I think the gnarlier the wood is the less of a problem it will be is great feedback.

I'm not up for removing any graffiti. Sounds like a miserable real world task to me. And I really don't care about the small stuff. I would love to see James "hearts" Lidia and a bunch of little notes underneath it. Just worried about having the deck covered in a giant amateur tag. Although, I guess I could have a couple cans of spray paint waiting. And if it gets tagged with something dumb, then I can maybe talk my graffiti writer friends into covering it with something cool!

haha, the more I think about it the more I think it won't be a problem. There is no large area facing out. Only up. It will be hard to get a chance to tag the deck with all the people walking around on it. Most of the boards will be nasty, old and a mess. Plus, the theme is not Metropolis :p.

Ohh yea, South East Asia has all the same issues we have. Tagging is in the same places and I saw some pretty amazing graffiti writers, and street artist in all the major cities.

The S.E. Asia thing is just part of the look. Only a reference for the level of distress of the pier and the haphazard construction and repairs on the pier. The root look of the pier should look kinda like the scavenging populace of Black Rock City scrounged up enough shit to build a pier. Maybe it was first built in the early 90's and people have been slowly fixing it each year. In other words, it should look like a ramshackle, hard scrabble snotty burner wreck :p.
fbcota

Postby moonrise » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:25 pm

@Fishy Thank you for the photo bucket tip. 8)

@Ugly D Thanks I'll work on it. (Bob's cool, if he's my Unc, he has a bunch of realtives he'll be delighted to meet)

@ = me needing tech help from the college kids next door, haha. When I attended college the computers used a paper tape with holes punched in it sorta thing :oops:

@fbcota The description helps me a LOT...I was entralled by the intricate design and graphics of the Cradle and mention of SE Asian...I'll work with Bama and Kel for the rough timbers...before they end up going to the dump!
(btw, there's another art project that could maybe take any thrashed lumber etc we cannot use, I'll post and/or send them a PM when I see it again..just in case :mrgreen: )

I do agree, using graffiti remover would be a default world drag...camoflauge of unwanted/dumb amateur graffiti with freinds of The Pier's talented graffiti is clever art in action :P

FYI, I covered all the bright blue dots the TRPA splattered on every tree on my property with gray/brown/tan spray paint...it worked like a charm!

I don't go to BM to be punsihed either...my grandfather used to show/scare me with war photos of Japan + Halloween being so close...I guess I got carried away with the gruesome basket idea woops! :oops:

Edited because I care & fat finger syndrome/small keyboard issues :!:
moonrise

Postby fbcota » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:28 pm

We are having a Pier planning meeting in Reno on Sunday the 14th at 1. If anyone would like to come send me a PM.

And I got the birds, they are so cool. Although one of them didn't seem to make it during the shipping. I think a bit of glue should fix it up no problem.
fbcota

Postby moonrise » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:04 pm

Update;

My Pier demolition pals have been almost squashed out of business by the local government. Save the lake and all that biz....Moritorium on pier demo/construction....lousy timing.

Also, the one pier deomo construction pal who's going to continue with some repairs and such just lost his mother RIP (she was totally cool btw!) I don't think it's a good time to bug him.

This means demolition of buildings, as fbcota originally had plans to do will need to be persued.

WORN decking planks and any an all other materials from the region bring it on! Please!

I do have the ability and location to focus on "Obtanium" eg Nautical Items...and can work those avenues with gusto!

Some Tahoe burners and burgins have donated a nice pile so far...and will continue (photos on the way, just for fun and inspiration) they run a marina!
I found them on craigslist....probably will find more as time goes on...

The meeting will be good! see ya there... :P
moonrise

Postby prophet » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:49 pm

I was in a camp called Black Rock City Boardwalk this year (we were on the esplanade) and we had a bit of a nautical theme going on. I think we may be able to spare a few plaster seagulls and other decorations.
http://myplace.frontier.com/~brcboardwalk/[/url]
self-fulfilling prophet
prophet

Burning Since: 2016

Postby prophet » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:58 pm

Here's the web site again, and at 3:36 of the video there's a glimpse of our camp:
http://myplace.frontier.com/~brcboardwalk/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9Nhj2xM ... r_embedded
self-fulfilling prophet
prophet

Burning Since: 2016

Postby delle » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:40 pm

This is amazing!!!!

Can't be complete without some masts and rigging music in the wind.

:D

Anyone got some masts and rigging? I'm gathering wind won't be a problem.
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby fbcota » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:57 pm

prophet: That would be great. The more decorations we can acquire the better :).

Delle: I think a couple trips to the docks with a tape recorder is in order. I am planning to spend a couple days doing just that.

Ok, we had a great planning meeting. This thing is moving fast, yay!!! We are going to try for esplinade placement. We still need a bunch of on playa help. The Master Bait Shop will still be the first building at the front of the pier. And the second building will be the, dum duh la duuuh,.......

The Black Rock Yacht Club. :D I think we are going to make shirts for both to raise funds. Maybe even some cool hoodies so we can feel awesome wandering around the burn.
fbcota

Postby Snow » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:07 pm

unfortunately I couldn't make the meeting sunday.

Your shirt idea sounds like a GREAT fundraiser. I know of several burner/sailers who would want one.

What kind of on-playa help do you need? Did someone named Ken show up to the meeting? Although I guess thats better suited for email...
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby snake » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:50 pm

i think jkisha should man the 'master bait....er' bait shop for awhile. he's a natural...and i'm sure everybody would want to shake his hand...uh....sani-wipes at his side.
snake

Postby Snow » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:14 pm

HAHA there is a fishing shop in Vail CO (I think it was vail) called Master Bait. I know thats where Beaver Liquors is at (I had to buy a shirt there).
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby jkisha » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:24 am

snake wrote:i think jkisha should man the 'master bait....er' bait shop for awhile. he's a natural...and i'm sure everybody would want to shake his hand...uh....sani-wipes at his side.

Hey, I got my Masters from Baiter College!! :lol:

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

PreviousNext

Return to 2011 Art & Performance