The Pier

Postby Sic Pup » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:13 pm

fbcota wrote:I am leaning toward budgeting a wench

I've heard that with some fancy footwork and the right words you can easily pick one up on the playa, just don't use it as a bride. :wink:
Sic Pup

Postby gaminwench » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:14 pm

I'm a wench, but I really don't care to be budgeted...
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby fbcota » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:47 pm

Im just trying to dot my t's and cross my i's. Thats all, we need some entertainment during the build so what better way then to budget a wench.
fbcota

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:34 pm

I very much admire the inspiration of this project and can already imagine the sound of my own footsteps and those of a companion as we promenade the planks together at sunrise. I grew up near a harbor, and I always liked the creaking sounds as the gentle waves lapped at the boats below.
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby gaminwench » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:02 pm

I'm definitely wenchy entertainment, and I'm an excellent fluffer during build (not that kind, get your mind out of the gutter, boys)...
but I prefer to gift my talents, no budget required!
gaminwench

Postby Tin Halo » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:46 am

gaminwench wrote:I'm definitely wenchy entertainment, and I'm an excellent fluffer during build (not that kind, get your mind out of the gutter, boys)...

dammit!
Tin Halo

Burning Since: 2004

Postby ygmir » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:50 am

Tin Halo wrote:
gaminwench wrote:I'm definitely wenchy entertainment, and I'm an excellent fluffer during build (not that kind, get your mind out of the gutter, boys)...

dammit!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:47 am

Someone's got her early entry pass lined up.

Insert winkycon here.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby Snow » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:49 am

Fluffers are a key element of every project I've worked on!
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby Osen » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:41 am

awesome idea!!!! i will dander along... ;-)
Osen

Postby moonrise » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:42 am

small reminder, there's always one RED & GREEN combo light at the end of a Pier (I'm not just sayin' this to practice my colors btw, well maybe a lil')

boat hull damage prevention bumpers for the "boats" can be OLD TIRES hung by chains and or thick ropes

a flag pole is often popular at the end of a pier...it'll be interesting to hear what flag you'd choose! _______________?

Signage...I won't go into the whole "No Diving Alowed" vs "________ Diving Allowed" (encouraged, yes we know gals)...I'm not sure how family friendly you're aiming for...however I thought perhaps "No Lifecoach on Duty" might be funny
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:21 am

moonrise wrote:a flag pole is often popular at the end of a pier...it'll be interesting to hear what flag you'd choose! _______________?

Bunny Nation, of course. And "No Lifecoach on Duty" is definitely funny.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby fbcota » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:59 am

Moonrise: Good points. I was contemplating a flag pole at the end. Maybe the Zizzou flag.

Gwahahaha, you said family friendly,.... I think there may just be a small clump of signs at the front of the pier to overwhelm people. I think a special "Diving sign" will make its way into that collection.

Yay dandering.
fbcota

Postby moonrise » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:31 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
moonrise wrote:a flag pole is often popular at the end of a pier...it'll be interesting to hear what flag you'd choose! _______________?

Bunny Nation, of course. And "No Lifecoach on Duty" is definitely funny.

Reno decompression was a blast! (we get to party until dawn and beyond! btw I wouldn't dare knock SF's decomp...just sayin')

First I have to say fbcota, you're style of art on The Cradle is classy... Is that what you call "Tribal"???? The designs are intricate and look burnished in...I'm impressed! So much so, I'm going to add some special lumber from my personal collection to The Pier...several pieces of rough hewn cedar 1/2 log planks once owned by Frank Sinatra! (when the time comes you can keep them or burn them, it's up to you!..they can be sold or re-used...I have proof they are authentic)
I salvaged these from The Cal-Neva at Tahoe...they are from one of the secret tunnel entrances...Marilyn Monroe, The Rat Pack, Ol Blue Eyes, Sam Giancona, McGuire sister(s), JFK and you name it walked (snuck) through these entrances in The Days of Camelot. (me too but they were all "gone" by the time I got there)

Also, I reconnected with many, many locals at the Reno decomp who also know the pier demolition company owner...we'll all ask and ask for materials...call in favors, you name it, we'll use everything we have until we get results, or die trying! (the owner likes beer, phew!)

The ad on craigslist has already reeled in a serious offer of several mixed nautical items! All free! Sounds like good stuff from a Lake Front Estate...I'll be picking them up and adding them to the growing pile this week...woot!
(oh, and there are anchors! these can be used for the Frat Boy Rites of Passage thing :lol: )

(btw, If I have a windfall, I'd hire you to trim out my entire house in your art!)

@Fishy! I finally made a funny! Thank you for noticing! The signage "No Life Coach on Duty" could be augmented with a more serious note by adding "Life Coach on Duty" but we could put that underneath where only WE will notice/see it...our little secret...we can grumble to eachother or preferably have a few laughs. (there's also "Shallow Water" uh huh, dull but true on playa)

Yesterday some well dressed Russian (no brides involved, yet) tourists helped me drag the long, bleached, white, barkless, driftwood trees off the beach and into my truck, and they knew about Burning Man! It has been a good few days...we're on a good roll here...
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby bud buddah » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:57 pm

fbcota,
I'd be happy to make a buoy or 2. I think I can weld up some chain to hold it up about 10 feet in the air,and form a loop around the bottom to form a base. Then cover it with some seaweed, and we are all set. A red and green one out about 200 feet from the end would look good. Red Right Return, right? We could build a shipping channel :-) It would also be great if some folks made row boat art cars that could swing by and load folks up and down the ladders at the end.
JR
bud buddah

Postby fbcota » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:02 pm

Um, guys. I am speachless. Like seriously almost too much cool stuff to reply to. I'm a bit overwhelmed. :)

Moonrise: You are the man. No if, ands or buts. I will contact you soon to sort over this windfall of great stuff :). Having some wood with a little hisory on the project would be really cool. Maybe we can put a tiny, tiny, tiny plaque on each board. The kind that will cause a bottleneck from people leaning waaaaay over to read each one.

Considering you have a bad back you have been prolific collecting items.

Bud Buddah: I would be so happy if you made a buoy or 2. I am still unsure if I want floating buoys or on playa ones. Im actually leaning toward having them on the playa. Makes a nice, dried ocean/hard waterline look.
fbcota

Postby Tin Halo » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm

I finally got around to stopping at a recycled building materials place a few miles from my house... all I could do was stand there in one part of the yard and wonder how I could get all those perfect, worn planks to Nevada.
Tin Halo

Postby fbcota » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:16 pm

Hmmm, there must be a way. Any Colorado burners willing to move a couple tons of wood.
fbcota

Postby Snow » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:04 pm

I have a buddy driving out here from Leadville next month, not really near boulder, but at least its closer than NV.
Snow

Postby Tin Halo » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:21 pm

gaminwench wrote:I'm a wench, but I really don't care to be budgeted...

So, you'll work on commission, then? Excellent!
Tin Halo

Postby gaminwench » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:57 pm

I work on the gifting principle... if I like you, you get wenchy fluffing...
gaminwench

Postby moonrise » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:20 pm

I'm picking up two dinghy boats tomorrow! Very third world looking (what will the neighbors think!...oh, I forgot, they are burners also)
moonrise

Postby Recoil » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:55 am

love the idea and i will defently spend some time there hehe
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
Recoil

Postby busgypsy » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:57 pm

dock on the art cars next to the pier for a huga ass flotella playa party...would that mean that the freaking coast guard also be there? damn them.
If you dug a hole through the center of the earth,and jumped in, would you stay at the center because of gravity?
busgypsy

Postby Tin Halo » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:58 pm

If it's a Burning Man Coast Guard, then they might bring 'supplies', rather than confiscate them.
Tin Halo

Postby moonrise » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:33 pm

[quote="Tin Halo"]If it's a Burning Man Coast Guard, then they might [i]bring[/i] 'supplies', rather than confiscate them.[/quote]

Hahaha..that's funny Tin Halo

Maybe The US Ghost Guard will show up too
moonrise

Postby Elorrum » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:15 pm

"No Overhead Casting"
Elorrum

Postby oscillator » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:34 pm

OK everyone in the Playa!

oscillator

Postby Snow » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:40 pm

ha don't forget some clubs for baby seals!
Snow

Postby moonrise » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:41 pm

[quote="Elorrum"]"No Overhead Casting"[/quote]

what's that mean?

Oh, duh...(fighting a nasty cold) what will be used for bait? (there is a budget ya know)

perhaps a "gift certificate" for non-natural dreadlock rolling? (nothing against reggae!, love it) a hippie actually offered me $15 an hour to do this once, plus drinks...she said "you just roll the dreads between your hands like your using a stick to start a fire" hmmmm...fire? where?

I picked up some awesome "Obtanium" yesterday! as soon as I figure out how to post a photo you shall see...Obtanium=things found or obtained for free for burningman...what would a person who gathers these be called?
an Obtaniumist? or_____________????

fbcota reminded me, humor and South East Asian theme...I've never been to SE Asia but he's going this winter...and will be posting photos...that'll be a big help aside from google.
moonrise

PreviousNext

Return to 2011 Art & Performance