The Pier

Postby ygmir » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:12 pm

I like 6393, but, space the planks just enough for bike tires to fall into.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby zcassidy » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:06 pm

This is going to be great!

I too like the beginning of the pier opening up a bit to allow some social space, but nothing to grand. I imagine that it could be just a large enough area that would reflect real world use, with the small bait shop, room for push carts, a space for a large board (pier rules).

Maybe even a centerpiece (now I'm running with it so bare with me) or some kind of statue/plaque you must pass before the pier begins. On said plaque there could be a code, a poem, or a song: something that onlookers will have to mull over while they walk to the end. Maybe it can tie into the right of passage.

Enjoy your weekend!!!

(This thread is now responsible for 40% of my day dream space)
Be absurd with your goodness
zcassidy

Postby Snow » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:46 pm

loving it! especially that first one.
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby fbcota » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:09 pm

zcassidey: That's a good idea. I was thinking a sculpture on the end. But one at the beginning would be super cool. I think the beginning will have a couple signs. A big "No falling off/no diving" sign similar to what was at the sculpture in center camp. A "pier rules" sign, with a whole lot less rules and a whole lot more snark. A "No Segway" sign. The ferry schedule black board, maybe a sign advertising fishing trips, and then a couple snarky signs.

I am thinking the front will be wider. All the pictures are kinda "from the middle" of the pier.

I'm not sure I can achieve that wonderful aged wood look, but I am going to try my best. There is allot of old scrap wood floating around Nevada that could be added to this pier.

So, I tried to add the paper lanterns and they actually were a bit over the top. I am thinking of something a little more subtle now. Allot of the pier pictures have some pretty basic lights. Most look like yard lights,...

There will be some serious gaps in the planks. But none that should endanger a regular bike. I wanted to have full on missing boards like I mentioned earlier, but I kinda think it might ruin my burn if someone breaks their leg on my art due to no fault of my own. Of course, I am indifferent if people fall off it :P.

Ohh, 6393 was one sketchy piece of work. I remember watching people race scooters down it wondering how often they get dumped in the ocean,...
fbcota

Postby fbcota » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:01 pm

ohhh, other then kickstarter does anyone know of another micro-finacing fundraising resource?
fbcota

Postby Snow » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:31 pm

Faux painting could also be looked at for an aged effect I agree there is a LOT of perfect aged wood laying around all over Nevada. A lot of Ein Hammer was salvaged materials from a few sources, including laying baking in the dessert sun for 80 years.

I just sent you the email with contact info (was waiting for permission to pass on info). Can't wait to talk some more, I'm really digging this so far.

There are several small art grants if you know where to look/ask. I'll put together a list and send you some info next week...and talk to someone who is more in the know than me, I'll pass on your info there too. Kickstarter worked great for us this year. (Thanks once again for anyone who donated, even a single dollar was appreciated.)
Snow

Postby ehcsztein » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:41 pm

fbcota wrote:I was thinking a sculpture on the end. But one at the beginning would be super cool...

How about a semi-giant cephalopod surfacing from the playa at the end of the pier? Tentacles and what not made out of wire and EL to provide a ground install to threaten those "swimming" by?
ehcsztein

Postby fbcota » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:03 am

EL wire cephalopod at the end would be amazing!
fbcota

Postby Tin Halo » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:52 am

The "No Segway" sign is awesome.

Aged look: see my post in the first two pages. 1 part used motor oil, 1 part diesel. Brush on, let dry.
Tin Halo

Burning Since: 2004

Postby fbcota » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:43 am

For the aged look I am more concerned about the cut of the wood. I think I will age all the wood like you suggested, but it would look so much cooler with allot of weird cuts of wood
fbcota

Postby brcmysharona » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:11 pm

First, I love your project. And now my opinionated comments:

No handrails! Maybe partial ladders, at the high end. I liked the comment about rope ladders if they don't extend too far.

Your catch and release measure stick(s) can have drawings/pictures of various animals and fish, as well as versions of people wearing typical playawear (tutu, utilikilt, shirtcocker)
[/quote
zcassidy
and we can have a pulley right next to it to hang hippie fish
upside down so the fishermen can take a picture with their catch]
SO fun!

Could the "noodles" sold as pool toys be made into the liferings?

Does it have to be near the Esplanade? I agree with Tin Halo, it seems to be a destination. Of course, if it's along the Esplanade it would be best near the Playa Surfers camp. Wherever it is pointed will be perfect. Art cars already have to go around stuff, but having them "docked" would be awesome.

You can use the little viewfinders that are kids toys, possibly with little pictures of oceans in sepia tone, if there are such pictures. Probably can be found at thrift stores, I'll keep an eye out.

The wood used would not be so donatable if drenched with oil for "aging" but would add to burning effect if you choose to burn it.
Would used pallets be of any help? Some places give them out free. I could find some if they would help. How many would be too many?

Maybe there could be a bike rack at the beginning, if only to encourage people to start off at one end.

I can't wait to see your signage! "No diving" and some version of "master baiter"
It's like I'm real now, where before I was only imagining me.
brcmysharona

Postby Tin Halo » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:38 pm

I stopped by the meet'n'thankyou party put on by the fine folks who did 'Intersection' this year (I was one of the voice tracks). Was discussing this project with them, and mentioned the debate over location; when I mentioned a deep playa location--and especially at night with art car boats docked there--there was something just short of swooning. Most seemed to be in line with the notion that while a near-Esplanade location would be interesting, the deep location would be stellar.

Food for thought.
Tin Halo

Postby fbcota » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:14 pm

Damn, that is food for thought. Hmmmmmmm

I am getting 50/50 on placement. Good thing is this can take its precious time as we don't need to decide on placement till ohhhhh, August,...

Ok, crunched some numbers.

Construction material, with all the decking found/dontaed: $3500.00
Decking if it needs to be purchased: $1620.00

With decorations, audio, lighting, solar, basically the full schebang total cost (without logistics) should be around $6500.

Ummm, not sooooo bad,.... its 650 people at $10 each,...

Ohh, don't think this thing will be burnt on site. The cost of DG alone rivals the cost of the whole project!!!
fbcota

Postby AntiM » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:43 am

$6500 is doable if you start now. I'd pitch in.

And yes, I know I haven't contacted you yet about my modest fishnets....
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:40 am

fbcota wrote:Good thing is this can take its precious time as we don't need to decide on placement till ohhhhh, August,...

Again, check with the Artery. If they don't place you, don't you have to wait until gate opens to get in? And this looks like a project that will need extra time.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby fbcota » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:45 am

This project will go throught the artery just like the past couple years projects. Every project gets placed as long as all the paper work is done on time from what I understand. I always try to work closely with the Artery on every project I do. And since the ultimate decision on placement is up to them I just try to ask for the area I think that will work and keep my mind open to changes.
fbcota

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:22 pm

Okay, sorry, was trying to be helpful, but you know more about it than I do.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby fbcota » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:36 pm

Continue to be helpful please :p. I tend to forget things and its good to be reminded.

What was that about wheel chair access :p.
fbcota

Postby Miles » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:17 pm

if you're serious about having the trophy catch pulley thing, you could use those velcro ankle straps that bungee jumpers use.
I like bikes and stuff
Miles

Postby Snow » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:29 pm

Not too bad of a price at all!!! Certainly that makes the carrot seem close enough to reach and lunge FORWARD!

I'm torn on the deep playa vs esplanade as well!!!!
Snow

Postby fbcota » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:57 pm

Miles: Bravo, that is a fine idea. I want to have the "hippie fishing" station. Another artist had some great ideas about signs and different types of "catches" that was pure genius!

The price doesn't seem unreasonable considering how big this thing is. I know its happening, still not sure how but that is the fun of the broke Burning Man art.

Ok, benches? I am thinking they would be nice? Thoughts?

Railings at the end? Both a safety and a look thing. I keep seeing an image of a woman in a dress leaning on a railing looking out at the end of the pier. Thoughts?

One more, I am thinking about having the pier end in a "T". The "T" would be about 18ft long and 6 ft wide. Adding some room at the end for boats to park and people to hang out. It also makes it viable as a performance space. Ideas?

Ohh, tapering the pier toward the end is kinda a pain from a building perspective. Without the taper, we just need to make 27 similar pre-built 12' frames and bolt them together. With the taper we need to do a ton of custom cuts and keep the frames in order. Not huge, but it adds a good bit of work.
fbcota

Postby gaminwench » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:05 pm

Lovin' the "T" at the end... rooting for deep playa install, with burn...
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:41 pm

Fishing contest?
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby AntiM » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:48 pm

Benches... places to sit ... kegs, barrels or casks? Cargo boxes? With peepholes or growly noises?
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby fbcota » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:23 pm

Fishing contest has to happen. What day?

I was thinking simple benches at first. But some wooden barrels would be super cool. Little monsters in the barrels, :). I wish,... (all these great ideas I really want to implement. Just worried that it may be over reaching a bit. Need to find people who want to make barrel monsters)

For all the Reno people, I will be at Reno Decom would love to meet up and talk about whatever. Be nice to get some movement on the pier, but even nicer to meet more of the wonderful Reno burner community :)
fbcota

Postby Snow » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:41 pm

A helpful tip: Put all the ideas into a couple categories. Ones that are crucial to your vision, ones that would really add to your vision, some good ones, and ones for when you get extra time. This may help prioritize where to spend your (and othes) time first.

I had to add this, because I alone can think of hundreds of cool things to go on the pier, more than could fit.
Snow

Postby Pink Daddy » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:21 am

So, it might be time to actually organize this project... off ePlaya. Gather all the information in this thread, create a contact list of people who have expressed interest and what they will be work on, etc etc...

The sooner the better...
San Diego Co-Regional Contact (E-mail: sandiego@burningman.com) - Camp Inspiratum - What inspires you?
Pink Daddy

Postby Tin Halo » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:27 am

It a-piers you're correct.
Tin Halo

Postby Pink Daddy » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:14 am

Don't laugh at me too much... but I just now noticed how my signature picture directly relates to this art project.
San Diego Co-Regional Contact (E-mail: sandiego@burningman.com) - Camp Inspiratum - What inspires you?
Pink Daddy

Postby Tin Halo » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:42 am

And this whole time, I thought it was inspired by this thread...
Tin Halo

PreviousNext

Return to 2011 Art & Performance