Shellbacks Unite!

Shellbacks Unite!

Postby Pink Daddy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:04 am

When I read about next year's theme, one of the first things that popped into my head was a discussion between a fellow San Diego Burner (Inspector Gadget, aka Brady) and myself. He is prior U.S. Navy and I'm still Active Duty and we brainstormed about recreating and reinventing the 'Crossing the Line' ceremony conducted by seafairing folk around the world.

The feat of crossing the equator, at sea, is a time honored tradition that is still being practiced to this day. The 'Rite of Passage' contains many humorous and fun events and ceremonies.

Perhaps some fellow trusty Shellbacks would be interested in brainstorming a ceremony to cleanse Black Rock City of some dreaded Pollywogs!!
San Diego Co-Regional Contact (E-mail: sandiego@burningman.com) - Camp Inspiratum - What inspires you?
Pink Daddy

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:52 am

Not a bad idea. Aren't we always crossing the equator?
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby AntiM » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:01 pm

Love it. MyLarry is a Shellback and a Bluenose too. I am ex-Navy, but served when women weren't on warships. I have done time in Diego Garcia though, although I know crossing the equator by air doesn't cut it.

MyLarry was considered crazy... he bared his teeth at the baby's belly and they gave him a pass on the kiss. Neptune's Baby Kissing Booth?

Would little laminated cards be too difficult? I have my playa rebirth certificate from my very first year, well designed and indeed, laminated. Pre-MITM, thank you very much.

On going camp activity or a one time perform deal? We could do shifts when we aren't otherwise obligated. He still fits into his uniform.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

rites of passage

Postby lothos 1162 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:18 pm

bring on the rubber hoses,I'll be King Neptune and I'll bring the jar of cherries.....playa polliwogs beware.Lothos
lothos 1162

Postby fbcota » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:44 pm

I think its a fabulous idea!
fbcota

Postby Pink Daddy » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:42 am

I'm thinking that this would be a daily thing, like at noon. It wouldn't be a theme camp, just an event.

Trying to think about which customs could translate over. Obviously, the pirate theme and the royal court of Neptune. The dyed food would be easy to prepare. Not sure how messy we want to get with it. A kiddy pool for them to get dunked in would be funny, but it'd have to be surrounded by a large evap pond. We could also could have a huge collection of plain white t-shirts and markers that we can write on, then let them keep as a gift.

One of the funniest things about my 'crossing the line' ceremony was the t-shirt that a friend of mine made. On the front it said 'King Neptune was a fairy'. As I was approaching the court, one of the shellbacks saw my shirt and told Neptune about it. He gestured me to stand up in front of him. He read out loud the t-shirt, through a microphone, and when he got to the last word... he immediately sent me to the end of the line to start all over again.
San Diego Co-Regional Contact (E-mail: sandiego@burningman.com) - Camp Inspiratum - What inspires you?
Pink Daddy

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:23 am

There are millions of initiatory rituals that can and will be indulged next year. Stay tuned.
Ugly Dougly

Postby bluesbob » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:03 am

Funny, I thought of that too when I read the theme. I never got a chance to cross the equator. My ship (USS Lynde V. McCormick, DDG 8) was blackballed from doing so when we caused $30,000 worth of damage to the Officer's Club in Monterey, Ca.

The entire crew thought it was worth the cost.
bluesbob

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV

More San Diego Shellback Burners!

Postby DeusRegit » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:02 pm

[quote="bluesbob"]Funny, I thought of that too when I read the theme. I never got a chance to cross the equator. My ship (USS Lynde V. McCormick, DDG 8) was blackballed from doing so when we caused $30,000 worth of damage to the Officer's Club in Monterey, Ca.

The entire crew thought it was worth the cost.[/quote]

bluesbob, when were you on Lyndie? My dad was COMDESRON 7 back in the '60's and Lynde McCormick was one of his ships.
I'm retired Navy and a Shellback.
I'll watch this topic closely as I'll be returning to BM this summer.
I work out at San Clemente Island. Here's a link to my website - click on the link to Youtopia 2010, I did Panotopia.
I also did TMA-3 at BM 2009.
the Sandman
I'm not burnt, just lightly toasted.
DeusRegit

Burning Since: 2007

the link

Postby DeusRegit » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:35 pm

sorry, forgot the link:
www.burningmanzeroseven.com
I'm not burnt, just lightly toasted.
DeusRegit

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:54 pm

I steamed with that squadron as well, but in a different tin can.
We were just about to cross the line, but were called away to patrol the Persian Gulf.
Ugly Dougly

Postby gordoSF » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:15 am

Wow! Sounds great, King Neptune is normally the oldest(Date crossed), Maybe get a Jolly Roger With the head of the BM with crossed bones. 8)
Living to Learn

GORDOSF
gordoSF

Return to 2011 Art & Performance