Newfie solo virgin burner - should I join a theme camp?

Newfie solo virgin burner - should I join a theme camp?

Postby chaZarlotte » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:06 am

Hi New friends!

My group all bailed but I just booked a flight to SF anyway and a seat on a Veg oil powered bus! SO excited!!

Think I should join a theme camp or wing it with the new friends I'll surely meet on the bus?

I would make a great addition to a camp - My mad skills include but are not limited to: hula hooping, cooking, painting,shoulder rubs, singing.And I'm a professional costume designer...although I am new to Burning Man I've camped tons and in the desert too. Female, mid thirties.

Thought I'd put it out there, it'd be cool to be part of a special project...but advice for winging it would be swell too. Either way, it's gonna be a blast and a half!!!!
chaZarlotte

Re: Newfie solo virgin burner - should I join a theme camp?

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:24 am

No.

Be a solo badass!!! 8)

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby atomosk » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:37 am

Theme camps often require fees. Not worth it in my book. Best to fall into a group of friends, even if you meet them here online or on the bus. If you aren't the type that thrives on structure alone you probably won't be at camp most of the time anyway. Camp with anyone that's pleasant to be around in the morning and in the afternoon when you're back for meals and changing. Otherwise you'll be meeting people all the time and perhaps even moving your tent in with a group you meet there. Be open to anything!
atomosk

Postby Savannah » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:50 am

If you want amenities and can't provide them, join a camp with fees. They are as low as $50 and as high as--well, no one knows for sure. But you usually have to write them a nice letter of introduction and tell them why you like their philosophy and why you would work out well with them specifically. You generally have to pursue them via email or private message, and know that at this time of year they may be a little slow to get back to you.

If you just want company, join up with the folks on the bus and/or camp where you like and introduce yourself to neighbors. It's almost impossible to be alone.

There's also a camp called Orphan II, right here in 2011 Theme Camps. They have shade (double check that) but are about self-reliance + companionship, like their originator Orphan/Endorphin Camp, and Stag Camp (both of which are currently full).
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby TheBigTicket » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:12 pm

Last edited by TheBigTicket on Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheBigTicket

Postby chaZarlotte » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:18 am

Awesome thanks for the advice, peeps, and the vids. I am fully prepared to have my mind blown. I'm getting a few tempting offers so its gonna be hard to decide:) and I'm not afraid to wing it. I fully intend to step out of my comfort zone and release a few more inhibitions with this experience.

Maybe I'm worried about not being as prepared as I'd like because I can basicly only take what I can carry on my 115 pd frame. But there will be people around to help me and share their shade structures right? I'm probably silly for worrying about these small details, hey?
chaZarlotte

Postby Savannah » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:21 am

Shade is not silly--shade is your secondary concern, after water! :) There are bars and theme camps all over the playa, which have shade, and there is shade at center camp as well, but you will either want to bring a personal shade, camp with a camp that has one (most do, but always ask) or be resigned to roaming for it at 9am when your tent gets too hot.

People are nice and tend to share, but if they're strangers, let them offer--or ask.
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Packoderm » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:54 am

Savannah wrote:There's also a camp called Orphan II, right here in 2011 Theme Camps. They have shade (double check that) but are about self-reliance + companionship, like their originator Orphan/Endorphin Camp, and Stag Camp (both of which are currently full).

Sorry, but Orphan II Camp is filled.
(currently Zeke Chaparral)
Packoderm

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:54 am

Or hang at center camp. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Gusthefuss » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:19 am

Hey newfie solo
You'll be fine with just bringing a tent and food and water and hanging with the people you meet on the bus. Come look me up at 3:00 and A. I'm part of Apres ski camp. Were from Vancouver.
My parents live in NFLD in Bay Roberts. I would love to hear your accent on the playa. My Name is Travis
GUS TRAV
Gusthefuss

Postby chaZarlotte » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:57 am

Hey Travis, I've just ordered my tank from Jane. Met her while couchsurfing a few years ago. See ya there!
chaZarlotte

Postby Gen ov eve » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:17 pm

I'll be on that same bus with you, and I am going solo as well, and still not sure where I will be camping. I am not really worried though, as I've got a tent system rigged up... but I would still prefer to find somewhere to camp with shade. Considering joining orphan III, but keeping my options open at the moment - knowing I should probably act fast if I will join a camp. I am really hoping something happens spontaneously... the way I like it. I've talked back and forth with Ethan of the Veg bus, and he said he'd connect me with others riding the bus that are also not placed with a camp. I'll let you know if I hear back :)
Gen ov eve

Postby Brother On » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:47 pm

We are a small theme camp from Calgary. We love to have fun.
Camp is low key. We have a 12 foot tower to hang out on, shower, water evaporation system,misting
approx. 2500 square feet of shade to live under and set up tents under(cooler and less dusty). Camp fees are about $80.
Check out churchofrespect.com to see what camp looks like. We have placement at 7:30 and g.
Let me know if you would like any more info.
Brother On
Brother On

Return to 2011 Theme Camps