Looking to join a camp - 2 burning man virgins

Looking to join a camp - 2 burning man virgins

Postby sequoia » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:45 am

Hey,

I was looking for any suggestions for a theme camp for 2 London virgins? Somewhere with a great balance of people up for exploring the Playa, partying and creating mischief and a warm, welcoming atmosphere with a great space to chill and regroup.

x Katy
sequoia

Re: Looking to join a camp - 2 burning man virgins

Postby Bold » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:10 am

Katy, you're probably not going to get a response without qualifying the amount of time/effort you're willing to put in to help a theme camp accomplish its goals. Partying & mischief is all well and good but that doesn't give anyone a sense of what you can contribute. Quite the opposite in fact. Theme camps require a lot of work. That said, good luck in your search!
Bold

Postby sequoia » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:23 am

Thanks for the advice : ) We're happy to pitch in a help with pretty much anything, what ever is needed. We're not performers or artists but are willing to get stuck in x
sequoia

Postby Savannah » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:11 pm

Katy, look at "How to Join a Theme Camp" at the top of the 2011 Theme Camps forum, then look down the list for a camp whose mission speaks to you, so that even if they want 4 hours of work per day and X number of dollars, it'll be worth your effort and expense for the perks of a camp. Then write an email saying why you're right for them--almost like writing a cover letter for a job, but not so stiff or formal. They want to have a good Burn as much as you, so they're selective as you would be if you were inviting people to camp with you.

(Rarely do theme camps recruit. You usually have to go to them.)

You might also click on Regionals at the main Burning Man site and join your local mailing lists. There are London burners, and you should network.

Finally, realize that you don't need a camp to survive. If you can pound rebar, consider buying supplies in Reno or SF and being radically self-reliant, which is one of the Burn's 10 Principles. You can visit theme camps all day if you want, with your time totally as your own.
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby sequoia » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:41 pm

sequoia

Postby Savannah » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:59 pm

You're welcome! Forgot to say--in case it isn't obvious--somewhere between being totally alone* (or a deux) and being totally surrounded by a theme camp is simply camping with a small group who doesn't put on a show of any kind. This can be very positive, provided people talk it out beforehand, everyone reads the Survival Guide, and if everyone remains responsible for themselves ultimately . . . even if they help each other out, too.

* You're never really alone there. Start by introducing yourself to your neighbors.
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby powermacdaddy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:45 pm

HI Im Chris,
Im assembling a camp. Its a loose knit group of veterans and newbies. We've got about 7 people and looking for 4-10 more.
Theres me, Chris Im 37 and this is my 6th burn, John (27) an english teacher and his 3rd burn, a couple russian kids in their early 20's
and theres Cooper and Susan who fill out the senior category as grown up hippies. We're coming in from a few different parts of america
WE are currently taking new members.
This is my unique signature block and it expresses who I am while being entertaining for others to read!
powermacdaddy

Postby sequoia » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:27 am

Hey Chris, thanks so much for replying and your kind offer. At the moment things have started to sort themselves out but if they don't i'll def be in touch!

x
sequoia

Postby powermacdaddy » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:15 pm

OK if IM not here, you can reach me at my name @ gmail
Last edited by powermacdaddy on Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is my unique signature block and it expresses who I am while being entertaining for others to read!
powermacdaddy

Postby Elderberry » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:34 pm

powermacdaddy wrote:OK if IM not here, you can reach me at powermacdaddy at gmail dot com

You might want to edit your post, as I did in the quote, so that the spam bots don't pick up your email address and fill your inbox with tons of junk.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Return to 2011 Theme Camps