WHEELCHAIR CAMPING AND MOBILITY SERVICE AT 7:00 CENTERCAMP

Re: WHEELCHAIR CAMPING AND MOBILITY SERVICE AT 7:00 CENTERCA

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:59 am

The Rat Lady wrote:I guess if you want people to cut you some slack when you are busy and stressed out, you should do the same.

+1
The Rat Lady wrote:Baiting someone to watch them blow up and then cry "poor me" when they do is just too easy.
Let's all just play nice.

What, are you saying that offering a chair was some sort of "bait"?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby ibdave » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:04 am

powerchair has made it know to ANYONE both on and off eplaya/playa that if it's not his way, it's the highway... Were not all perfect like he is and for that is what were issue. Not his mission or campmates. The real truth is waiting for those who want it..... ask around... :o
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby pinemom » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:07 am

Thats why we all have secret back rooms, so we dont public notify of Numbers of gifts we need. We do that in private, every year we take stock of what we had what more we need. No one gets to see that. Becuase thats like showing the children all their gifts at Christmas before we wrap them. Kinda takes all the fun out of it!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby Lassen Forge » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:01 pm

Well.... we for one are a little curious. It's obviously not the same management as the former management when it was HotWheelz. I have said it before and I'll say it again that I like, no, loved the service that they provided, it saved a lot of burners, much as HotWheelz has done for many, many, many burns.

The disconcerting part is the blasting, publicly, on this board, of someone who not only do I know, but who benefitted from the assistance of HW in former years,and the interesting comments about certain and various "PM"s. I don't think HW would EVER do something like that (no, I know they wouldn't) and hope this was merely a case of post-playa-partum rather than a radically negative change in what has been, for many many burns, an amazing and wonderful gift on the playa.

Something to remember - IF you are going to be a sanctioned and public and visible part of what is put forth as a department of the org, you have to remember that what you say will reflect back on you, AS WELL AS the org. As such, I might suggest a little better PR work... and a very careful and judicious wording of messages, PM's and postings here. Like reading what you post 3 times before you hit send, and remembering you have an audience of thousands, including members of the senior staff, and the people who will either enhance your reputation or ruin it! Just a suggestion... ok?

See you in... hell... is it 49 weeks ALREADY??!!

bb
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Eric » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:04 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Mods, how far does a thread have to go before it gets locked, quarantined or yanked?

Personally I think it has to go farther than this- this is pretty normal and I for one don't want to shut down someones right to talk, regardless of the popularity of what's being said. If it crosses the line into personal attacks that's different.

I also want to remind everyone that if you receive a PM from another member that you consider harassing you are free to report it to a Mod (please forward the message, we can't see your in-boxes).

Other than that, see BBSue's post above. I couldn't agree more.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby POWERCHAIR » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:40 pm

This year i just feel like like i was used by all for there needs and greed, then pushed to the side and used as a whipping boy when i had no more to give.

Good luck and love to all.
POWERCHAIR

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:41 pm

Well, upon reflection, I did make a fool of myself. I think that sending people pms--and I don't know the content, but assume it was insulting or threatening--is really low, and when someone does that, they knock themselves down a few notches in my esteem. And saying that I will link to this thread was not a threat, although you cannot tell that from the wording. It is simply my reaction to that particular brand of shit. It goes back to the days of Black Rock Rick. There's been a lot of turnover since then, so people may not know I do that, but I perceive that as unfairly putting pressure on the receiver of such messages, and when it is friends who are getting them, I see red. But aside from me, doing that is not going--well, what Sue said.
Anyway, passive-aggressive bullshit like tracking my posts is dumb and petty, but I can live with it.

And I have no idea what PC has said, because it's too fresh for me to take him off plonk. (Whatever.)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby mournlight » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:45 am

So, I've read a few threads and can't find answers to a few basic questions. Maybe some of you can help me. I was the caretaker for a friend who died of Lou Gherig's disease two years ago. I have her really nice power chair, a nice regular wheelchair, and other implements associated with her care. Additionally, I'd love to build a handicapped taxi art car. Do I have to be associated with a certain camp to register that kind of a car and take requests? I am already in a camp and do not wish to change. What I'd like to do is to have a "bus route" and schedule that I post. I also wonder if anyone has any info about playa dust in the chairs - do you take any special precautions to protect the electronics, etc? Do you have it serviced when you return? What should I consider so that the chair isn't trashed after just one burn? Thanks in advance.
~Having fun preparing for a creative world~
mournlight

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:59 am

Some of your questions are best answered by contacting the Hotties at the Department of Mutant Vehicles from the main website.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby The Rat Lady » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:31 am

I'm not a technical type, but I do know that you have to protect the charging contacts. Some chairs have a cover that slides in place when not charging but not all do.
As far as the manual chair, when I got home this year I washed all the covers and fur with a 1/2 cup vinegar added to the wash cycle and then sprayed the entire chair down with a half and half solution of vinegar and water before hosing the entire chair down with a high pressure nozzle. I made sure all the parts that needed greasing were greased well before I hit the playa. My 3rd wheel attachment made all the difference! The small front caster wheels are useless on the playa. A friend made me an attachment for the front of the chair that lefts the casters up off the ground about 3-4 inches, then there is a small bike wheel/large scooter wheel on a 360 degree swivel that effectively turns the chair into a trike. I was able to wheel myself all the way from Center Camp out arround the man and back on the first night. There are comercial ones available if cost isn't a big issue.
"Outside of a dog, books are man's best friends. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read!"
Groucho Marx
The Rat Lady

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: BRC DoA/ Mobility Camp

Postby *Kat* » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:44 am

Hey there!

I am happy to announce that I, too, have slowly made my way back to Germany ;)
Thanks for letting me hang around your camp so much!

Hope to see you again next year!
*Kat*

Previous

Return to 2011 Theme Camps