The Gnome Dome

The Gnome Dome

Postby illy dilly » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:22 am

OK SO WE GOT PLACEMENT!!!! WOOO HOOO!!!!!
Now that we know we are an official theme camp, I can say-
Come over to the Gnome Dome to hang out relax and really experience the daily life of The Gnome!
Walk through our Gnome Garden and play in some Gnomey Gnames!

We'll be at 3:30 and G!
Look for our 24' Toad Stool. Its a 24' dome painted red with big white spots. Also, keep an eye out for our tie die CO flag (similar to my avatar rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise).

At random times we'll be playing some beats. Sorta just when ever we feel like.
WE ARE NOT AN OPEN PUBLIC BAR :wink: But if you're hanging out in camp we'll offer to grab ya a drink.

Since we're on 3:30 and Granduation, we're thinking a Graduation party will be necessary!
Especially since half our camp are virgins! Maybe Friday night?
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Re: The Gnome Dome

Postby HandJamMasterC » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:28 am

I'll be over from Camp D.O.A. to say hello !!
CAMP D.O.A.

Fun As A Scorched Earth Policy...........

https://sites.google.com/site/campdoa/
HandJamMasterC

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp D.O.A.

Postby illy dilly » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:27 pm

HandJamMasterC wrote:I'll be over from Camp D.O.A. to say hello !!

Hell yeah come on by!
Now that we know we're placed we need to tighten up our schedule of events.
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Postby HandJamMasterC » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:24 pm

Hell yeah come on by!
Now that we know we're placed we need to tighten up our schedule of events.

We listed all our events on line and in the print book long before we knew we were placed. https://sites.google.com/site/campdoa/e ... vents_2011

Way out on a limb on a wing and a prayer, just like in the old days nailing A4 pitches on El Capitan...................

CAMP D.O.A.

Fun As A Scorched Earth Policy...........

https://sites.google.com/site/campdoa/
HandJamMasterC

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp D.O.A.

Postby This Woman » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:45 pm

Illy, please tell me you have an art car called the Gnome Mobile. (I'm totally dating myself, ain't I?)

At any rate, I'll be the one singing the Gnome Mobile song - fair warning.
The Liver's End ~ Where the locals go.
This Woman

Burning Since: 1995

Postby illy dilly » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:13 pm

This Woman wrote:Illy, please tell me you have an art car called the Gnome Mobile. (I'm totally dating myself, ain't I?)

At any rate, I'll be the one singing the Gnome Mobile song - fair warning.

I wish we had an art car!
Maybe we'll put a big flag in the windows of the RV that say "The Gnome Mobile"

I could burn the song to a CD so that it will play really loud.
Then people walking around will hear
"sooner or later we'll find where they are
With Gnome Mobile
The Gnome Mobile"

And it will attract people to us!
illy dilly

Postby licious d » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:45 pm

so excited!!!!!!!!!!! wooooo ^_^
lil dub @ gNome dome!!
licious d

Postby Moongar » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:06 am

I'll be keeping an eye out for the CO flag and will do my best to stop by and checkout the garden.
Moongar

Postby This Woman » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:21 am

The Liver's End ~ Where the locals go.
This Woman

Burning Since: 1995

Postby illy dilly » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:31 pm

licious d wrote:so excited!!!!!!!!!!! wooooo ^_^

^^^^This is the resident Gnome DJ ^^^^

She's really good! And only a little taller than a gnome!
illy dilly

Postby illy dilly » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:54 am

Posts Burn Recap
Our camp kicked ass!

I wasn't there for early set up, but from what I was told, after some minor confusion... WE ENDED UP WITH A CORNER SPOT AT 3:30 & G! The corner spot totally kicks ass! We will beg for the corner spot next year!
Our dome came out great!
We had a ton of people stop by and share some beer and food. It was amazing.
Our neighbors were super kick ass! Boosh on the other side of 3:30, Gypsie queen caddy corner, the folks with the huming star on the other side of G, and fosters sharing our 2:45 border. The New England folks behind us, with frontage on F, and sharing our F.5 border were pretty much pretensions douche bags, but what ever!

We had a drop in camper named Richard, he was our 'crazy old coot', and he was amazing! He had a way of talking and telling stories that would suck in your attention like a black hole. We'd have to avoid him if we were busy, because as soon as he would get started you would forget what ever it was you were supposed to be doing.

Things that worked well
The kitchen set up. One of our campers had a bunch of extra carpet so we were able to carpet our kitchen and the dome. There was so little dust on everything compared to previous years.
The Dome floor plan. We had a little seating area that acted as a living room, we had a separate area for the Sound gear that was totally out of foot traffic, the hammock off to one side made for a nice napping area, and the kitchen in a separate shade structure but attached to the dome kicked ass.
The Generator, a nice little 4000 watt Gene barely even burned one whole tank of gas the whole week. Was able to power everything that we put on it.

Things that didn't work so well
The Evap pond. Wasn't big enough, was in an area that got more shade than originally thought. But we also didn't get the fabric wiks set up. We brought the structure, but forgot the fabric. Solution: Bigger pond, with fabric wicks to help evap.
Lack of rebar. Had plenty on paper, but ran out while we were setting up. Solution: Bring a metric shit ton of rebar in different lengths. I always figured it wasn't worth bring the extra weight for a "just encase" scenario, but I was wrong.
Dome cover. Didn't come out exactly as planned, still looked and worked great, but will be changed up next year. Solution: don't wait tell 72 hours before departure to finish it. Since the dome structure and carpet and tables and everything are figured out, we'll have more time to work on the cover.
EA on Sunday. We weren't really set up tell Tuesday night and still finishing touches all the way through Wednesday night. Solution: Get there earlier. For 2012, leave Friday morning. Let the box truck "scouts" haul ass and get there quick, Saturday morning. Let the RV take its time (and have more break down/repair time) to get there Sunday morning. This will give us about 8 people on site to start setting up mid day Sunday.
Traveling RV on Sunday. The RV is 22 years old, it will have some sort of issue, no way around that. SO, prepare for it. Be in BRC by Sunday since fewer Auto Parts places are open Sunday. Less time will be wasted waiting/finding open places to get parts.
illy dilly

Postby Savannah » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:59 am

I loved your dome, Illy Dilly! The setup within was very comfy-looking, very homey. . . . Didn't you even have a bookcase? :)

Thanks to the description and accuracy of the address, the Gnome Dome was easy to find. I realize that we would have missed you if we'd arrived 5 or 10 minutes later, so I'm really glad we ran into you.
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby lucky420 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:51 am

Was looking forward to meeting you illy. Think I wrote down the wrong address and then something shiny distracted me...pooh! Next year for sure
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby illy dilly » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:29 pm

Savannah wrote:I loved your dome, Illy Dilly! The setup within was very comfy-looking, very homey. . . . Didn't you even have a bookcase? :)

Thanks to the description and accuracy of the address, the Gnome Dome was easy to find. I realize that we would have missed you if we'd arrived 5 or 10 minutes later, so I'm really glad we ran into you.

Hell yeah we had a book case! With mostly Gnome related books too! I'm glad you caught the vibe of our dome, it was a very relaxing space. We had a lot of folks come by and chill out like real Gnomes.
We really should have hung out at our camp for a little longer. But me and smAshly were on the way out.

I'm so very very very happy that you showed up when you did! It was a pleasure to finally meet you and Motz! I had no idea you were such a hottie! Sadly though, we had adventures that directed us down different paths. God, it was such a hike to find Junglesmacks, and when we got there.... he had just left! Can you believe that shit! We should have mugged with you and motz over to Terminal City.
illy dilly

Postby illy dilly » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:31 pm

lucky420 wrote:Was looking forward to meeting you illy. Think I wrote down the wrong address and then something shiny distracted me...pooh! Next year for sure

Hell yeah! We originally thought we were going to be moved more towards 3:45, but it turns out that they used the entire 3:30&G corner for theme camp placement.

Lucky, did you ever get a chance to work ice?
illy dilly

Postby Savannah » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:21 pm

illy dilly wrote:
Savannah wrote:I loved your dome, Illy Dilly! The setup within was very comfy-looking, very homey. . . . Didn't you even have a bookcase? :)

Hell yeah we had a book case! With mostly Gnome related books too! I'm glad you caught the vibe of our dome, it was a very relaxing space. We had a lot of folks come by and chill out like real Gnomes.
We really should have hung out at our camp for a little longer. But me and smAshly were on the way out.

I'm so very very very happy that you showed up when you did! It was a pleasure to finally meet you and Motz! I had no idea you were such a hottie! Sadly though, we had adventures that directed us down different paths. God, it was such a hike to find Junglesmacks, and when we got there.... he had just left! Can you believe that shit! We should have mugged with you and motz over to Terminal City.

I wish you had come with us. Bay Bridge Sue taught us the 7 Steps to Drinking Vodka like a Russian! But there was lots to do; no regrets here. I'm just happy to have met you at least once, since we spend so much time capering around people in the Introduce Yourself thread. :)

The funniest thing about meeting Junglesmacks: I camped less than a block away from him, visited once to see if he was there before the event opened, and even visited his camp several times to set off the flame effect on the lighthouse and to deliver a girl who had camped there and had kind of an iffy trip one night and just needed an ear. Never did meet the man there. But I ran into Junglesmacks twice by accident--once at Fandango, and once at the Meet & Greet. I love that sort of accident.
Savannah

Postby lucky420 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:23 pm

Yes I worked Ice twice. I really enjoyed it, lots of fun. My feet were just so darned swollen and tired from walking all night, pulling my "Shot in the Dark" wagon around the playa that I just couldn't do more than that. A couple of mornings I just felt like I was beat the fuck up...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby illy dilly » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:26 pm

Savannah wrote:
illy dilly wrote:

I wish you had come with us. Bay Bridge Sue taught us the 7 Steps to Drinking Vodka like a Russian! But there was lots to do; no regrets here. I'm just happy to have met you at least once, since we spend so much time capering around people in the Introduce Yourself thread. :)

The funniest thing about meeting Junglesmacks: I camped less than a block away from him, visited once to see if he was there before the event opened, and even visited his camp several times to set off the flame effect on the lighthouse and to deliver a girl who had camped there and had kind of an iffy trip one night and just needed an ear. Never did meet the man there. But I ran into Junglesmacks twice by accident--once at Fandango, and once at the Meet & Greet. I love that sort of accident.

Well shoot!
It was a pleasure meeting you too! And thanks again for coming and finding our camp! I was hoping to find Stag Camp on the map, I know you were somewhere over near 8:30ish just not sure where.

Alright next year (is it too early to start planning?) we'll have to pick a day to mug around town introducing our selves to random people.
Or shit, better yet, we should work greeters together one day!
illy dilly

Postby illy dilly » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:27 pm

lucky420 wrote:Yes I worked Ice twice. I really enjoyed it, lots of fun. My feet were just so darned swollen and tired from walking all night, pulling my "Shot in the Dark" wagon around the playa that I just couldn't do more than that. A couple of mornings I just felt like I was beat the fuck up...

Nice! What ice shifts did you work?
I think twice I saw Jella in passing, but since they were getting out of the way and the noon-3 group was getting in the way we didn't have time to stop and chat.
illy dilly

Postby jella » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:31 pm

((((Illy))) ships in the night eh ? hehe
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby illy dilly » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:35 pm

jella wrote:((((Illy))) ships in the night eh ? hehe

Pretty much right! I tried so hard to get there early every time to catch you on they way out. But with "check in" and "tip out" always being the cluster f*ck that it is made it difficult.

That and I was still pretty *confused :wink: when I showed up for my Thursday shift.
illy dilly

Postby lucky420 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:36 pm

I worked the nine to noon shifts. Worked with Jella and her hubby figment...awesome couple. I looked around for you but didn't see anyone who looked like your avatar and I'm just this side of shy to be yelling out "illy in da house?"
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby illy dilly » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:48 pm

lucky420 wrote:I worked the nine to noon shifts. Worked with Jella and her hubby figment...awesome couple. I looked around for you but didn't see anyone who looked like your avatar and I'm just this side of shy to be yelling out "illy in da house?"

Damn!
Typically I'm also one of the last guys placed as either a slinger or a pusher. I typically fill in where they need me. On Tuesday I started as a Slinger, and was quickly thrown in the truck when the guys in side were new to working a pallet jack.

Next year we will all work the 9-noon shift on Tuesday. I might still work the noon-3 shift on Thursday, it gives me those extra 3 hours to sober up before heading into work.
illy dilly

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:27 pm

Illy did you register/check in as "Illy" or as your real name? Michelle and I came looking for you on your shift and asked all the people working the front at the 3 o'clock station if Illy from Colorado was here, and all of them said that no one named Illy or from CO was working or had checked in. This was at 2:30pm on Tuesday..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Postby jella » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:29 pm

did anyone come across a nice chrome open design pocket knife in the Ice truck ? Figment lost it sometime Wed I think ice 3
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby illy dilly » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:46 pm

junglesmacks wrote:Illy did you register/check in as "Illy" or as your real name? Michelle and I came looking for you on your shift and asked all the people working the front at the 3 o'clock station if Illy from Colorado was here, and all of them said that no one named Illy or from CO was working or had checked in. This was at 2:30pm on Tuesday..

Really?
I was yelling at everyone from inside the back of the box truck, those scaly wags!
You should have just yelled back on your own.
I totally registered as illy dilly for check in. Fuck, I think I was even wearing my tye dye CO flag shirt.
Good lord, something in the stars above said we were not supposed to meet at this years Burn. Holy shit. How odd that we both try for 7 days to find each other, with no luck. Everyone else finds each of us, and we find everyone else, but neither of us can find each other.

But ya know what, its about to be winter, you might need to come enjoy the Rockies for a weekend!
illy dilly

Postby illy dilly » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:47 pm

jella wrote:did anyone come across a nice chrome open design pocket knife in the Ice truck ? Figment lost it sometime Wed I think ice 3

No, I sure didn't. Sadly, if it was in one of the Ryder trucks, it probably got sent back to Reno. Though, you could always email Griffin and ask him.
illy dilly

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:31 pm

lucky420 wrote:Yes I worked Ice twice. I really enjoyed it, lots of fun. My feet were just so darned swollen and tired from walking all night, pulling my "Shot in the Dark" wagon around the playa that I just couldn't do more than that. A couple of mornings I just felt like I was beat the fuck up...

Thanks for the shot, and the glass!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby lucky420 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:10 am

aww you're welcome fishy. It was great meeting you.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby illy dilly » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:39 am

Damn, I new it was probably futile but every time I was out in the Open Playa I was keeping an eye out for "A Shot in the Dark"

But the Open Playa is big, and dark!
illy dilly

Next

Return to 2011 Theme Camps