Looking for a camp to join? Check out The Bureau!

Looking for a camp to join? Check out The Bureau!

Postby JustinWasHere » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:29 pm

Hello Friends!

The Burn is quickly approaching, and I've heard some forum chatter from people looking for camps, or wondering if they should join a camp this year.

So I thought I'd take a second to post about my new camp, The Bureau Of Misinformation. Check us out at http://bureauofmisinformation.com/ and get in touch if you have any questions!

We're brand spankin new this year, but we've definitely hit the ground running! We have about 20 people so far, and we're looking to max out at 30 people. We'll be providing our campers (and the general public) with quality shade, some food, some water, a shower, and a sweeeeet 12 ft long bar / (mis)information booth that will be nicely stocked with booze and witty misinformation ;)

Furthermore, we're an awesome group of people and we love building and sharing our community! Many of us are locals to the SF Bay Area, and some coming from as far as London, by way of New Zealand! We've got some veteran burners and lots of newbies among us, so everyone is welcome!

So, if you're looking for a camp, give us a look! Check us out at http://bureauofmisinformation.com/ and get in touch if you have any questions - thanks!

Justin
JustinWasHere

Re: Looking for a camp to join? Check out The Bureau!

Postby playaSilk » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:21 pm

Heya!

Loved what you did with the bar, especially the part where it packs down flat! Hope you get some sick art on that sucka.

So I'm looking for a place to camp for me + my girlfriend. We won't have a lot of stuff since everything we bring will have to fit into our 2-door Acura. I'm thinking, we'll have have one tent (10'x14' Kodiak Canvas), 2 of those blue 7 gallon water containers, 1 cooler worth of food, and a few bags of personal items. I can also bring a shower setup (shower stand, sun shower bag, plastic kiddie pool to collect gray water), extra coolers / water containers if needed.

What are you looking for in camp mates? Camp dues are $175 according to the website? What sort of camp duties are we looking at?

Thanks, and hope to see you on the playa!

Derek

ps - what a coincidence, we both know Baljeet :)
playaSilk

Postby JustinWasHere » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:01 pm

Hey Derek,

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I've got three artists working on the bar right now, and I just covered the bar tops with linoleum, so check back next week for some pics of the finished product!

Yes, Camp dues are currently $175. That price covers things like our massive shade structures, lounge, kitchen, shower, etc., as well as some food and water and booze (although, everyone is responsible for bringing some of their own as well). It sounds like you know what you're doing (a Kodiak canvas tent? I'm jealous! ) so i think you're golden in that dept.

The camp dues are vaguely flexible if you have some major contribution to the camp (for example, one camper has offered use of his giant enclosed trailer to haul our gear). So if you have something in mind, let me know - maybe you want to build us an Evaproton!? (http://www.instructables.com/id/Gray-B- ... ywater-di/) :D

As far as camp duties, I'll have a signup sheet going around once we've locked in our final 30 campers. Duties will include Daily Moop Captain, Bar Cleanup, Kitchen Cleanup, and shifts working the bar, making drinks, and dolling out misinformation to our Playa patrons (although this depends on how high-traffic our placement is -- still waiting to hear back from the Placement Team on official location), etc.

What i'm looking for in Camp-mates is mostly just a good attitude, respect for people and environment, and a free and fun spirit! Of course, we want people who will mesh well with our group, and we are quite a varied bunch, with campers ranging from 20 to 35 years old, and some coming from overseas and out of state. But the one thing we all have in common is a passion for connecting with new people, experiencing life to the fullest, and enjoying ourselves in a way that is respectful of those around us. We like to get wild, that's for sure! But we try to do it without stepping on anyone's toes. except on the dance floor, where a little toe-stepping inevitable. ;)

Check me out at www.Facebook.com/JustinWasHere for some more info about me and to get in touch with any questions.

You (and anyone else interested) should send me an email (do it here: http://bureauofmisinformation.com/contact/) with a little more information about your self, telling me what you intend to contribute to our camp and to the Burning Man community. It could be anything from volunteering around the camp to help keep things clean and MOOP free, and helping to tend the bar, or playing music, or art, or just general good vibes and cheer! :) But it's important for me to get a feel of who you are, so I know we will be a good fit -- and I'm sure we will :) Have fun with it!

Thanks again!
Justin

And yes, an amazing coincidence that we both know Baljeet! We'll have to chat about that soon!
JustinWasHere

Postby JustinWasHere » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:36 am

I should mention that some people have been having trouble with the Contact form on The Bureau website (http://bureauofmisinformation.com/contact/), so if you've already tried to get in touch, you should prob just email me directly at Justin (at) JustinWasHere.com

I'm disabling the contact form for now.

Thanks!
JustinWasHere

Return to 2011 Theme Camps