Looking for early entry in exchange for helping you set up.

Looking for early entry in exchange for helping you set up.

Postby Tungsten » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:31 pm

Looking for a camp that could use the help of 1-3 people for early entry set up.
we all have experience with basic tools and construction all are motivated and fun to work with.

Looking for early entry presence because we are also looking for a space for our own unofficial camp (due to registration malfunction :? )
and remaining open spaces are of course first come first serve...

The rest of our crew will be bringing in some big shade structures and some variously sized domes. we will be setting up a party game dome, with contributions of games from around the world. as well as various parties throughout the week.

So what we are searching for is a camp that could spare 1-3 early entry passes in exchange for (my-our) help setting up your camp space before the event.

-T :D
Tungsten

Re: Looking for early entry in exchange for helping you set

Postby jkisha » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:57 pm

Ya, that will happen. :shock: :roll:
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Tungsten » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:28 pm

lol it don't hurt to try.
Tungsten

Postby Dustdevil » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:56 pm

I hope you are aware of the fact that Placement will NOT let you set up in open camping until the gates open on Sunday. You may find that you will be spending your days is D lot.

Just sayin,
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers Camp

Postby Dr. Pyro » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:11 pm

No early entry passes you say? Must suck to be you.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Tungsten » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:08 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:No early entry passes you say? Must suck to be you.

Nope, honestly whether I get in early or on time im still going to enjoy the hell out of the Burn. but theres nothing wrong with offering up a helping hand ;) :roll:

(granted early entry would facilitate an easier swoop on first in line status for a list of open spots and no shows come opening :mrgreen: )

-T
Tungsten

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:23 am

Passes aren't out yet, so know one knows how many they have.
Passes are going to go to known hard workers. There may be some to spare, but that's definitely a gamble.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Mr. Flintstone » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:05 pm

[quote="Dustdevil"]I hope you are aware of the fact that Placement will NOT let you set up in open camping until the gates open on Sunday. You may find that you will be spending your days is D lot.

Just sayin,[/quote]

So where do people with early entry passes that are not part of a theme camp stay?
Mr. Flintstone

Postby Savannah » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:13 pm

So where do people with early entry passes that are not part of a theme camp stay?

If a person lacks a theme camp but has early entry to set up their own art, or work a shift, they either:

* Set up a tent & shade in an open camping area (you'll receive a map at the Gate. Watch out for double-flags at the edge of the road--as these double flags denote theme camp boundaries).
* Park their RV in said open camping area, as many people use RVs but not necessarily theme camps.
* Camp with their work department.

Edited for clarity as inspired by Mr. Flintstone.
Last edited by Savannah on Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Mr. Flintstone » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:23 pm

Savannah,
thank you for your reply. My confusion is from DustDevils post.

Is a "non-theme-camp area" Different from "open camping"?
Mr. Flintstone

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:24 pm

In 2009, we got help in setting up our camp by some guy that had early entry as well. I don't know where he got it, he may have come in with another camp, and finshed his work early.

Whatever, he was really helpful just when we needed him. :)
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Savannah » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:36 pm

Mr. Flintstone wrote:Savannah,
thank you for your reply. My confusion is from DustDevils post.

Is a "non-theme-camp area" Different from "open camping"?

No. Open camping is a better way of saying non-theme.
Savannah

Postby veleda » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:02 am

Not to rain on the parade but I wanted to ask you how you will be assuring a camp that you will show up? Will you pay a deposit?

Last year two people on eplaya offered to help setup for an early arrival.. I thought it was a grand idea and they seemed like cool people. they used the early arrival pass and never set foot on our camp space or helped out. We never traced them down as they were not affiliated with camp.

I'm probabl never going to do that again but I would ask you and the cap that might sponsor you to make arrangement(like giving them your grandmas phone number) should things go awry.
Luv n' Rocket;
Veleda
Sacred Spaces Village
veleda

Postby Savannah » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:30 am

Not to rain on the parade but I wanted to ask you how you will be assuring a camp that you will show up? Will you pay a deposit?

Last year two people on eplaya offered to help setup for an early arrival.. I thought it was a grand idea and they seemed like cool people. they used the early arrival pass and never set foot on our camp space or helped out. We never traced them down as they were not affiliated with camp.

I'm probabl never going to do that again but I would ask you and the cap that might sponsor you to make arrangement(like giving them your grandmas phone number) should things go awry.

This would be my fear in offering early arrival passes to strangers. A lot of things would have to work out very well: they would have to show up on time, be willing, & be competent. And it's not like you are merely angry if they fail you; you're also suddenly without help. It's so much easier to rely on people you've worked with before, or who are friends of trusted friends and therefore come with references. Almost no one is going to go for this offer unless 1) they literally have no one else, or 2) they have an unlikely surplus, and are feeling experimental.

Grandma's phone number wouldn't cut it for me, not even a deposit would. A deposit doesn't help me raise a building. :)

Nothing wrong with asking, of course.
Savannah

Postby silkkat813 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:09 pm

I've heard about a lot of problems with people getting EE passes and not helping. My old camp had a problem with that one year. A few people got the passes and then went off to other camps to party the weekend before gates opened. So the next year, we charged $25 (or $50?) for the EE passes but you would get that money refunded when you proved you helped set up. Unfortunately, we didn't get placement so no passes. Last year, we had a lot of people show up with their passes on Sunday. Sucked for those of us that got there Friday night and had only 4 people to get everything out of storage in Gerlach on Saturday. Though once everyone else arrived Sunday, they did help a lot.

I am with a new camp this year and it is small. Not sure how many passes we'll get or if I will get one. I am just gonna throw out there that I, too, would love an EE pass. :) I can give you a list of veteran Burners I know that will testify I am a good worker and helper in camps. I am unemployed as of Aug 24 so can be there by the 26th. And I plan to leave the Tuesday after the Burn so I can help with breakdown too. I will be volunteering a shift with medical so if you want to come hunt me down, I'd be easy to find. But first, I will wait until placements are announced and then check with my friends for any extras.

Good luck with your search.
*taking the long way HOME*
silkkat813

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:11 pm

Savannah wrote:

This would be my fear in offering early arrival passes to strangers. A lot of things would have to work out very well: they would have to show up on time, be willing, & be competent. And it's not like you are merely angry if they fail you; you're also suddenly without help. It's so much easier to rely on people you've worked with before, or who are friends of trusted friends and therefore come with references. Almost no one is going to go for this offer unless 1) they literally have no one else, or 2) they have an unlikely surplus, and are feeling experimental.

Grandma's phone number wouldn't cut it for me, not even a deposit would. A deposit doesn't help me raise a building. :)

Nothing wrong with asking, of course.

Don't you take that chance with any of your team members? :)

But the bottom line is, the OP is putting the cart before the horse.
Join a theme camp, be part of it from the beginning. Emphasize what you're giving rather than what you expect in exchange.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Return to 2011 Theme Camps