The Map! The Map!

Re: The Map! The Map!

Postby jella » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:55 am

Savannah wrote:What's really fun is realizing that the great semi-imaginary whooshing noise around lunchtime today was 90% of the incoming Black Rock City population flipping through their dictionaries and clicking mice to look up "Liminal". In one fell swoop, a little-used word gains greater prominence.

I note also that in can mean intermediate, in-between, or barely perceptible. Merriam-Webster claims the first known use in this form was in 1884. From the Latin, "limin-, limen" (threshold).

~~smiley nod~~
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby I11I1II1 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:07 pm

Would it make more sense to put Birthday and Funeral at opposite ends? I think Funeral should be next to Liminal and Birthday should be next to Esplanade. Also Engagement is not as big a rite of passage as wedding, but wedding is not even listed. Hajj - we getting lots of burners from the Middle East?
I11I1II1

Postby I11I1II1 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:09 pm

I think if it were made in a more logical order, fewer people will get lost.
I11I1II1

Postby bigbluedoggy » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:21 pm

I11I1II1 wrote:Would it make more sense to put Birthday and Funeral at opposite ends? I think Funeral should be next to Liminal and Birthday should be next to Esplanade. Also Engagement is not as big a rite of passage as wedding, but wedding is not even listed. Hajj - we getting lots of burners from the Middle East?

Uh... you do realize they are in alphabetical order, right? Just curious.
Don't go complicating my reality with facts.

Destiny Lounge Returns for 2015! Are you ready for... The Vortex of Destiny?!?!
bigbluedoggy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Postby Elderberry » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:01 am

bigbluedoggy wrote:
I11I1II1 wrote:Would it make more sense to put Birthday and Funeral at opposite ends? I think Funeral should be next to Liminal and Birthday should be next to Esplanade. Also Engagement is not as big a rite of passage as wedding, but wedding is not even listed. Hajj - we getting lots of burners from the Middle East?

LOL. Obviously he doesn't. Must be a newbie. He'll realize soon enough that it's hard enough to remember the ABC's let alone the names. :shock:
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby graidawg » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:33 am

everybody coming into BRC will be at some point in a liminal stage in there journey, something you should be on a rite of passage. Ithink its about the best name on there the rest are really lame even if they are just trying to keep to the abc thing
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby bigbluedoggy » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:37 am

Repeat after me:
A Street
B Street
C Street...

bigbluedoggy

Postby graidawg » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:47 am

bigbluedoggy wrote:Repeat after me:
A Street
B Street
C Street...

boring boring

B in A street and C streets K?
FREE THE SHERPAS
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Postby Bob » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:09 am

jkisha wrote:OK, I get them all except what is "Liminal"?

To use it in a sentence: 'Liminal' is so 1999.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby I11I1II1 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:16 am

jkisha wrote:
bigbluedoggy wrote:

LOL. Obviously he doesn't. Must be a newbie. He'll realize soon enough that it's hard enough to remember the ABC's let alone the names. :shock:

Nope. This is my first burn. I don't think they did it in alphabetical order when they had planet names and I think it would be more artistically creative to list them in the typical order of occurrence in one's lifetime.
I11I1II1

Postby Bob » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:41 am

That makes about as much sense as ranking the countries of South America in order of distance from their geographical centers to the Equator.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby I11I1II1 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:50 am

Bob wrote:That makes about as much sense as ranking the countries of South America in order of distance from their geographical centers to the Equator.

The logic I'm thinking of is that with the Man in the center and the foundation of the event itself, it is like birth (centers represent beginnings), but at the end of the event (and the end of life) it is burned.
I11I1II1

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:49 am

The street signs will be gone saturday night, then you can name them whatever you want. :roll:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby bigbluedoggy » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:44 am

The point we are making is that the street names are completely irrelevant to most folks. Most people I know invariably refer to their address by letter and clock number and I venture very few folks can actually remember all the street names after the first day or so, if they ever knew them at all.

bigbluedoggy

Postby Elderberry » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:11 am

I11I1II1 wrote:
Bob wrote:That makes about as much sense as ranking the countries of South America in order of distance from their geographical centers to the Equator.

The logic I'm thinking of is that with the Man in the center and the foundation of the event itself, it is like birth (centers represent beginnings), but at the end of the event (and the end of life) it is burned.

And we're listening to the logic of a person that calls himself "I11I1II1"? Whats that all about anyway?
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:49 am

I could do the planets, because I was an astronomy geek as a kid. But Floating World? Those names sucked. I'd looked at ship diagrams too, but not with those names!
What names do I remember?
Dogma, because I was telling people the shit eaters were at the half hours and dogma.
Um...
Um...
Um...

I think that's it. I don't even remember the names of hte streets I camped on.

What can you do, off hand?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Elderberry » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:57 am

BINGO!
bigbluedoggy wrote:The point we are making is that the street names are completely irrelevant to most folks. Most people I know invariably refer to their address by letter and clock number and I venture very few folks can actually remember all the street names after the first day or so, if they ever knew them at all.
JK
Elderberry

Postby Sail Man » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:20 pm

goathead wrote:hmmmmm
most boring street names I have ever seen.

:oops:

just waiting for placement now.

A - Anti M
B - Box Burner
C - Cryptofishist
D - DVD Burner (LOL had to Shambala :mrgreen: )
E - Espressodude
F - Foxfur
G - Goathead (There, feel better? At least I'm not planning on kidnapping you this year :wink: )
H - H.G. Crosby
I - ibdave
J - JKisha
K - Kernel Killbuck
L - LeChatNoir
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Bounce530 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:24 pm

FIGJAM wrote:The street signs will be gone saturday night, then you can name them whatever you want. :roll:

Saturday night?! I was putting my own homemade replacement signs up Wednesday afternoon...And then a couple of times after that, since my cardboard/sharpie signs went missing also! Maybe the wind blew them off, but doubtful, as the other stuff I had put up remained...(ie- stop posting so much flyers)
What other people think about you is none of your business.
Bounce530

Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:42 pm

Sail Man wrote:
goathead wrote:hmmmmm
most boring street names I have ever seen.

:oops:

just waiting for placement now.

A - Anti M
B - Box Burner
C - Cryptofishist
D - DVD Burner (LOL had to Shambala :mrgreen: )
E - Espressodude
F - Foxfur
G - Goathead (There, feel better? At least I'm not planning on kidnapping you this year :wink: )
H - H.G. Crosby
I - ibdave
J - JKisha
K - Kernel Killbuck
L - LeChatNoir

Nice work Sail Man. Only if the street names went to M. :? :D Perhaps next year.

The street names are in alphabetical order so that emergency responders can navigate easily to a scene from what I have heard. Imagine if you had to memorize a new crazy order of names from Esplanade out every year. Standardization helps for efficient operations. Reading a map takes time and sometimes time is critical in an emergency.....Sometimes not.
I only had the planet thing down at the end of the week just in time for the signs to come down.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby Eric » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:58 pm

I11I1II1 wrote:Nope. This is my first burn. I don't think they did it in alphabetical order when they had planet names and I think it would be more artistically creative to list them in the typical order of occurrence in one's lifetime.

The streets are alphabetical so people can find their way around. Period. If it's not "creative" enough for you... well, lets just say that if you're paying attention to the street names you're really not experiencing the event...

A
B
C
D
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby MisaBlue » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:24 pm

Eric wrote:
I11I1II1 wrote:Nope. This is my first burn. I don't think they did it in alphabetical order when they had planet names and I think it would be more artistically creative to list them in the typical order of occurrence in one's lifetime.

The streets are alphabetical so people can find their way around. Period. If it's not "creative" enough for you... well, lets just say that if you're paying attention to the street names you're really not experiencing the event...

A
B
C
D

Please, let me just kiss you!!!
:lol:

Postby Eric » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:51 pm

MisaBlue wrote:
Eric wrote:

A
B
C
D

Okay.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Savannah » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:51 pm

Nope. This is my first burn. I don't think they did it in alphabetical order when they had planet names and I think it would be more artistically creative to list them in the typical order of occurrence in one's lifetime.

1. Don't put me in a box, man! I will enjoy my own New Orleans Jazz Funeral whenever I want, and if I need a Divorce so I can get Engaged on my Hajj no one is going to stop me! You're cramping my style. :) . . . It's not uncreative if you think about it in a grander, real-life sense.

2. People already lose their own camps for hours or more. We need a little bit of order to the layout. And Emergency Services has to be able to find certain addresses as best they can. Missing street signs slow down the field medics. So if you see a missing street sign, and you know exactly what o'clock and street name it is, replace it with some well-anchored wood or cardboard. Someone might get faster help because of you.
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Leo » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:36 pm

Last year's street names were better.
Best Regards,
Leo
Leo

Postby Elderberry » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:29 pm

Savannah wrote:

1. Don't put me in a box, man! I will enjoy my own New Orleans Jazz Funeral whenever I want, and if I need a Divorce so I can get Engaged on my Hajj no one is going to stop me! You're cramping my style. :) . . . It's not uncreative if you think about it in a grander, real-life sense.

2. People already lose their own camps for hours or more. We need a little bit of order to the layout. And Emergency Services has to be able to find certain addresses as best they can. Missing street signs slow down the field medics. So if you see a missing street sign, and you know exactly what o'clock and street name it is, replace it with some well-anchored wood or cardboard. Someone might get faster help because of you.

Here's a tip you might not know for when the signs are missing. Every corner has white PVC pole markers that stick up about three feet. The street names and addresses are written on these poles, which I have never seen taken. The poles are white, the names (letters) are written vertically in orange.
JK
Elderberry

Postby SnowBlind » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:30 am

I11I1II1 wrote:I don't think they did it in alphabetical order when they had planet names and I think it would be more artistically creative to list them in the typical order of occurrence in one's lifetime.

There were a couple of years where they did that, and it can get more confusing. 2001 was the seven ages of man, and the names were all ages of a person, from Infant to Oblivion. But if you are trying to find a street, do you know if Lover comes before Soldier, or vice versa? Though that year was mostly OK.

2002 was the floating world, and that was worse, if you don't know a lot about boats. I mean does Midships come before Mainmast, or after? And wtf is a Mizzen? That year was worse too, because instead of times they used degrees for the radials. I think we all just gave up on addresses that year and embraced being lost.

So, IMHO the alphabetical thing works best, while still playing with the theme each year.
SnowBlind

Postby graidawg » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:36 am

Eric wrote:
MisaBlue wrote:
Eric wrote:

A
B
C
D

Okay.

oh eric you put up such a struggle! mind you would anyone resist kisses from misa?
FREE THE SHERPAS
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Postby Lowz » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:56 am

Bob wrote:
jkisha wrote:OK, I get them all except what is "Liminal"?

To use it in a sentence: 'Liminal' is so 1999.

"Liminal is the new bacon "
"You are so infra liminal to me"
"I'm not drunk but my consciousness is not liminal"
John Clod
For the People
Suarez principle #23 " The Whims of The President and Chairman are final."
I feel every year fantastic, shitty and great days all.
Lowz

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Club Neu Verboten

Postby AntiM » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:00 am

jkisha wrote:
Savannah wrote:

Here's a tip you might not know for when the signs are missing. Every corner has white PVC pole markers that stick up about three feet. The street names and addresses are written on these poles, which I have never seen taken. The poles are white, the names (letters) are written vertically in orange.

I've seen ornage poles with black lettering. Or I may be insane.

When people tape flyers over those, I move them to a place where the address is not covered up.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

PreviousNext

Return to 2011 Theme Camps