Need help seeking the right camp...

Need help seeking the right camp...

Postby rana » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:55 am

This will be my third big burn and I am going with my fiance (his second time) and my 63-year old dad for his first time. We are sharing an RV and a camp with RV hookups would be a big plus for us. I have been browsing ePlaya but figured I'd post in case anyone has a suggestion for us. The only camp we know of with a grid is ATTOL's orgy dome; it's a great camp and I know it's Burning Man and all, but I'd really rather not camp there with my dad. We can haul some stuff in for the camp (within reason) and contribute our time and my cooking skillz! We would prefer a camp that has meals with a vegetarian option if possible. Thanks!

EDITED TO ADD: Ok I understand we won't need a grid and we'll have to figure out how much propane/gas we'll need for the week. My query about finding an appropriate theme camp for us still stands.
Last edited by rana on Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
rana

Re: Need help seeking the right camp...

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:14 am

I can vouch for her, she's pretty. :mrgreen:
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby AntiM » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:17 am

RV hook-ups?
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Savannah » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:32 am

Hi Rana,

I know zero about RV hookups (do you mean electricity from an outside source? that sounds elusive) but if you also want to schedule your RV to be pumped during the week--and I imagine you might--there's a thread about it:
viewtopic.php?t=39108

There's a little outdated info in there--as the thread progresses, it's determined that people can flag down the trucks & pay cash this year on the fly, but frankly, it sounds easier to schedule & pre-pay if you're able to determine your address in advance . . . or if they allow you the option to come by and let them know what your address is. Anyway, see thread. The advice about using the portapotties, not your RV, for going No. 2 still stands. Apparently, no one recommends it.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Elorrum » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:16 pm

Be prepared to have everything you need. Be prepared for self reliance, self contained etc.

read all you can about Burning Man... survival guide, newcomers guide, tips and tricks whatever.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby rana » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Sorry to be confusing, I did mean a power grid to hook up to. My fiance seems to think that's important. I personally think it's the minority of camps that has power, and usually to power something else like speakers or lights. It's our first time taking an RV and he's not sure how much gas we really need for the generator on the RV and propane (also trying to find out if people that bring RVs use their fridge? it's propane-powered, but I have no idea how much propane that requires) I've tried searching eplaya and haven't had luck so far.

@Savannah Thank you for the link, that is definitely important info...

@C.f.M. awww thanks :D
rana

Postby jkisha » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:06 pm

There is no "grid" or RV "hookup" on the playa, so get that concept out of your head right here and now.

The only electrical power you will have is from your RV battery and the RV generator.

The only water you will have to drink is what you bring or what is in your RV tanks.

If you use said water, your grey water tank will fill up and you will no longer be able to shower or wash dishes, or use the toilet, which you should not use anyway, except for emergencies, etc.

If you plan on using the above amenities anyway you MUST contract with a company that will pump out your waste tank regularly. This service is usually prepaid and you need to park in such a way that they have access.

It is my understanding that propane refrigerators do not cool all that well, so you might also want to consider coolers and ice.

To answer more specific RV questions, the first place I would go is to the website of the company you will be renting from. They probably have a FAQ that will cover almost all of your questions. Questions not covered in their FAQ should be addressed to them personally. If they can't answer your questions about gas, generator, etc., you are renting from the wrong company.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Savannah » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:18 pm

Jkisha said it well . . .

There are threads here in which the experienced users discuss propane and generators, usually separately. Try looking around this site in the "Q&A Tips & Tricks" forum and the main Bman site (there are already threads about propane, generators, and baffle boxes to quiet them so your neighbors don't hate ya). Figure out what you anticipate doing per day, like: "I want to cook one hot meal a day using propane, and I want to run an hour of A/C per day, and use the blender 5 minutes per day at the cocktail hour." (Or whatever.) If you do some research and then pose a question that shows you've tried, someone might be willing & able to help you make an estimate.

I think it's awesome you're taking your Dad.
Savannah

Postby jkisha » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:23 pm

Savannah wrote:Jkisha said it well . . .

There are threads here in which the experienced users discuss propane and generators, usually separately. Try looking around this site in the "Q&A Tips & Tricks" forum and the main Bman site (there are already threads about propane, generators, and baffle boxes to quiet them so your neighbors don't hate ya). Figure out what you anticipate doing per day, like: "I want to cook one hot meal a day using propane, and I want to run an hour of A/C per day, and use the blender 5 minutes per day at the cocktail hour." (Or whatever.) If you do some research and then pose a question that shows you've tried, someone might be willing & able to help you make an estimate.

I think it's awesome you're taking your Dad.

Actually Savannah, the answers to those questions will be answered on the RV rental company's web site. A while back I was just googling and reading info on RV rental sites and many of them had specific answers to those questions.

I'll bet her dad could help her do some of this research as well. He's almost my age! :wink:
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Savannah » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:36 pm

Seriously? Even better!

I suppose it makes sense; people aren't renting RVs 'cause they wanna rough it hardcore, or because they have their own and therefore already know the ins and outs of power usage. That sentence sounds more filthy than I intended, but it's late and I'm tired.
Savannah

Postby rana » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:49 am

Thanks for your replies, that one thread was particularly helpful. My question still stands about finding a theme camp though.
rana

Postby gaminwench » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:12 pm

What is it about 'theme camp' that you need/want??
"I'm sorry, but just the thought of a non-controversial thread on ePlaya is controversial." jk
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:15 am

Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Funkpocket » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:25 am

A theme camp that has a large community generator and distro? Just ask 'Who's going big? I want to give you some money!'
Funkpocket

Postby Dustdevil » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:01 am

Hello Rana,

The refriderator in your RV will work just fine on propane. You will not need to refill the propane tank during the week as the drain is very slight. This is the same for the hot water heater. Keep in mind that the fridge also needs electricity. If you are not on the power grid of the camp you are staying with, you should plan to run your on board genny a couple of hours a day. Perhaps during the hottest times and use the AC as well.

ATTOL camp does indeed have a grid. They will be using a 70KW Whisperwatt. If you plan to camp with them, let them know sooner rather than later as they will need to get enough distro to cover everyone in camp.

There are dozens of large camps that have power grids. Some are more sophisticated than others. You will need to know if your RV uses a 30amp plug or a 50 amp plug. If it uses a 50amp, you will need to buy an adapter to RV 30amp. An adapter from 30A RV to edison would also be a good idea. That will allow you to plug in to any circuit with enough amperage.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers Camp

Postby Just_Joe » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:03 am

rana wrote:<snip> Ok I understand we won't need a grid and we'll have to figure out how much propane/gas we'll need for the week.

Your rental RV should come with come with one or two bottles of propane. It/they will be either the 5 gallon (20lb) or 7 gallon (30lb) size.
A 7 gallon, 30lb tank weighs 55lbs when full and 25lbs empty.

You will need propane for hot water, furnace, stove/oven and fridge.

Hot water heater is controlled by a thermostat. There will probably be an on/off switch located somewhere in the RV. Turn it on in the AM about 20 minutes before showering. Maybe do your dishes at the same time. You shouldn't need it otherwise, so flip the switch to OFF til next shower.

The furnace is the largest drain on propane. If yer cold while inside, layer up. We'll mostly only run it if it's chilly when retiring or awakening. The FAN for the furnace is also one of the biggest draws on the batteries.

Stove and oven. Think outdoor gas grill. They're usually only used for 20-30 minute intervals. A tank will last a long time UNLESS YOU FORGET TO TURN OFF THE BURNER. Potential side benefit- Cooking will warm the inside of the RV.

Propane fridges are the bomb. Propane use is minuscule. The entire process works via a flame about the size of the pilot light on a home hot water heater. In 100 degree weather, my freezer maintains 2 degrees and the fridge stays at ~38. They say not to pack them to tight but I've had my freezer packed FULL with 400 freezer pops and not had any issues. If you don't have one, buy a digital thermometer so that you can monitor the temp. (A unit with remote sensors can let you keep track of fridge, indoor and playa)

If renting an RV I would have the dealer demonstrate each of these items works properly and be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that the fridge works ON PROPANE and not just electricity.

Last year, we used LESS than a full 7 gallon (30#) bottle in 9 days. Fridge was on all the time, meals/coffee daily, no furnace and I can't remember if we took hot showers or not.

So far as your "Grid" /Generator issues go, the only thing you will be using eletricity for is Air Conditioning and recharging your batteries. If you can do without the A/C, a solar setup from Harbor Freight for $169 might be enough to keep your batteries topped off.
User weather man is now Just_Joe
Just_Joe

Burning Since: 2017

Return to 2011 Theme Camps