What are you bringing to the Meet & Greet?

Re: What are you bringing to the Meet & Greet?

Postby cpart » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:30 pm

jkisha wrote:It's definitely my major gripe. The event needs to be made private if we are going to have a pot luck.

I agree, and I bet other people do too. What can we do to make it a private event and stop talking about it not being one?
cpart

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Eric » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:30 am

cpart wrote:
jkisha wrote:It's definitely my major gripe. The event needs to be made private if we are going to have a pot luck.

I agree, and I bet other people do too. What can we do to make it a private event and stop talking about it not being one?

I don't have an issue with a "back area" for food for the regulars if it fits in with Doc's camp, but he shouldn't be asked to change his camps layout for one event and the idea of private parties at Burning Man has always felt an bit "icky" to me.

Honestly I would rather scrap the potluck than make the event private. There are lurkers or low-count posters on here and they should be as welcome as the regulars, as should people who've never heard of the eplaya until they show up at the MnG.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby trilobyte » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:31 am

I feel the same way (about private events). Simply not putting a listing in next year's printed guide will significantly reduce the problem with non-ePlayans, IMO. That, and the idea someone put forth about having the nametag station out front (instead of in back by the food).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby cpart » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:00 am

I see what you guys are saying, but it seems like the potluck was a pretty large part of the planning and preparation for everyone who planned on attending the event far in advance. It's been mentioned that if it is to stay public they put "bring food for potluck" on the WWW, but I believe it said that on there this time and it seems like there were more moochers than supporters. Another idea mentioned was making the food private and the party not. I don't know how that would work, but I think if everyone brainstorms by next year we will be rushing to figure it out in July.
cpart

Postby Elderberry » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:13 am

That's a load of crap. The non eplayans I met there basically had no clue...no clue about eplaya, no interest in finding out about eplaya, no interest I anything other than getting to the free food and booze.

I have no problem with low posters and lurkers that actually are there because they want to meet all the people they have been reading about all year, but to not make the event private, it becomes nothing more than another random event on the playa.

It's called the "Eplaya Meet &Greet" for a reason. Duh!

Eric wrote:
cpart wrote:

I don't have an issue with a "back area" for food for the regulars if it fits in with Doc's camp, but he shouldn't be asked to change his camps layout for one event and the idea of private parties at Burning Man has always felt an bit "icky" to me.

Honestly I would rather scrap the potluck than make the event private. There are lurkers or low-count posters on here and they should be as welcome as the regulars, as should people who've never heard of the eplaya until they show up at the MnG.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:30 am

Could the invites be kept on the down-low through PMs and such without too much trouble?
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Kriten » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:43 am

FIGJAM wrote:Could the invites be kept on the down-low through PMs and such without too much trouble?

Its not so much the invites being a secret. It is that random people will wonder by and pickup on the smell of free food.
We use the greates resource of all, eachother. -Me
Kriten

Postby Elderberry » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:53 am

They don't even have to be via PM's. Anybody that heard about the event here in a thread or anybody that an eplayan invites as a guest is welcome.

Juts NO RANDOM STRANGERS!

FIGJAM wrote:Could the invites be kept on the down-low through PMs and such without too much trouble?
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Postby Elderberry » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:02 am

The M&G has grown in size and concept. If Doc's camp can no longer accommodate it, maybe thought should be given to another venue.

Regarding private events at BM...then I guess there can be no private moderator meetings, no private ranger events, no thank you parties for people that work the event, no private functions for any camp. That's just ridiculous. Private parties and events happen on the playa ALL THE TIME. Don't know why that should make you feel "icky", unless maybe it was something you wanted to go to and didn't get an invite; but that just makes me feel left out. :wink:

Eric wrote:

JK
Elderberry

Postby lazerfox » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:38 am

I had honestly thought it was mostly agreed that the event will not be in the guide and that we would prefer to keep it at BDC&WV.

Some thoughts to consider:
- Just because the event was big this year doesn't mean it will be as big in years following. (Anything is possible and it has the potential to be less, same or bigger)

- Instead of scrapping the potluck idea maybe give the option to gifters to separate their food or leave it out in the event for anyone to take. (Not sure if there would be enough tables for this so someone feel free to correct me if needed)

- Making the 2012 Meet n Greet thread into a sticky for that year allows it to be seen by active participants and lurkers alike (lovely mods out there hear my plea)

- If for some reason we really want to add to the guide add a sentence that states any non-eplayans will be required to gain access via a series of tests. (May or may not happen but has potential to reduce the visits from free-loaders)

- Have an area in the entry that has the nametags (pre-made and blank. I volunteer to man it until the pre-made ones are gone...I can also explain what eplaya is to those interested in becoming a part of eplaya)

- There is no way to prevent passers by from entering the event but I do believe if there is food brought the loss can be mitigated by implementing someone's idea where the food is brought to a separate area (which already exists in BDC&WV like between RVs so it is not an inconvenience. I know in my camp we had lots of empty space where tables could have been setup and be separated from the hangout space)
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister
lazerfox

Postby cpart » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:57 am

jkisha wrote:That's a load of crap. The non eplayans I met there basically had no clue...no clue about eplaya, no interest in finding out about eplaya, no interest I anything other than getting to the free food and booze.

I have no problem with low posters and lurkers that actually are there because they want to meet all the people they have been reading about all year, but to not make the event private, it becomes nothing more than another random event on the playa.

I was going to say something along these similar lines, but as a newcomer with a low post count, I figured I'd let someone known say it. I saw pictures from a Reddit Meet and Greet which I missed and they were all Redditors. If I want to meet other random Burners then I will go meet them at another party/event/anywhere else. I didn't attend this year's eplaya m&g simply due to the fact that there were so many random people, I knew they weren't all eplayans then I realized they all came because of the post in the WWW. Any time there is a food post in the WWW the line is LONG. I think a lot of people fail to follow the cardinal rule of "radical self reliance" and rely on these free food events to feed their bellies.
cpart

Postby Elderberry » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:03 am

Again, this is crap! Passer's by don't get into our PRIVATE camp functions, if someone should happen in by accident, they are politely asked to leave. There is a way, there is ALWAYS a way.

lazerfox wrote:
- There is no way to prevent passers by from entering the event but I do believe if there is food brought the loss can be mitigated by implementing someone's idea where the food is brought to a separate area (which already exists in BDC&WV like between RVs so it is not an inconvenience. I know in my camp we had lots of empty space where tables could have been setup and be separated from the hangout space)
JK
Elderberry

Postby Elderberry » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:05 am

cpart wrote:
jkisha wrote:That's a load of crap. The non eplayans I met there basically had no clue...no clue about eplaya, no interest in finding out about eplaya, no interest I anything other than getting to the free food and booze.

I was going to say something along these similar lines, but as a newcomer with a low post count, I figured I'd let someone known say it. I saw pictures from a Reddit Meet and Greet which I missed and they were all Redditors. If I want to meet other random Burners then I will go meet them at another party/event/anywhere else. I didn't attend this year's eplaya m&g simply due to the fact that there were so many random people, I knew they weren't all eplayans then I realized they all came because of the post in the WWW. Any time there is a food post in the WWW the line is LONG. I think a lot of people fail to follow the cardinal rule of "radical self reliance" and rely on these free food events to feed their bellies.

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000
How hard can this be to "get"????? Even a person with a low post count was able to figure this out. Duh!
JK
Elderberry

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:07 am

I'd venture to say that 85%-90% of the "randoms" were there because of the WWW listing alone. Nix that, and you have a huge majority of problems solved right there.

Name tag station at front entrance with a greeter politely asking for your eplaya name. Food in back. No listing in the WWW.

Problems solved.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Elderberry » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:15 am

In my mind, it wasn't agreed that it would be kept at BDC&WB unless they were willing to do what was necessary to prevent the same fiasco as this past year.

And again, more crap. The event will do nothing but grow as long as the attendance at BM grows.

And regarding having an OPTION of who gets the food, an even worse logistical nightmare. Frankly, my camp serves root beer floats every day of the week to thousands of wonderful strangers. When I spend hours in a hot kitchen on the playa to prepare something special for FRIENDS on EPLAYA, I expect it to be eaten by my FRIENDS. Not a bunch of total strangers.

If it sounds like I am passionate about this, it's because I am. I want the event to continue go grow and get better and better each year. I don't want to hear this or that can't be accommodated when it is necessary to (my vision of) the success of the event. Having new, extra and participatory things associated with the M&G is one of the things that will cause it to become popular and continue to grow. Being able to contribute is one of the best ways to cause people to feel that they belong.

lazerfox wrote:I had honestly thought it was mostly agreed that the event will not be in the guide and that we would prefer to keep it at BDC&WV.

Some thoughts to consider:
- Just because the event was big this year doesn't mean it will be as big in years following. (Anything is possible and it has the potential to be less, same or bigger)

- Instead of scrapping the potluck idea maybe give the option to gifters to separate their food or leave it out in the event for anyone to take. (Not sure if there would be enough tables for this so someone feel free to correct me if needed)

- Making the 2012 Meet n Greet thread into a sticky for that year allows it to be seen by active participants and lurkers alike (lovely mods out there hear my plea)

- If for some reason we really want to add to the guide add a sentence that states any non-eplayans will be required to gain access via a series of tests. (May or may not happen but has potential to reduce the visits from free-loaders)

- Have an area in the entry that has the nametags (pre-made and blank. I volunteer to man it until the pre-made ones are gone...I can also explain what eplaya is to those interested in becoming a part of eplaya)

JK
Elderberry

Postby Lassen Forge » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:29 am

It's kinda simple to do the no nametag, no entry thing... HEY - Ideal rite of passage - to get in, or better, to the food, you have to go thru the back of Doc's RV to get to that area... (which will keep out all but the bravest!)...

I love the whole M&G thing... but IMO it should be limited to ePlayans/3playans... because that's what it's supposed to be for.

Also maybe staging the food in back back, and bringing it out in phases (like they do for restaurant buffets, etc.)... I know it's kinda funky, but it would help stretch the food out through the scheduled part of the event. It'll take some space to do that but it would solve the issue of all the food being gone in 15 minutes.

And side note... I know of one camp that won't be doing next year what they did this year - making the M&G snacks their camp meal that night. That was really tasteless, not only was it lacking in radical self reliance, it bordered on entitlement. Anyway, some anonymous nameless ePlayan shit disturber brought up privately to that camp's management just how uncool that shit was... and that camp's management has affirmed it will not do that again. (No names deliberately mentioned at the request of his Immolent and Oversexed, er, Oversexy Burniness, Doc Pyro)

Next year... maybe we should make chocolate ex-lax crepes for the untagged masses? Or a few racks of grey water otter pops?
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Elderberry » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:56 am

I have read a lot of funny things on eplaya, but that was literally the first thing that actually caused me to spit coffee on my screen!

And this just pisses me off to no end!

And regarding the staging, I totally agree...say event starts at 6pm. Food is brought and arranged on the table from 6-6:30 or so, at which point the buffet opens. So most things are already there, and whatever late comers brought would replenish it automatically. Or some other such arrangement.

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:It's kinda simple to do the no nametag, no entry thing... HEY - Ideal rite of passage - to get in, or better, to the food, you have to go thru the back of Doc's RV to get to that area... (which will keep out all but the bravest!)...

I love the whole M&G thing... but IMO it should be limited to ePlayans/3playans... because that's what it's supposed to be for.

Also maybe staging the food in back back, and bringing it out in phases (like they do for restaurant buffets, etc.)... I know it's kinda funky, but it would help stretch the food out through the scheduled part of the event. It'll take some space to do that but it would solve the issue of all the food being gone in 15 minutes.

And side note... I know of one camp that won't be doing next year what they did this year - making the M&G snacks their camp meal that night. That was really tasteless, not only was it lacking in radical self reliance, it bordered on entitlement. Anyway, some anonymous nameless ePlayan shit disturber brought up privately to that camp's management just how uncool that shit was... and that camp's management has affirmed it will not do that again. (No names deliberately mentioned at the request of his Immolent and Oversexed, er, Oversexy Burniness, Doc Pyro)

Next year... maybe we should make chocolate ex-lax crepes for the untagged masses? Or a few racks of grey water otter pops?
JK
Elderberry

did someone call for Security?

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:58 am

let me work the door...

i can smell an eplayan from 50 feet away.

I'd rather Burn on my Feet, than Rave on my knees

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby lazerfox » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:01 am

jkisha didn't you already say you were going to hold a private eplayan lychee martinin event on another day at your camp?

if you hold the MnG at your event are you discarding this event in it's place?
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister
lazerfox

Re: Smelling an ePlayan's 50 feet...

Postby Lassen Forge » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:01 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:let me work the door...

By Thursday, that's not a hard feat!

Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Savannah » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:07 am

I may put in a formal request to have my playa name changed to Grey Water Otter, but I can't remember the last playa name I swore I'd wear. (And before I get reckless, I would really prefer to compare and contrast.)
Savannah

Re: did someone call for Security?

Postby Elderberry » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:12 am

Only problem with that is that you're much friendlier in person than you appear on line. :shock: :lol:
But people "working the door" isn't a bad idea, especially if it's in conjunction with the name tags.

JK
Elderberry

Re: did someone call for Security?

Postby ygmir » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:17 am

jkisha wrote:Only problem with that is that you're much friendlier in person than you appear on line. :shock: :lol:
But people "working the door" isn't a bad idea, especially if it's in conjunction with the name tags.

ready, to serve and protect!

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby cpart » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:25 am

I am willing to stand the door too. And I'm an asshole IRL as much as I am on here. I don't see any need to sugarcoat shit, ever... well unless it's towards my Mom, but that's a different ball game.
cpart

Postby lazerfox » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:58 am

so what you are all saying is you don't trust me to protect the door...I see you guys don't know me very well.
lazerfox

Postby lazerfox » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:06 pm

jkisha didn't you say you were going to hold a private eplayan lychee martini event at your camp?
if you hold the MnG also at your camp are you discarding this martini event in it's place?

I work yearly events at my job and private or not there is no way that everyone will be happy or feel welcomed when it involves this many different types of people.
Personal example of totally different personality: When I arrived at the MnG my first inclination was not to assume that most were not eplayans I actually thought the completely opposite ("Wow there are a lot more eplayans here than I expected") and then I proceeded to jump head first to find someone I knew; there was no way I was going to miss it due to it being packed with people (eplayan or non).
(It is a shame that you didn't get to participate cpart! However that was the choice you made at the time.)

Also with all the bad mojo that has been posted on this thread there is definitely a possibility that next year some opt-out due to drama aversion on their part. And with possibly removing the potluck portion there is also a possibility there for more opt-outs.

I understand and appreciate your passion but it honestly doesn't seem like there is a ton of interest in moving the event (with or without any guarantees). Feel free to setup a poll and gather more precise interest as I could be wrong.

But so far the majority of recommendations have been adjustments at the current location.

The idea of your private happy hour event held at your camp appeared to be well received (myself included!! hope you would still let me partake) and it could provide you with the satisfaction you are looking for in your vision. Or if you are even more passionate you can hold a separate MnG and we can just all call it a day and people will just be free to choose how they experience meeting other eplayans. (attend 1, both or whatever)

I do believe MJ will be taking over the planning for the 2012 one over at the BDC&WV and she would be crazy not to already have all of your comments and concerns noted. But until she makes her intentions/plans known honestly the horse you are beating is way past the gangrene stage. Like you said you are advocating your vision...but this particular event (on this thread) is not yours alone.

In conclusion, sorry I tried to offer ideas but I thought we were just brain storming; they were not meant as bible by any means. I can see now that what is desired is a contract signed in blood and I'm just currently not in a position to do that.
lazerfox

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:09 pm

lazerfox wrote:so what you are all saying is you don't trust me to protect the door...I see you guys don't know me very well.

I sure as hell wouldn't fuck with you. No joke.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Postby MyDearFriend » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:18 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
lazerfox wrote:so what you are all saying is you don't trust me to protect the door...I see you guys don't know me very well.

I sure as hell wouldn't fuck with you. No joke.

+1000

With LZF out front and Mel in the back, wow... I think we're secure. No ropes required.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby Elderberry » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:30 pm

Just to clarify:

First and foremost, I don't think there should be two separate official Eplaya Meet 'n Greets; I want to see the numbers grow, not be split; and it is hard enough for people to make one event, let alone two.

Second, up until hearing that whole camp(s) were allowed to invaded the event and use the M&G pot luck table for personal camp diner, I was open to keeping the event where it was; I now have serious doubts.

Third, I will be hosting a private event at our camp, mostly for eplayans, but not exclusively, as I don't want to split the M&G. My original thought was to have it be a Lychee Martini centered event, but there has been a lot of talk as to wine and cheese; so what will be served and the day it will occur are still in flux.

Fourth, other than the tradition of hosting the event at BDC&WB, if as the event grows, BDC&WB is not willing or able to meet the demands of said growth, I have offered an alternative; whether this option is exercised or not has nothing to do with me; I am just putting it out there as an option.

Our camp can provide the following:
1. A 40' air conditioned dome. (Totally private)
2. A 20' x 40' shade structure. (Mostly private, but it won't matter as food would be served in the dome.)
3. A DJ spinning conversation music for the first two hours of the event, transitioning to dance music for the second two hours.
4. Our camp members hosting the event so that eplayans could just come and enjoy. (Note I said hosting, not eating all the food.)
5. Paper and plastic service for food.
6. Trash hauling.
8. And of course, the name tags. :)

I'll be at the M&G no matter whether the decision to use our space is yea or nea; but being that it's available, I just don't want to hear excuses as to why the needs of the group can't be met.

lazerfox wrote:jkisha didn't you say you were going to hold a private eplayan lychee martini event at your camp?
if you hold the MnG also at your camp are you discarding this martini event in it's place?

I work yearly events at my job and private or not there is no way that everyone will be happy or feel welcomed when it involves this many different types of people.
Personal example of totally different personality: When I arrived at the MnG my first inclination was not to assume that most were not eplayans I actually thought the completely opposite ("Wow there are a lot more eplayans here than I expected") and then I proceeded to jump head first to find someone I knew; there was no way I was going to miss it due to it being packed with people (eplayan or non).
(It is a shame that you didn't get to participate cpart! However that was the choice you made at the time.)

Also with all the bad mojo that has been posted on this thread there is definitely a possibility that next year some opt-out due to drama aversion on their part. And with possibly removing the potluck portion there is also a possibility there for more opt-outs.

I understand and appreciate your passion but it honestly doesn't seem like there is a ton of interest in moving the event (with or without any guarantees). Feel free to setup a poll and gather more precise interest as I could be wrong.

But so far the majority of recommendations have been adjustments at the current location.

The idea of your private happy hour event held at your camp appeared to be well received (myself included!! hope you would still let me partake) and it could provide you with the satisfaction you are looking for in your vision. Or if you are even more passionate you can hold a separate MnG and we can just all call it a day and people will just be free to choose how they experience meeting other eplayans. (attend 1, both or whatever)

I do believe MJ will be taking over the planning for the 2012 one over at the BDC&WV and she would be crazy not to already have all of your comments and concerns noted. But until she makes her intentions/plans known honestly the horse you are beating is way past the gangrene stage. Like you said you are advocating your vision...but this particular event (on this thread) is not yours alone.

In conclusion, sorry I tried to offer ideas but I thought we were just brain storming; they were not meant as bible by any means. I can see now that what is desired is a contract signed in blood and I'm just currently not in a position to do that.
Last edited by Elderberry on Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JK
Elderberry

a new plan.

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:42 pm

cant we just hang around drinking piss warm PBR's and smoking Marlboro's until we fall down? I don't like eating that much while im on the playa, unless it's hallucinogens.

just sayin'.
I'd rather Burn on my Feet, than Rave on my knees

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

PreviousNext

Return to 2011 Theme Camps