CrossFit Black Rock City - any interest?

CrossFit Black Rock City - any interest?

Postby livinginBPM » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:35 am

After a two-year break, 2011 will be my fifth burn, and now that I'm older and wiser, I want to give back to our beloved community by putting on a theme camp.

In the last couple of years, I've found joy and health in both CrossFit and the Paleo diet, and I'd like to bring both to the Playa by opening CrossFit Black Rock City. We'd run some workouts (taking it easy, of course, given the harsh conditions), and give seminars on sustainable paleo eating.

I also got married last year, and it will be my lovely wife's first burn, so I wanted to show her up front that participating is waaaaay better than spectating!

We're based in Washington, DC, so we can't lug a pullup bar or weights to the playa. That said, we're prepared to do a lot of the heavy lifting (pun intended), including budget, organization, registration with BRC, etc.

For now, I just want to gauge interest and hopefully find some crossfitters in CA or NV who could bring some of the necessary equipment.

Let me know if you think this could be fun and want to join in!

Mike
"The innocent and the beautiful have no enemy but time." -- W.B. Yeats
livinginBPM

Postby KestrelSF » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:04 pm

Hey Mike

I'm the token Paleo in my camp, which is a bunch of gays from San Francisco, but most of them do appreciate bacon. Doing some paleo seminars or crossfit WoDs would rock! Just get it posted good and early in the what/where/when guide.

My friends my give me grief about the whole paleo gig, but 140 pounds lighter they can't argue with the results.
KestrelSF

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Paradise Motel

Postby desiato » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:32 am

Doing a WOD or two at BM would definitely appease my conscience! Go for it I say!
desiato

Crossfit and they will come

Postby kelly3d » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:59 pm

There was a camp that posted times for WODs last year but whenever we went by there wasn't anyone around. I think there are enough crazy people that would show up and participate in activities if you got a functional camp going.
kelly3d

Postby davem » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:37 pm

I know a lot of people who are into CrossFit, but I have not done it myself. I would definitely stop by to join in. I love training and am getting ready for the Tough Mudder here in June...

http://toughmudder.com/

:)
davem

Postby cpart » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:10 pm

Sounds interesting to me. I will look for you in "the book"
cpart

Burning Since: 2010

Postby lazerfox » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:17 pm

Would you be testing people to make sure they are not already too dehydrated to participate?
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister
lazerfox

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:39 pm

I remember a few years back, some moron built a barbarian obstacle course. ;)
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:20 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:I remember a few years back, some moron built a barbarian obstacle course. ;)

Yeah, whatever happened to him?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby ANGIE » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:22 pm

I've always wanted to do Cross Fit! why not start on the playa?
ANGIE

Postby matt_fisher » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:17 am

Yay Dust Burpees!

+10

Last year there were at least two gyms set up that I noticed (one at my camp), so you might not need to bring any gear at all. And it's probably a good idea to keep to simpler WODs anyhow-- I don't know how many temporary built structures are going to support people doing kip-ups on em.

CrossFit is all about adaptation and improvisation. I think it's perfect for the burn.
matt_fisher

WOD on the art

Postby Caution Mike » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:05 am

It might be fun to do some crossfitting... but this is a vacation and it's already exhausting just hoofing it around out there.

Also, i have to say one of the most depressing things i ever saw out there was a woman doing a morning jog in spandex with headphones on. Not that she needed my approval but it made feel like i was in Boulder, CO rather than Black Rock City.

Here is an idea.. get some crossfitters together and jog out to the various deep playa art projects and then do some timed work out on each piece.

Just a thought.
Caution Mike
Temple Crew 2005-2007
Ranger 2004-2006
Burninator Crew 2009
Johnny on the Spot crew 2004
Caution Mike

Re: WOD on the art

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:08 am

Caution Mike wrote:It might be fun to do some crossfitting... but this is a vacation and it's already exhausting just hoofing it around out there.

Maybe for you.

Ugly Dougly

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:09 am

Ugly Dougly

Postby asin » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:03 pm

I'm a long-time Crossfitter from Vancouver. I don't think I'd be able to bring any gear beyond a kettlebell or ropes. But I would certainly attend a few WODs if they were on offer. I'm pretty sure we could make up some entertaining challenges with whatever we could find on hand!
asin

Postby jonnyg » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:49 pm

Hi, I started crossfit about two months ago and love it. It's changed my life. I actually work for Burning Man, so I don't know how much help I could give, but I would love to hook up on playa for some WODs. That would be AWESOME. Thanks guys!
jonnyg

Re: CrossFit Black Rock City - any interest?

Postby alt12 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:42 pm

Make sure you are placed next to one of the medical tents...
alt12

Burning Since: 2003

Postby jonnyg » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:29 am

Btw.... I'm a paramedic too. IMHO-Don't overdo it and I think you'll be fine.
jonnyg

Postby ashworth » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:17 am

Definately interested! Coming over from UK, so won't be able to bring any gear, but will hit up some WODs if they are running. Imagine pulling out an amazing PB from the playa. Been doing crossfit for 6 months now, and it has changed my life!
ashworth

Postby sukh555 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:31 am

YES YES YES!!! I am in for a couple of WODS. Keep me posted.
sukh555

Postby livinginBPM » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:39 am

Hi all - there wasn't too much interest - at least not in time to register - so we won't be a registered theme camp. that said, i'm definitely down to do some WODs - probably more gymnastics-oriented than met-con. Can someone tell me the best way to advertise the WOD times in the book?

Looking forward to meeting you all...
"The innocent and the beautiful have no enemy but time." -- W.B. Yeats
livinginBPM

Postby homey » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:36 am

the cutoff to enter events in the book was july 1, but you can still post events in the online calendar, to which there are links on the bm homepage. i think your best bet is to make some really good signs and post them by your camp announcing times for any group workouts, or just post the WOD itself out front for people to try. if you'd like to make it really exciting, perhaps take a few campmates into a busy part of town like center camp or the man and rustle up an impromptu group workout on the spot with whoever's there. having to get creative to find things to pull up on and push off of and lift will be really fun.
pickle joint 2003-2013, paul is sexy 2002-2003, moontribe 1999
homey

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pickle Joint

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:41 am

I think that most the "business" for my camp was from "walk-in customers". :)
Ugly Dougly

Postby KestrelSF » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:30 pm

You might want to bring some premade signs to put up in center camp to tell folks where to find ya. And make sure to put a listing on http://playaevents.burningman.com/

Do you guys have an idea of where you will be camping? My camp will be at 7:20 and E. http://desertparadise.org
KestrelSF

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Paradise Motel

Postby jo-el » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:31 am

This is my first burn as well and I'm have 10 weeks left to train for my first marathon.
Please let me know where you plan on doing the WOD's. I want to get 3-4 workouts in.
Also there's a 5k at 8am on the Esplanade at Center Camp (Esplanade & 6:00)
jo-el

Postby jag8 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:49 am

there is a dedicated group that will be running an ultramarathon around the perimeter of the playa. they have a group on facebook if you look em up.
jag8

Postby Phil G » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:23 pm

I'd be interested in stopping by and learning more about Crossfit and the Paleo diet. If you register at center camp when you get there, people can look you up and find out where you are. I stay pretty fit and in shape, but have always been interested in Crossfit, I just don't know anybody who does it. I'd love to get some exercise in while on the playa. Hopefully I'll see you out there.

Have a great burn!
Phil
Phil G

Postby freemanda » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:35 pm

This is awesome. If you'd like to work on a camp for next year, let me know! I am in CA and would be happy to help work on the WODs. The travel WODs don't require much anyway....a jump rope, handstands, squats, and planks would be enough to keep most of us happy!

It would be really fun to have a functional Paleo camp with good food...this year I kind of stayed paleo (no grains 'cept one corn tortilla), but would have loved to share better food! Let's make it happen!
freemanda

Postby peacefulwarrior916 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:02 pm

I'm a local (Reno) and I have been pondering a Crossfit Black Rock City camp since just before this last burn (2011, my 1st). I have a CF level 1 trainer, a prior 5 yr personal trainer and am currently a paramedic. I have also volunteered at the last 2 CF Games and 1 regional. Heavy into the Paleo Diet with a little more knowledge added (Natural Cures "They" Don't Want You to Know About stuff and more). I am absolutely in for helping in this adventure and would love to see it happen. I believe that Crossfit and the Burner lifestyle would be an amazing synergistic combination! I have some equipment myself and can arrange to get more. Feel free to e-mail directly about this and lets get it going! :) Kelsey (male)

kktranscendence (at) gmail (dot) com
peacefulwarrior916

Postby mysporks » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:20 pm

I won't be able to bring any gear with me, but I would love to be able to come work out on the playa! Doing a WOD at Burning Man... How novel. LOL. I'm definitely going to need a shower afterward! Yikes!
mysporks

Next

Return to 2011 Theme Camps