Mega camps not returning next year?

Postby redrum420 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:57 am

Doesn't anyone remember the burn is what everyone makes it. If your tired of electronic music, then do something about it. Bring your own bands / style of music to the burn. Don't talk about it, be about it. I would love to see more bands or musical expression on the playa. Make it happen yall.
redrum420

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:21 am

Eric wrote:
Simon of the Playa wrote:ALL POLKA ALL THE TIME!

Well, if anyone does this I have enough Polka to cover about 20-24 hours without repeating a band/song (songs will repeat, but not the same band doing the same song). They're on vinyl so I'd have to get them burned- I'm not bringing 50 year old vinyl to the playa.

Polka night at Boobie Bar?

*drool*
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:15 am

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:How about 10,000 watts of Lawrence Welk, Liberace, and Arthur Godfrey? (With a little Tom Jones thrown in for excitement)

(would make you wish for thumpthump to return!!)

Added Special Attraction - The Osmonds do the Carpenters!

Georgie Boy is all a-swoon, Sue!
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:43 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
Eric wrote:
Simon of the Playa wrote:ALL POLKA ALL THE TIME!

Well, if anyone does this I have enough Polka to cover about 20-24 hours without repeating a band/song (songs will repeat, but not the same band doing the same song). They're on vinyl so I'd have to get them burned- I'm not bringing 50 year old vinyl to the playa.

Polka night at Boobie Bar?

*drool*

i will plan a trip to cleveland, ohio, the modern epicenter of polka, and obtain the appropriate accoutrements.

and a busload of old Polocks for flava.
fuck you, it's magic

NO SLEEP TIL GERLACH

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby RedHeaven » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:13 pm

I think it's great to discuss our wants and desires of the Playa. Maybe it will spark us or someone to make changes or get creative. Contemplation is where ideas are born....sometimes!

Its great to hear discussion about music. I am very music sensitive and adore audio experiences, even negative ones or ones Im not fond of. One of the reasons I go to the mega sound camps when Im in BRC is to get freaked out a bit by big scary sound. I spend a small amount of time milling and checking it out and sometimes getting into it for 5 insane seconds, and then Im done and its time to hit up the suburbs.

To continue with the music talk ~ Live bands are like nothing else and it would be wonderful world if bands had the money and equipment to properly rage BRC. It would also be nice if the large camps werent so attached to the trends. The trends are what funds the machine though, and its like this revolution of support between whats cool and what people want. What do people want? Seems like a lot of people will be into whatever those big speakers busted out. There seems to be a rhythm of hypnotic apocolyptic beats that is like a drone and everyone follows the drone. It messes with your head like nothing else. The DJs feed off one another and this pulse. I can understand its art form and its "unifying" quality.....to an extent.
Its kinda like you have to be INTO that music, and if you are, you are a freak of this particular nature, and you feel like you can belong if you just break thru and feel the tunes. Rites of Passage to Shitty Music? hahaha.....I hope you get what Im saying.....Anyways, I am kind of annoyed at that an intrigued at the same time.
Sometimes you'll hear a familiar track that will come out of the dark alien fog, and everyone freaks out...because it takes them back to Earth for a sec. Maybe thats the purpose of that music.....to hold one back from Earthy elements for so long that when one does land, its like HOLY SHIT!

But ultimately, its ALIENATING. Yeah, times are changing and I probably sound like an old lady.....but I just wish there was more music at the mega sound camps that was ALL INCLUSIVE. Now, no one music is really all inclusive. You cant get a whole crowd to love one track. But I just wish they had acts that played more music that attracted All Types of people, not just Alien Whomp Hippy Hipster Tribal Ravers.

I actually enjoy the array of electronic from the art cars.

Like one morning, we were at the pyramid in 08 watching the sun rise. Flatulent Temple was playing some psy-wobble at 6am. then, all the sudden from a block down the Esplanade, a sound camp that is almost as loud (or they were in our direction) was playing Here Comes Sunshine by the Grateful Dead. Needless to say, it was quite a wonderful playa mash up!

Im not even a big Pink Floyd fan, but I thought at the time, wow, would it be fucking amazing to hear Pink Floyd come out of those Opulent Temple speakers all the sudden....What would that sound like at that scale at this time of day out there? Just for a moment.....If only.....it was just for a bit more than it is now.

I do my part, I DJ smaller venues. Ive DJed at GlitterCamp and Astral Lounge. Im just an old Disc Jockey....I dont do my own remixes or any of that jazz yet, but Im workin on it. What I have done already people find refreshing, because I play easily accessible music that draws people in, not puts them thru a trip ringer. There are other DJs like that out there, you just gotta know where to listen.

Then again, BMan for me has always been about pushing my limits, so sometimes those camps do that for my ears. Ive camped by them the last 3 years so I have learned to feel em. (Hookahdome in particular which was pretty cool) but I am done doing that.

Sorry to be so long winded. It just feels good to discuss. ULTIMATELY, I agree with the poster who said its nice that they are there to act like magnets for the riff raff. They are like energy beams.....but I too, must learn myself how to walk away from them when I have to, and find my path around the art and the streets.
Hamsa Lila, Albino, The Mermen, and so many others, live music has definitely been my most AMAZING boogey memories at BMan.
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:38 am

its nice that they are there to act like magnets for the riff raff.

WHO ARE YOU CALLING RIFF-RAFF, SISTAH?

sure, it would be EASY to preach to the choir, sure it's nice to be with like minded people who all agree, but where is the NET GAIN?

if i can convince some asshole into being a good burner by example, and showing him/her what it means to "Be" in the the moment and Participate havent I added to the mix someone with GUSTO and ZEAL about their conversion? Noone made a Better PR man than Paul after his little journey to Tarsis.

how dare you dismiss a segment of our population like that.

how dare you cast judgement, when you obviously live in a glass house.

fuck off with your snide, smug opinion of the "Large Sound Camps", we are inclusive by nature. And we dont Judge you by the color of your Prius, we just want you to DANCE.
fuck you, it's magic

NO SLEEP TIL GERLACH

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby HandJamMasterC » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:12 am

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:
How about 10,000 watts of Lawrence Welk, Liberace, and Arthur Godfrey? (With a little Tom Jones thrown in for excitement)

(would make you wish for thumpthump to return!!)

Added Special Attraction - The Osmonds do the Carpenters!

Please God - NOOOOOOO!! That would be worse than camping next to the Gawd Awful Country Western Saloon this year. :shock: :twisted: :cry:
CAMP D.O.A.

Fun As A Scorched Earth Policy...........

https://sites.google.com/site/campdoa/
HandJamMasterC

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp D.O.A.

Postby Colorado_Kid » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:19 am

JStep wrote:In reading about the dust, I wouldn't bring any vinyl to the playa unless I was prepared to possibly throw it out or only play it on playafied turntables forever afterward.

What do you sound camps do with your equipment, do you have a separate set of playafied gear that you just basically write off as being your BM gear?

Jstep – Sorry for the SERIOUSLY LATE reply

Having a sound company, I have a air compressor that I use to clean out ALL of the gear every year anyway as a matter of preventative maintenance. 2010 was the first year that I brought a sound system to the playa, but I do a lot of outdoor shows and gear gets dusty in the unreal world, almost as much as on the playa. Here’s some tips we have learned. Cleaning the gear after the burn is nice actually. It fills your workshop with playa dust… Gives me flashbacks and makes me happy!

Racks
Buy amplifiers that pull air in from the back and blow it out the front. QSC is the brand we use. Build your rack so all slots are full, the back stays on, and there is a fan with a SERIOUS filter on it that moves more air into the rack then the amplifiers move out. The end result is a rack that has a slight positive pressure of clean filtered air. Change the filters DAILY at minimum!

Speakers
Use speakers that have grilles that are metal grilles with foam behind that. It helps…kinda…

Mixer
Designate an old mixer as a playa mixer. Hope that is survives for more than one year. Have a spare with you at the burn, incase you need it… We did last year. One of our DJ’s found out that mixer’s don’t like redbull.

Microphones
Microphones do fairly well out there. Don’t bring your nice condenser microphones out there. Stick with Dynamics preferably that have wind screens that are foam. Use foam windscreens the whole time to keep the playa out of the microphones. You can also use un-lubricated condoms as well. Some male vocalists don’t like them though :)

Cables
Blow out with your lungs ALL connections before you connect them EVERY time while out there. Wipe them down with soapy water, and blow the ends out when you return.
Ryan
Mountain Mayhem
Colorado_Kid

Postby RedHeaven » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:28 pm

[quote="Simon of the Playa"][quote]its nice that they are there to act like magnets for the riff raff.[/quote]

[size=24]WHO ARE YOU CALLING RIFF-RAFF, SISTAH?[/size]

sure, it would be EASY to preach to the choir, sure it's nice to be with like minded people who all agree, but where is the NET GAIN?

if i can convince some asshole into being a good burner by example, and showing him/her what it means to "Be" in the the moment and Participate havent I added to the mix someone with GUSTO and ZEAL about their conversion? Noone made a Better PR man than Paul after his little journey to Tarsis.

how dare you dismiss a segment of our population like that.

how dare you cast judgement, when you obviously live in a glass house.

fuck off with your snide, smug opinion of the "Large Sound Camps", we are inclusive by nature. And we dont Judge you by the color of your Prius, we just want you to [size=18]DANCE.[/size][/quote]

Chill the fuck out and take the flame thrower out of your butt! I'll feel how I wish about OUR city. If I enjoy the fact that the large camps attract the riff raff then thats my biznezz. I always go to the freakin large sound camps because I love loud music, but I can bitch all I want about the vibes there. Like I said I dont go to BMan to be comfortable. Obviously I dont come here to be comfortable, either ;)

You sound way hypocritical. You are accusing me of being Burn Snobby, when in turn you come back with one of the harshest Burn Snobbiest responses I have read here. Takes one to know one, sucka! :)
RedHeaven

Postby RedHeaven » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:32 pm

Plus it sounds like you are offended because you work your ass off for a large sound camp. In no way did I mean to offend your hard work. Geez I mean I am SURE you get a TON of awesome compliments all year long about your hard work, so don't take your feelings out on me.....I'm a backroad bitch now!

But here, since you seem so upset: Thank you for your awesome hard work. I have been really blown away by it many times and I appreciate it.

But Im still glad it attracts the riff raff! Whats a large city without riff raff anyway? They dont exist!
RedHeaven

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:22 am

So can anyone explain to me how calling someone "riffraff" isn't being judgemental?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Dr. Pyro » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:59 am

The only way you can even ask a question like that is if you have never been to Black Rock City. I mean, come on, have you ever even been to Gigsville?
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:17 am

Riffraff is a term for the common people or hoi polloi, but with negative connotations. The term is derived from Old French 'rif et raf' meaning 'one and all, every bit'(See http://oxforddictionaries.com/view/entr ... _gb0710730).

so, i guess i'm a commoner, then.....so be it...
fuck you, it's magic

NO SLEEP TIL GERLACH

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby Eric » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:34 pm

RedHeaven wrote:But Im still glad it attracts the riff raff! Whats a large city without riff raff anyway? They dont exist!

I think this song was written for RedHeaven:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ainyK6fXku0[/youtube]
yes, I like this better than Pulp's original. Bite me!

Simon of the Playa wrote:so, i guess i'm a commoner, then.....so be it...

If you're the definition of a "commoner" we need more of them.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:40 pm

and the half hour is up...

back in...

thank you eric...i am common...im a half breed with parts african and asian thrown in the mix.

evidently somewhere in my moms side in cuba they went native as well.

as a result of a "common" dna test i found out i'm just about every flavor under the sun...

and yes, i do bleed red.

America is a Great Melting Pot, i am merely the stew.
fuck you, it's magic

NO SLEEP TIL GERLACH

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby Dewey » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:21 pm

RedHeaven wrote:
Like one morning, we were at the pyramid in 08 watching the sun rise. Flatulent Temple was playing some psy-wobble at 6am. then, all the sudden from a block down the Esplanade, a sound camp that is almost as loud (or they were in our direction) was playing Here Comes Sunshine by the Grateful Dead. Needless to say, it was quite a wonderful playa mash up!

LOL how funny! I was just telling a co-worker about how much fun we had blasting The Dead on 60k watts out to the open playa in '08, and I shit you not, 5 minutes later I read this about you hearing some random Dead heard off in the distance. That was us (Emerald City) and we thoroughly enjoyed our lawn chairs in front of that ridiculous system and our good buddy Lloyd Tatum gracing us with his musical catalog. Nice to hear a random appreciation of something years later.

-Dewey
2k7 Booty Resin Space Camp (7 and J)
2k8 Emerald City Sound Camp (2 and D)
2k9 Camp John The Jew (8 and C)
2k12 ITS ON BABY!!!!
Dewey

Postby zcassidy » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:44 pm

I've suspected it for some time, but I guess it is now official: I am a Rif Raf. I look at it as a noun, and I take pride in this identity because I like music done monstrositiously.

In all fairness though, haven't posted in a while and I can't wait until I am back on the playa, knowing that all yall will be on the Playa as well, running around doing what it is you love, possibly not what I love, but having a blast. I hope we bump shoulders (literally: I LOVE bumping shoulders).

"BE ABSURD WITH YOUR GOODNESS" -Dirty
Be absurd with your goodness
zcassidy

Postby deermo » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:11 am

Dewey wrote:
RedHeaven wrote:

LOL how funny! I was just telling a co-worker about how much fun we had blasting The Dead on 60k watts out to the open playa in '08, and I shit you not, 5 minutes later I read this about you hearing some random Dead heard off in the distance. That was us (Emerald City) and we thoroughly enjoyed our lawn chairs in front of that ridiculous system and our good buddy Lloyd Tatum gracing us with his musical catalog. Nice to hear a random appreciation of something years later.

-Dewey

like the sound of your camps Dewey - i worked in a bar last year and we tried to play varied music which was a haven / relief for most people after a while

gonna try to get a live music stage arranged this year - will keep you posted ...
deermo

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: BassHenge

after reading..

Postby uncle sticky » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:57 pm

After reading all of these posts, I have come to a few conclusions:

1) There is a ton of live music on the playa, and it is just like the electronic stuff, some of it good, some of it bad, all of it free

2) If Janis Joplin played on the playa, people would be blown away, because she's been dead for a long time, and who doesn't love a zombie. Otherwise, people would be bored by it, because, as awesome and revolutionary as it was 40 years ago, well, thing have evolved and built on her legacy.

3) The biggest complaint seems to have the subtext of "I hate electronic music and empathic hallucinogens, but I love young raver pussy, and why can't someone have a camp that plays music that both appeals to me, and appeals to people that I'm attracted to but don't have anything in common with." Sorry, if you want to listen to classic rock, and smoke classic pot, you're going to have to bang old biker chicks from Gerlach. Or your spouse. Again, sorry.
The handbasket to hell is leaving. Hop in world!
uncle sticky

Re: after reading..

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:57 am

uncle sticky wrote:Sorry, if you want to listen to classic rock, and smoke classic pot, you're going to have to bang old biker chicks from Gerlach. Or your spouse. Again, sorry.

Sig worthy.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby desiato » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:14 pm

Uncle Sticky, you're a god.
desiato

Postby AntiM » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:02 am

Well, at least I get banged early and often.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby psychoalpha » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:28 am

Did anyone make it to Portal Patch last year? I was perusing some photos and say their set list and it blew me away. Lafa Taylor, Random Rab, Lynx, Heyoka, etc.

I'm all about some live music, even with a strong electronic vibe to it. Wish I'd gotten to the stage before it was shut down.
psychoalpha

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Anita Cocktail

Postby MyDearFriend » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:21 pm

AntiM wrote:Well, at least I get banged early and often.

It's the very best reason to get up in the morning. And to go to bed at night. And to come home for lunch...

:D
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Re: 2pm and Esplande 2011

Postby Peacekeeper » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:34 am

hmm, this is great n all, but you're not thinking big enough - c'mon people, show some ambition here, it's burning man...

centerofgravity wrote:Mega Techno Blastoid Camp!!!

i'll bring some rebar if it helps, m'kay?
Peacekeeper

LIKE!

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:11 am

OMFG!

Sir Richard Branson is finally going to make the Burn!

MUY MUY BLASTIDO!
fuck you, it's magic

NO SLEEP TIL GERLACH

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Previous

Return to 2011 Theme Camps