Mega camps not returning next year?

Postby The Chinese » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:17 pm

But 'em in touch with me. I'll take as many Rock, Metal,Punk acts as I can get.

Chino (Transmorphagon)
The Biggest Distraction... Funk On the Playa, Live uncut Funk, TheBomb, Comin at you from the Transmorphogon, 500 Kilowatts of Pure Funk Power. You Will be groovin'. So when yer sick of the Boomp Boomp of the Burn, come down to the T-Dome and Learn....
The Chinese

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:44 am

imperatrixi wrote:I would be really happy and excited to have live and danceable music at a large scale venue on the playa. I'm in Australia and I'd love to convince some of our live gypsy punk bands to come. Their music is passionate, raucous, soulful and very danceable. I can work up the same kind of frenetic dance euphoria as with dub step but it's live and real, and connecting with the musicians as they play is awesome.

Gogol Bordello are US based, getting them to come and play would blow my mind. They play fast and feisty gypsy punk in case you haven't heard them. I'm sure there are lots of great live and electronic fusion groups who would hit the spot. We have to get them to come!

Gettting these nice polkasters to attend was one of my idle day dreams for a while. Now, I'm thinking Big Lou's Polka Casserole would be more of a natural.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby dronf » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:04 pm

Even as someone who only listens to electronic music...i think there is far too much of it at BM these days. Even worse is that 90% of it being played is so bad(does OT really just play the same song 24/7 all week? sounded like it).

Some of my favorite years were in the mid-late 90s where there were large stages that only had live music. The tchkung show in 97 is possibly my favorite BM memory ever. Scott Jenerik banging on flaming oil drums and spraying sparks and flaming gas drops everywhere with that giant grinder in 98 was also pretty damn awesome. Burn night without 200 art cars full of speakers pointed at the man was a lot more intense. The only noise was from people, drums, and flamethrowers.

Putting the large scale soundcamps on the edge was a good idea, but they should maybe go a little further, or better enforce it. There were still some super loud camps going 24/7 back in the 'burbs.
On a horse made of crystal he patrolled the land, with his mason and his schnauzer and his perfect hands.
dronf

Postby drucake » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:29 am

i think that they should make the art cars shut the fuck up during the burn.
drucake

Postby moonpup » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:24 am

[quote="drucake"]i think that they should make the art cars shut the fuck up during the burn.[/quote]

Dam right, that was a right pain in the arse..... They had some great spinners and drummers come on but it was hard to hear over a crap michael jackson remix on a art car.... They should cut the art car music during any part of the burn....

As a first timer I loved the large scale soundsystems, made my festival, had some great times at root society, nexus, basscamp, opulent etc. Never saw or felt any bad vibes i.e undercover cops, fights etc..... Walking into nexus blows your mind when you first walk in, all the women hanging from the chains and people climbing up on the dome going nuts.... I really did not see any difference between the big sound camps and small sound camps apart from the size.... Best camp in my opinion was hookahdome....

I agree with what someone says though, there is way to much electronic music being played.. if you aint into dusbtep you are screwed.... But i loved it....
moonpup

Postby Tin Halo » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:09 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
imperatrixi wrote:I would be really happy and excited to have live and danceable music at a large scale venue on the playa. I'm in Australia and I'd love to convince some of our live gypsy punk bands to come. Their music is passionate, raucous, soulful and very danceable. I can work up the same kind of frenetic dance euphoria as with dub step but it's live and real, and connecting with the musicians as they play is awesome.

Gogol Bordello are US based, getting them to come and play would blow my mind. They play fast and feisty gypsy punk in case you haven't heard them. I'm sure there are lots of great live and electronic fusion groups who would hit the spot. We have to get them to come!

Gettting these nice polkasters to attend was one of my idle day dreams for a while. Now, I'm thinking Big Lou's Polka Casserole would be more of a natural.

Oh, this universe works in weird fucking ways.
Last night, on one of the photography blogs I frequent, there was a behind-the-scenes video for a photoshoot; the music for this video was 'Start Wearing Purple', which I had never heard before. Did a 'net search after watching the video, and have collected a few albums of Bordello's stuff, already.
What a blast. And even more so if we could get him to the playa in '11.
Tin Halo

Burning Since: 2004

Postby drucake » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:46 pm

yeah! why cant someone spends thousands of dollars getting a band out like that? my god, did they really get crystal method this year. come the fuck on people....can we expand our minds just a little bit? too much techno....dont get me wrong...i like some of it but fuck....its all over the place....we need to venture away from that a little. if i had the money id do something about it....but i cant. im poor and ill be lucky if i can even make it next year.
drucake

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:14 pm

Eric wrote:Well, whaddaya know.

Still say they're all so samey I can't tell them apart, but I will give RS props for the Bohemian Rhapsody. The only decent music I heard from the large camps.

thanks eric, that was JUST FOR YOU AND YOU ALONE!

we read your diary.

i digress.

2011 is an off year, the End Of The World isn't until 2012.

odds in Vegas right now are even money we'll be back.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTx9WMsxLLM[/youtube]

place your bets.

double down.

let it ride.
fuck you, it's magic

it's not a fucking festival, it's a PROJECT.

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby madmatt » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:29 pm

Gravybrain wrote:Gravybrain brought live music to the playa for our 3rd year. There were quite a few other live bands playing some of the same places we played (Mystikal Misfits, The Dept of Tethered Aviation, Booby Bar, Center Camp Cafe). We played in our own camp a few times near the corner of 7:30 and Athens (across from Brave New Melon Camp, we had the 3 story tower) but even cranked up you could not hear our band just a little ways down the street with all the other sound systems going. I think that live music will continue to grow and hopefully more live music stages like Transmorphogon (who had the sickest live sound) will appear. We are still cleaning up our music gear! Gravybrain's goal is to return in 2011 with live music again, wish us luck! In the mean time see you at SF Decomp 10/10/10!

You guys were awesome!!! Thanks so much! The live music really made the Mystikal Misfits Waldorf Mystoria Hotel special this year. :D
madmatt

Postby Gravybrain » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:34 pm

madmatt - thanks! We enjoyed playing at Mystikal Misfits and hope to play there again next year! The rain at the end of our set (forced end as it got wicked) was surreal, thanks for listening!
Gravybrain

Postby Cheyenne » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:48 am

We found that when putting on rigs at free parties here in the UK.. we had to perform Db meter tests to make sure our acoustic horizons were in check and didn't encroach too much beyond the boundary of the space - many of the spaces were makeshift shelters and warranted extra sound proofing by baling straw to make sound walls - it would probably be a logistical nightmare to sort out something like that for a BM camp and an utter fire hazard.. but similar fire retardant materials can be used

C

Go Tigers!
Cheyenne

Postby madmatt » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:44 pm

Cheyenne wrote:camp and an utter fire hazard.. but similar fire retardant materials can be used C

No problem!! There are thousands of Fire Retards at Burning Man.
madmatt

Postby o2centre » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:35 pm

I just signed up for an account to say: man there are a lot of haters in here!

I always thought the great thing about the Burn is that there's something for everyone. If megacamps and electronic music are your something, then you're wonderful. If live music and acoustic guitars are your something, you're wonderful too. If you hate music and music hates you, you're wonderful too, and I'm sure there's a camp for that.
o2centre

Postby fbcota » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:48 pm

I would loose my mind if Gogol Bordello came out to the playa. I would be surprised if the individual members haven't been.

I was about to say "Its not like we are haters". But then I changed my mind. I love drum and Base, dub step, good house, etc,... but its oppressive out there. And the big sound clubs seem to attract some folk who don't quite like the whole BM thing so much. By this I mean, I have never had anything stolen at BM except for at Root Society. Seems they attract a whole lot more tourists. On my own side, they tend to turn me into a real world, stay away from me asshole.

I will always want to hear electronic music out on the playa. Just not everywhere. I love seeing virgins and unique characters at BM. Though I'm not fond of the some of the normies the giant raves attract. I'm cool with a bit of moop and people cleaning it up. But I get a little pissed when you can count on 2 clubs to always be red on the moop map.

Haters unite, we should try to fund a live music venue on the playa. Maybe the pier,... :p Sorry had to plug it
fbcota

Postby Cheyenne » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:25 am

Hey...

I play techno and house (soulful melodic nice stuff - Detroit sound mostly) & chill Ambient experimental stuff

But I also DJ Punk, Post Punk, Obscure french electronica, Krautrock, Gary Numan, Pere Ubu, Magazine, DAF, Ensturzende Neubauten, Add (n) to X.. John Foxx, ec, etc

So I'm pretty open and have a wide genre appreciation..

Heck, I love political folk music too :)

Go Tigers!
Cheyenne

Postby Bobzilla » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:01 pm

OT is returning for 2011. They are having their first 2011 fundraiser in two weeks.
Bobzilla
BMIR Station Manager
Bobzilla

Postby Bobzilla » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:09 pm

and whoever it was that was looking for Jazz, try the Jazz Cafe in Center Camp. Live jazz every night of the event in an intimate atmosphere with a great sound system.
Bobzilla
BMIR Station Manager
Bobzilla

Postby bx1 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:58 pm

Although I am a fan of both Root Society and OT; I will say it is not necessarily a bad thing we don't see them in 2011. I'm not saying this because I run a much smaller but similarly themed camp to some of these other "mega sound art camps"; I'm saying this because many of us remember BM with many smaller themed camps. Where there is no overshadowing of these large mega camps.
Braden aka BX1 aka -=B=-

THE BUSH (Returning bigger and badder in 2011):

http://www.placesafterdark.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=872

bx1

Postby sktELEMENT » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:26 pm

[quote="drucake"]yeah! why cant someone spends thousands of dollars getting a band out like that? my god, did they really get crystal method this year. come the fuck on people....can we expand our minds just a little bit? too much techno....dont get me wrong...i like some of it but fuck....its all over the place....we need to venture away from that a little. if i had the money id do something about it....but i cant. im poor and ill be lucky if i can even make it next year.[/quote]

All the bands that come to the burn pay their own way...They PAY to play
Infect Me
sktELEMENT

Postby sktELEMENT » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:30 pm

And another thing...SOMEONE has to host these big names that are partying at the burn and they want to play...All you little camps could not handle Bassnectar or Crystal method or infected mushroom or whatever... There needs to be a camp that can basically handle the capacity and the sound....
Infect Me
sktELEMENT

Postby bx1 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:41 pm

sktELEMENT wrote:And another thing...SOMEONE has to host these big names that are partying at the burn and they want to play...All you little camps could not handle Bassnectar or Crystal method or infected mushroom or whatever... There needs to be a camp that can basically handle the capacity and the sound....

You'd be surprised who has played our little camp!
Braden aka BX1 aka -=B=-

THE BUSH (Returning bigger and badder in 2011):

http://www.placesafterdark.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=872

bx1

Postby David M » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:54 pm

Bobzilla wrote:OT is returning for 2011. They are having their first 2011 fundraiser in two weeks.

nm
David M

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Colorado_Kid » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:06 pm

We had a camp at 9:00 and A with a mix of live music and Electronica. People really came in for the band. Especially later in the week. I was becomming tired of the electronica...or bad eletronica, and many people came in and said the same.

We'll be back next year provided we get placed. Feel free to contact me if you have a band that would like to play. Be prepared to have demos preferrably live.

Live music is more difacult on the playa then electronica. One of our mixers didn't survive for example. That probably turns off alot of people. With electronica you have to have a small (8 channel) mixer, 2 monitors and your mains. With a live band, you have to have a large (>16 channel) mixer, four or more monitors. microphones, compressors, gates, effects, and a large stage.

Please let us know what you want to hear, and if it's worth it for us to do live music again.
Ryan
Mountain Mayhem
Colorado_Kid

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:50 am

ALL POLKA ALL THE TIME!

now sit down, shut up and Drink your Kool-aid and Spaetzle.
fuck you, it's magic

it's not a fucking festival, it's a PROJECT.

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Elorrum » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:39 am

Bert Kaempfert I hear, is interested in bringing his band 2011. Some think it is too repetitive, but I like it.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOf4uNwvC6c[/youtube]
Elorrum

Postby ibdave » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:31 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dY9gtYeHhk[/youtube]
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby The Chinese » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:53 pm

Colorado_Kid wrote:We had a camp at 9:00 and A with a mix of live music and Electronica. People really came in for the band. Especially later in the week. I was becomming tired of the electronica...or bad eletronica, and many people came in and said the same.

We'll be back next year provided we get placed. Feel free to contact me if you have a band that would like to play. Be prepared to have demos preferrably live.

Live music is more difacult on the playa then electronica. One of our mixers didn't survive for example. That probably turns off alot of people. With electronica you have to have a small (8 channel) mixer, 2 monitors and your mains. With a live band, you have to have a large (>16 channel) mixer, four or more monitors. microphones, compressors, gates, effects, and a large stage.

Please let us know what you want to hear, and if it's worth it for us to do live music again.

Dude, OF COURSE it's worth it. I would be most happy to pass on to you the bands that come and play on our stage so they can play at yours as well.

It IS hard. As one of the larger Live Stages, I can certainly attest to how hard it is, especially to get past the first levels... We've een growing, and we are at the point where we cant get any bigger without serious power uprades etc. BUt it TOTALLY is worth it.

Chino
The Biggest Distraction... Funk On the Playa, Live uncut Funk, TheBomb, Comin at you from the Transmorphogon, 500 Kilowatts of Pure Funk Power. You Will be groovin'. So when yer sick of the Boomp Boomp of the Burn, come down to the T-Dome and Learn....
The Chinese

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:02 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:ALL POLKA ALL THE TIME!

Well, if anyone does this I have enough Polka to cover about 20-24 hours without repeating a band/song (songs will repeat, but not the same band doing the same song). They're on vinyl so I'd have to get them burned- I'm not bringing 50 year old vinyl to the playa.

Polka night at Boobie Bar?
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby JStep » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:21 pm

Eric wrote: They're on vinyl so I'd have to get them burned- I'm not bringing 50 year old vinyl to the playa.

In reading about the dust, I wouldn't bring any vinyl to the playa unless I was prepared to possibly throw it out or only play it on playafied turntables forever afterward.

What do you sound camps do with your equipment, do you have a separate set of playafied gear that you just basically write off as being your BM gear? Would you ever bring a piece of equipment that was playafied into a dust free studio environment again?
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Burning Since: 2011

Postby The Chinese » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:56 pm

JStep wrote:
Eric wrote: They're on vinyl so I'd have to get them burned- I'm not bringing 50 year old vinyl to the playa.

In reading about the dust, I wouldn't bring any vinyl to the playa unless I was prepared to possibly throw it out or only play it on playafied turntables forever afterward.

What do you sound camps do with your equipment, do you have a separate set of playafied gear that you just basically write off as being your BM gear? Would you ever bring a piece of equipment that was playafied into a dust free studio environment again?

I assiduously clean out my gear... it literally takes almost a month.

T
The Chinese

PreviousNext

Return to 2011 Theme Camps