World of Warcraft Camp....please!

World of Warcraft Camp....please!

Postby shroom » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:30 am

I went to the WOW addicts meeting this year, lots of fun for us WOW geeks. If anyone is interested in putting together a whole WOW camp I want to help!

(if any of you were at the meeting, hi! It was fun to meet you all)
When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; Isaiah 43:2
shroom

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:56 am

How about Camp Valhalla? A hall where an endless supply of pork products and mead might be offered by winsome Valkyries, and the warriors battle endlessly with boffers. Give it a thought.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Kinetik V » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:56 am

So when do we get the Disney (R) Camp? How about the Star Wars (R) or Star Trek (R) camps? How about a Martha Stewart (R) camp to offer tips and advice on how to have the most efficient camp on the Black Rock? How about a Lanceland camp (You know, the ones that power the playa? Oops, already got that, my bad!) How about a real Starbucks (R) takeover of Center Camp? Wow, imagine the possibilities of turning Burning Man into Comic Con East! Next thing you know big media will come rushing in with thinly veiled theme camps and on and on that train will roll....not stopping until it jumps the tracks and wrecks the event we love.

Ok I got on my soapbox but come on, do we really want a bunch of people running around in WoW costumes? Seriously, that's something I'd expect at Comic Con but not in BRC.

Raining on people's paraded ideas is not something I like doing but this idea with all due respect disturbs me.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby shroom » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:50 am

I think the WOW costumes will go great with the tutu's and naked folks running around.
shroom

Postby Isotopia » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:08 pm

I think you should save your money and take a trip to Clownhenge.
Isotopia

Postby kickstart » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:11 pm

there is already Orgribbar, which was quite fun. You may want to get in contact with them if you're looking for a WoW themed camp.

As for the WoW Addicts "Recovery" Meeting, thank you and glad you made it out for the Delicious Chocolate Cake and Kungaloosh ;)
kickstart

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:16 pm

Pay no attention to the Yum-yuckers. Go ahead and follow your bliss.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Kinetik V » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:51 pm

The Disneyfication of Black Rock City takes another step forward! I'm so looking forward to the day that prior to the gate I can stop at the Black Rock Mall and pick up all of my last minute playa costume essentials, all of which have been safety tested and pre-screened. I gotta remember to swipe my loyalty card so when I get back from the playa I get bonus points for all of my games. And hey can I even get a bonus character that's been playa-accessorized as bonus content? Oh joy, sign me up!

I'm sorry but homogenized copycat creativity based on licensed characters is not for me...and the more I think about this WoW stuff on the playa...the more I think it's the start of turning BRC into ComicCon East. Seriously ComicCon started out pure...and then it got corrupted to where we have CBS rolling out previews of Hawaii Five-0 there...none of it having a damn thing to do with comics. The same thing could happen to BRC...it takes people speaking up and saying we don't want this to help shape the event.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
Kinetik V

Postby TinkTink » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:12 pm

man, just don't visit their camp. Why not let everyone express themselves as they wish? If your really into WoW, then express away.
TinkTink

Postby kickstart » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:22 pm

Kinetic V wrote:QQQ QQQ QQQ QQQQ

there, fixed.
kickstart

Postby Janric » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:38 pm

Well, this year they had Orgribbar, which strikes me as rather WoWish:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Orgribbar/112742485433079
Janric

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:46 pm

Shroom, just think how "burny" it is to ask for someone else to create a theme camp for you.

We do it one way at Burning Man: We bend over and shit it out.
Ugly Dougly

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:56 pm

The only reason I'm not saying anything has to do with my neighbors.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby mist » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:07 pm

why not take the lead and build the camp yourself...

just an idea... :roll:
"You can see everything and experience nothing, or you can see nothing and experience everything, it is what you make of it," Mist BM-06.
mist

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:14 am

Janric wrote:Well, this year they had Orgribbar, which strikes me as rather WoWish:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Orgribbar/112742485433079

That was a WoW camp. They gave out quests, even.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:39 am

Did they have Mohawk grenades?
Ugly Dougly

Postby Pink Daddy » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:26 pm

No, they didn't have Night Elf Mohawk grenades. I stopped by early in the week and completed a daily. It was fun. I was sent to Gnome Camp to adopt a gnome and take him for an adventure. I think he had a better Burn than I did. Anyways...

I was thinking about creating a camp event for next year, pretty much along the same lines as 'WoW Addicts'. But, it would be 'Warcraft Anonymous'. We would have the coins, 12 steps, and everything. The first coin would be '1 Day', then '2 Days', which would continue up to '1 Week', then '1 Month', '3 Months', '1 Year', etc. This way, people who have only quit playing for Burning Man can feel support during the week, plus those who have stopped playing for longer can show their strength. The meetings wouldn't be very long and would probably contain a happy hour (not to insult friends of Bill W) and social gathering.

Personally, I think it would be a little bit much to create a Warcraft camp, costumes and all. I didn't spend much time at Orgribbar, but they kind of played it as an inside joke... similar to when I showed up to 'Yes! Have some' in my Ghostbusters costume.
San Diego Co-Regional Contact (E-mail: sandiego@burningman.com) - Camp Inspiratum - What inspires you?
Pink Daddy

Postby shroom » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:21 pm

^^^i like your idea.

Having a theme camp seems a bit to big for me still. I would like to help with one.
shroom

Postby sktELEMENT » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:47 pm

If this entails dressing up as characters, starting a guild and living the game on the playa...fantastic! But if this means huddling around a bunch of computers and playing the game on a local network then please dear god, stay the fuck home!
Infect Me
sktELEMENT

Postby Pink Daddy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:58 am

If anyone shows up with a computer, expecting to play some Warcraft at Burning Man, I'm going to take them out to the 12:00 trash fence, drop them off, then give their computer to DPW.
San Diego Co-Regional Contact (E-mail: sandiego@burningman.com) - Camp Inspiratum - What inspires you?
Pink Daddy

Postby John Noggin » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:29 pm

Yeah, the Orgribar at 6 and D was hilarious. Not a WoW theme camp but more of a LARP camp.

I feel like any commercialization of Burning Man would suck.

However if someone wanted to have a WoW theme camp more power to them. As long as its built out of love and sheer insanity, but not Blizzard $, i'm down with it.
Born to kill, Live to die. -U.S.S. Vigilante

I'll tolerate your hobbies if you'll tolerate mine. -Guns and Dope Party
John Noggin

Postby C187 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Pink Daddy wrote:If anyone shows up with a computer, expecting to play some Warcraft at Burning Man, I'm going to take them out to the 12:00 trash fence, drop them off, then give their computer to DPW.

Didn't DPW spend half the set up time in 05 play'n WoW? I mean we just switched them to the less addicting substance of Meth. Don't make them have a relapse. Only one Gnome was killed and BBQ'd this year..

I personally missed the meeting this year. We talked about going.. but then decided to do as productive things. Like eating. But any camp that has people going out on quests gets my vote.

I can see it now..
Hundreds of low level people going out on their first quest. .. To kill bunnies.. All showing up at the Bunny March.. -- What.. it's a rite of passage, no?
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...
C187

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Stag Camp 8.0

Postby Kinetik V » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:23 pm

Pink Daddy wrote:I can see it now..
Hundreds of low level people going out on their first quest. .. To kill bunnies.. All showing up at the Bunny March.. -- What.. it's a rite of passage, no?

I'm sorry I was so opposed to this camp. If they would take on the culling of the bunnies....I might have to go buy a copy of WoW and start playing so I can participate!
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
Kinetik V

Postby Goggalor » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:13 am

Orgribbar was one of my favorite camps this year! They had quests, levels, awesome people, great music, and lots of wacky antics. FOR THE HORDE!
"Look on my works ye mighty and despair"
Goggalor

Postby Playa Mario » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:20 am

[quote="Pink Daddy"]If anyone shows up with a computer, expecting to play some Warcraft at Burning Man, I'm going to take them out to the 12:00 trash fence, drop them off, then give their computer to DPW.[/quote]
Well that is certainly a douchey thing to do. Let me take your party favors and dump them out by the trash fence.
Playa Mario

Postby Pink Daddy » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:41 pm

Playa Mario wrote:
Pink Daddy wrote:If anyone shows up with a computer, expecting to play some Warcraft at Burning Man, I'm going to take them out to the 12:00 trash fence, drop them off, then give their computer to DPW.

Well that is certainly a douchey thing to do. Let me take your party favors and dump them out by the trash fence.

Since we haven't met and you don't know me, then I should probably let you know that the last thing that I would do to someone... intentionally... would be to negatively impact their Burning Man experience.

But, also, if you think that playing World of Warcraft is a good thing to do at Burning Man, then perhaps we should have a discussion at a future Burning Man event...
Pink Daddy

Postby Fire_Moose » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:56 pm

You cannot have a WoW camp.

Horde cannot live with the vile alliance. you'd need 2 camps.

Kinetic....yer stupid.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby Pink Daddy » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:08 pm

Actually it would be awesome... the camp would be divided right down the middle. And, in the center, a PvP arena. You can go in with whiffle bats and beat the shit out of each other. Or take some tennis balls and 'cast spells' at people.

It could actually be a bunch of fun, heckling across the camp line and such.

"Don't go to that side, the Horde has crappy gifts."

"Don't listen to the alliance, they do nasty things with their 'little people'."

etc etc etc
Pink Daddy

Postby K-mom » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:44 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:We do it one way at Burning Man: We bend over and shit it out.

Burning Man : Running down your leg and into your shoe since 1986!
You call it malt liquor, I call it breakfast.
K-mom

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:49 pm

K-mom wrote:
Ugly Dougly wrote:We do it one way at Burning Man: We bend over and shit it out.

Burning Man : Running down your leg and into your shoe since 1986!

Ha! Not my shoe!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Next

Return to 2011 Theme Camps