Green Tortoise Camp

Green Tortoise Camp

Postby skykate777 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:59 pm

Hi there! I'm SkyKate from New York, BM virgin ;-)

I JUST found out that I'm going to BM! I'm panicking of course because preparation is just so overwhelming(especially when you've never even thought that going to BM on your own is doable!), but I gotta say thanks to Green Tortoise Bus company because that's how my attendace is possible.

Is there anybody else who's traveling to playa on GT bus this year? Let's meet each other right here, right now ;-)

Those who traveled with GT past years - please, speak up as well! I personally have SO MANY questions regarding specifics of traveling on GT bus and would appreciate your help.

Blue Skies, ppl!!
skykate777

Green Tortoise Camp

Postby Johnkun » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:10 am

Howdy SkyKate

Looks like we have a few common denominators. I'm originally from NYC, and will be joining the Green Tortoise trip. It's my first time at BM too.

I've taken GT on another trip and had a blast so I'm looking forward to an amazing experience.

I hear you on all the prep, it's certainly daunting. How's your progress coming?

Thanks for reaching out!

Saludos

Johnkun
Johnkun

Postby Reebsicle » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:24 pm

I've never done a GT trip, but I've stayed at the SF hostel a few times, and all I can say is--- AWESOME! They are SO helpful and nice. A wonderful way to do Burning Man if you're on your own! I would wish you an amazing first year, but I don't need to wish because it will come true, hands down!
I'm really awesome, and that's all you need to know.
Reebsicle

Postby skykate777 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:24 pm

Hey Johnkun, nice to hear that you're coming along!

I'm leaving for San Francisco tomorrow but guess what - I'm not even packed. At all. Just realizing that nothing's gonna fit!! (Remember, we can only bring two bags?) But I guess it's a pretty common frustration. Makes you want to book an RV for the next year =) But it looks like no musical instruments for me in 2010 ;( Well, except my tiny triangle and a lollipop drum, how can I go without them ;-)

Reebsicle, thanks!!! As a matter of fact Im staying in the Green Tortoise before and after the trip and I'm oh so-o excited! Looks like everybody likes GT hostel and that means something special awaits me! Are you going this year to BM?

Just a reminder to all fellow GT travelers - don't forget to send the release form back and call and confirm that you're coming 2 days prior to your departure day. See ya ALL there!!! =^_^=
skykate777

Postby Reebsicle » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:16 pm

Yes, I'll be there! Can't wait!!!!
I'm really awesome, and that's all you need to know.
Reebsicle

Postby David M » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:06 pm

<edited>

Enjoy yourselves at the burn, obvious green tortoise employees.
David M

Burning Since: 2009

Also going on green tortoise

Postby CURIOUSER » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:01 am

Hey guys,
Its also my first burn and I'm also going on green tortoise! Apparently there's a party on monday at the hostel? Anyways I'm here in san fran and would be happy to meet up beforehand with anybody. Still have to buy some gear and costume bits, if you want to come along...
PM me :)
CURIOUSER

Postby Krallistic » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:17 pm

Hi to all

i am going this also with Green Tortoise to BM this year and its will be my first time. I am right now in San Francisco but not in the Green Tortoise Hostel :(

I cant wait to get Started. See you all there...
Krallistic

yup

Postby gunsmith » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:21 am

I lived on bway in SF, near the GT hostel, tons of cute gals there.
Where is the GT camp at?
I may not be here now but I was there then
gunsmith

Postby Machina » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:05 pm

I went with Green Tortoise this year and had a blast... I think it was a good option for someone like myself whose friends aren't into Burning Man, who lives far away, and who has limited vacation days. Camp location was great, food was awesome, camp-mates were largely friendly. No major complaints, and I'll probably go with them again next year. Only downside is NO SHOWERS, and that I couldn't bring fuel with me on the bus (for poi). Minor stuff though given the amazing time had.
Machina

Burning Since: 2010

Postby yellowpants » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:11 pm

Glad to see everyone had a good customer experience...
yellowpants

Postby sambojones » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:15 am

yellowpants wrote:Glad to see everyone had a good customer experience...

+1 :twisted:
sambojones

Postby Homiesinheaven » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:01 am

what was up with that tour bus that pulled up where all the GT buses were parked that were full of tourists? not spectator burners but ACTUAL senior tourists with cameras around their necks that looked like they just came from Florida and stopped by a cookie cutter costume shop along the way. it was so jarring and weird to see them file out.
Homiesinheaven

Burning Since: 2008

Postby Machina » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:19 pm

I remember that! Someone told me that somehow these people had negotiated $35 DAY tickets with Burning Man LLC... just for the night of the burn... they arrived the day of the burn, early afternoon, I think? And then left around midnight after the burn... not sure if they were with a specific carrier, or?

Is there some kind of generalized dislike towards Green Tortoise, and if so, why? I am curious...
Machina

Postby punapeter » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:31 am

[quote="Machina"]I remember that! Someone told me that somehow these people had negotiated $35 DAY tickets with Burning Man LLC... just for the night of the burn... they arrived the day of the burn, early afternoon, I think? And then left around midnight after the burn... not sure if they were with a specific carrier, or?

Is there some kind of generalized dislike towards Green Tortoise, and if so, why? I am curious...[/quote]

Well actually these were Rotarians, invited by BM to see for themselves that BM wasn't just a bunch of drugged out naked hippies. Some judges, local politicians maybe even an ex stripper. Rotarian's don't discriminate they do community service.
I heard they did a BBQ, I missed them I was too busy on the playa.

un hum, "Radical inclusion"? Maybe one of them was a? Brett Weston or
Ansel Adams, would you know? yea they're dead would recognize them? Maybe they're old rocks stars, have you seen John Mayall lately? Or any musician from the 60's? lol if they're still alive.

Don't judge a book by it's cover. You won't get the story.
punapeter

Postby Machina » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:02 am

If you re-read what I wrote, I was just reiterating what I heard from someone else about these folks, and mentioning that I "wasn't sure" (because I'm not - since I didn't hear anything from THOSE PEOPLE, THEMSELVES). I didn't actually say anything that would indicate I was passing judgment on them, and now you're jumping all over me about judging people?

Okay.
Machina

Postby punapeter » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:29 am

relax, no one is judging you, just passing along information
you thin skinned?
punapeter

Return to 2010 Theme Camps