Roots Society and Opulent Temple Pissed About Placement?

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:44 pm

"throwing minor hissy fits" sounds like slander to me. Maybe one should not start throwing stones if one does not want to be in a rock fight.

Simon doesn't owe you anything, least of all answers. If you want something from him, you might consider why he should bother with you, except as entertainment for himself and us, which he is doing nicely.

In response to your postulate, it is interesting but I do not think it is true. Camps splinter naturally, without external causes like placement. There is a sort of Brownian type movement of folks, with formations and break-ups happening every 3-5 years. I would expect that has more to do with it than anything else (if it is true - maybe they are just changing their name).
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Postby geekster » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:59 pm

sounds like wedding bells

Or a new baby coming.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby curiousgnate » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:11 pm

or a baby, will find out in three weeks. woo hoooo . whatever it is!
Creating Peace Through Anarchy Every Day!!! Stagger for life!
curiousgnate

Postby thisisthatwhichis » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:23 pm

slvrnmph wrote:
Dr Jet Sinister wrote:The OP made an assumption that OT and RS were "throwing minor hissy fits over not getting prime placement this year."

Simon tells him that's not what's happening.

OP throws a hissy fit because Simon doesn't layout *exactly* why RS says it's their final year.

How about, "It's none of your fucking business."

Seriously. Cry moar.

Yes I made an assumption. Let's have god strike me down with lightening right now.

I think I've stated how I feel about Simon of the Playa's response enough. If defending myself and requesting ACTUAL INFORMATION is being a cry baby then label away.

Geez slvrnmph, you did such a great service with your 2010 theme camp map layout....... I don't get the "drama"....

Leave it to those that are involved, and leave it the F*ck alone...... Shit I seriously hope yur not a drama queen...... It does'nt go well with what you've already gifted.....

Oh, and SIMON ROCKS!, btw...... Nuff said..... Drink the kool-aid....
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon
thisisthatwhichis

Postby motskyroonmatick » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:58 pm

Hell Yeah!!!!! Root will be closer to camp.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby Risky » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:03 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:oh, by the way, daft punk is playing the Red Lion in Elko this weekend.

Daft Punk was better last year.
Risky

Postby curiousgnate » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:20 pm

nah ah. they sucked. but led zeplin fucking rocked!
curiousgnate

Postby alt12 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:48 pm

Wow, you guys sure know how to have a flame war....

I don't know about Root Society, but as a local San Franciscan I can tell you that Opulent Temple has had a HUGE chip on its shoulder for a while now. All you have to do is read Syd Gris' whining diatribes on his blog.

He whines on his blog about not getting free tickets, about not getting the love from the org, about not getting treated the same as the other (non music) artists. Read his blog. Its all there. The essence of his complaint is "we are a huge draw for people to come to Burning Man and the bmorg gets all the money and they're not loving us enough."

Boo fucking hoo. Welcome to the fucking world. We all bust our asses out there. There are over 600 registered theme camps (plus countless non-registered camps), all working their asses off to produce something. And guess what, it is the combined contribution and experience that draws people, not one particular sound camp.

Opulent Temple has become totally entitled. They're complaining about not getting treated the same as the other artists but actually what they want is special treatment. You don't own a corner. There are many equally-sized sound camps with equally enjoyed DJs performing there that are placed all along 2:00 and 10:00. Giving them the same location year after year has been a mistake and it has helped foster the sense of entitlement. I'm glad they got shuffled elsewhere personally. I think its good for everyone involved. If you don't like it, don't come back. Another big sound camp will happily fill the void. There were great sound camps on 2:00 and Esplanade well before Opulent Temple...

Thanks for posting this and highlighting this bratty entitlement....
alt12

Burning Since: 2003

Postby curiousgnate » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:59 pm

going to find syd's rants bbs
curiousgnate

Postby curiousgnate » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:06 pm

ok after a quick search couldn't find anything. please post links. i like syd and opulent is great.
until i get some actual proof that he is saying that bm owes opulent anything, I am still gonna fully give him my support. great times have been had at opulent, and djs that might not have ever come to bm have been enjoyed there. so show me the money as in a link or two or three
curiousgnate

Postby Risky » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:15 pm

Risky

Postby alt12 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:29 pm

oh yes and lets not forget this little nugget: http://www.opulenttemple.org/archives/000114.php

or this one: http://www.opulenttemple.org/archives/000011.php
Its a long one but the relevant quote is:

"We had again elevated what a sound camp at BM could be. Despite adding significant and clear value to the event above and beyond most every other theme camp (which makes the members of the BM LLC richer), we continue getting only nominal help (on playa equipment access such as the cranes, trencher, etc. ) We have asked for more modest things, like free or even just discounted tickets, to no avail.."

or even this one: http://www.opulenttemple.org/archives/000151.php which is long post complaining about criticisms against OT....its a lot of whining in which the essence is "everyone is picking on me unfairly."
alt12

Postby geekster » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:40 pm

We had again elevated what a sound camp at BM could be. Despite adding significant and clear value to the event above and beyond most every other theme camp

See, I suppose if one is really into "sound camps" they can see their camp as "adding value" as that is what BM is about for them. People like to think they are "normal" and don't think differently from other people and so it seems natural to them that what they see as valuable will be seen by others as being valuable, too.

To them BM is "about" the "sound camps" so one could naturally assume that their kickass sound camp "adds value to the event". But not everyone might actually share that view.

we continue getting only nominal help (on playa equipment access such as the cranes, trencher, etc. ) We have asked for more modest things, like free or even just discounted tickets, to no avail.."

I find that just plain weird. Why is any camp entitled to org support? Why is any camp entitled to free or discounted tickets. That is just plain weird and while maybe that person wasn't speaking for OP, it presents a picture of ... well, something different that what I think should be presented.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby ibdave » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:20 am

thisisthatwhichis wrote:
slvrnmph wrote:
Dr Jet Sinister wrote:The OP made an assumption that OT and RS were "throwing minor hissy fits over not getting prime placement this year."

Simon tells him that's not what's happening.

OP throws a hissy fit because Simon doesn't layout *exactly* why RS says it's their final year.

How about, "It's none of your fucking business."

Seriously. Cry moar.

Yes I made an assumption. Let's have god strike me down with lightening right now.

I think I've stated how I feel about Simon of the Playa's response enough. If defending myself and requesting ACTUAL INFORMATION is being a cry baby then label away.

Geez slvrnmph, you did such a great service with your 2010 theme camp map layout....... I don't get the "drama"....

Leave it to those that are involved, and leave it the F*ck alone...... Shit I seriously hope yur not a drama queen...... It does'nt go well with what you've already gifted.....

Oh, and SIMON ROCKS!, btw...... Nuff said..... Drink the kool-aid....

town cryer???

Like in the movies "field of dreams" " build it and they will come" :roll: :roll: :roll:
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:32 am

Fuck 'em both. Move their big-ass noise to the outskirts where the weekend ravers can camp out, and let the rest of us burn in peace.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby sambojones » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:53 am

from a quick google and looking at their website, the mazeltov from simon, and they're appearance at ultra it may just be that they're moving on from burning man to the regular party circuit

the owner of the camp after all is a business man it may just be time for a change and to also start making some cash on the "root society brand" and that's not a slam or negative comment in any way because i would do the same thing

this is just 100% speculation tho from 1 google search and about 2 minutes of reading so....
sambojones

Postby Token » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:22 am

Oh shit. Not this diatribe again.

Can we talk about banning kids instead?

Plus, El Circo & Do Labs are decades ahead and infinitely better than RS or OT.

Namaste Motherfuckers o|o
Token

Burning Since: 2001

change

Postby silkkat813 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:27 am

Sort of nice to think of a city that can change the location of its "buildings" every year.

Next year, New York City will move all of its clubs to Brooklyn. Wall Street will be moved next to Central Park. The Empire State Building will stay where it is, but the Chrysler Building will be moved to Harlem. :o

Awesome that Black Rock City can do changes like this!
*taking the long way HOME*
silkkat813

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Postby curiousgnate » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:19 am

ok still a little groggy and the white on black sucks, Syd expecting or wanting more help from the borg is ridiculous. Syd saying that they are driving ticket sales is beyond hysterical, I have been educated about ot and well if you can't do it on your own then don't do it. ill stop by root and ot a few times over the week, but i still love my pink mammoth and that little funk club on the esplanade a whole lot better!
curiousgnate

Postby Fire_Moose » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:29 am

same thumpy crap played at high decibel filled with dancing frats & sparkle ponies. I've only been to either when campmates want to explore them

Ya but there are only a few places where there are a TON of people dancing and i can walk into the middle of the dance floor, light my staff and do a spin for all of them. There is NO better way to start yer night...

I agree with Nate, if anyone goes to burning man for Opulent Temple they are silly and shouldn't be there in the first place.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:17 am

Scanning for said camp's interactive component...
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Homiesinheaven » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:41 am

http://www.opulenttemple.org/archives/000114.php

OT's attitude is like a friend throwing a great bday party and expecting people to pay for the booze. dude, either do it and expect NOTHING in return or please dont do it and whine. there is an attitude of entitlement that completely disregards radical self reliance. huge theme camps should be leaders and an example to the community of how you can make amazing shit happen on your own in life without asking for a handout or special treatment. Syd also has an underlying need for appreciation and love which is cute and understandable but again, your party should not expect anything from anyone! your supporters love you and share in the joy you create and that should be more than enough.
Homiesinheaven

Burning Since: 2008

Postby Token » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:51 am

At least we know where most of the LEOs will be.

I think this is the culmination of their BM legacy. More cops per capita than most US cities.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby alt12 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:08 am

Homiesinheaven wrote:http://www.opulenttemple.org/archives/000114.php

OT's attitude is like a friend throwing a great bday party and expecting people to pay for the booze. dude, either do it and expect NOTHING in return or please dont do it and whine. there is an attitude of entitlement that completely disregards radical self reliance. huge theme camps should be leaders and an example to the community of how you can make amazing shit happen on your own in life without asking for a handout or special treatment. Syd also has an underlying need for appreciation and love which is cute and understandable but again, your party should not expect anything from anyone! your supporters love you and share in the joy you create and that should be more than enough.

amen brother. Ironically, Syd is a trained psychologist and yet seems to lack self-awareness regarding his displays of the quintessential hallmarks of Narcissism: sensitivity to criticism, entitlement, and grandiosity....
alt12

Postby Eric » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:56 am

Token wrote:Plus, El Circo & Do Labs are decades ahead and infinitely better than RS or OT.

El Circo I love! Wonder if they got a corner, and if it will ruin them if they did?
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby alt12 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:30 pm

Token wrote:
|o

Problem is with those two that then you have to deal with the whole douchebag socal burner set.... (no offense to the many non-douchy socal burners, but I'm sure you know what I mean...)
alt12

Postby Boijoy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:33 pm

curiousgnate wrote:ok still a little groggy and the white on black sucks, Syd expecting or wanting more help from the borg is ridiculous. Syd saying that they are driving ticket sales is beyond hysterical, I have been educated about ot and well if you can't do it on your own then don't do it. ill stop by root and ot a few times over the week, but i still love my pink mammoth and that little funk club on the esplanade a whole lot better!

what little funk club??
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby The Chinese » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:38 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:
Eric wrote:Hopefully a camp playing something, oh, I don't know, original will have a shot. Not holding my breath.

Live music, perhaps?

My Goal is to someday Bring Transmorphagon to a Corner over the next few years - Live Music. I would LOVE to see that, even if it wasn't us... One corner for the Thump, one for the live... Electronic Live is OK- Imagine if you landed something like Chemical/Root alongside a RATM kind of thing...I think the place would go CRAZY!!!!!

Chino
The Biggest Distraction... Funk On the Playa, Live uncut Funk, TheBomb, Comin at you from the Transmorphogon, 500 Kilowatts of Pure Funk Power. You Will be groovin'. So when yer sick of the Boomp Boomp of the Burn, come down to the T-Dome and Learn....
The Chinese

Postby alt12 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:33 pm

The Chinese wrote:
Ugly Dougly wrote:
Eric wrote:Hopefully a camp playing something, oh, I don't know, original will have a shot. Not holding my breath.

Live music, perhaps?

My Goal is to someday Bring Transmorphagon to a Corner over the next few years - Live Music. I would LOVE to see that, even if it wasn't us... One corner for the Thump, one for the live... Electronic Live is OK- Imagine if you landed something like Chemical/Root alongside a RATM kind of thing...I think the place would go CRAZY!!!!!

Chino

Problem with live music on the playa is its very expensive to pull off. A full band, with instruments, equipment, PA, etc. isn't easy to get out there (flights, renting van, etc.). And you may get one guy in the group whose really psyched but getting the whole band to agree to it is another thing. In addition, musicians are usually struggling financially. Except for the very popular groups, money is always tight and they're usually going to want to get paid (unless their already on tour and passing through the area, etc.).... The whole operation is just a lot more difficult than flying one DJ with a laptop out here.... Which is why you don't see that many live acts out there.
alt12

Postby dj_john69 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:42 pm

alt12 wrote:
Token wrote:
|o

Problem is with those two that then you have to deal with the whole douchebag socal burner set.... (no offense to the many non-douchy socal burners, but I'm sure you know what I mean...)

Well said.
Fuck you, fuck you...you're cool, fuck you !!
dj_john69

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Root Society & Apex

PreviousNext

Return to 2010 Theme Camps