Volunteering for a theme camp

Volunteering for a theme camp

Postby DubYuni420 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:08 pm

Im a first time burner from Auburn California. Im looking for a theme camp to be able to vounteer at and chill at. Im not going with anyone I know so I just need a place to stay at.
Listen To DubStep
DubYuni420

Postby geekster » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:26 pm

You don't need to be a member of a theme camp to chill at one. Or to volunteer to help for that matter.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby geospyder » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:59 pm

geekster wrote:You don't need to be a member of a theme camp to chill at one. Or to volunteer to help for that matter.

Which brings up a question. Last year was my virgin year and I spent a lot of time out on the Playa and not so much in the camps. This year I'd like to spend some time visiting the various camps. Say I want to take advantage of some shade and a place to take a load off my feet. I presume you don't just walk in and make yourself at home :D What is the protocol when visiting a camp you are not known at?
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.
geospyder

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Eric » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:54 pm

geospyder wrote:What is the protocol when visiting a camp you are not known at?

Think of it as a small town with lots of neighbors sitting on porches talking. Do you just walk up & grab a beer & a chair, or do you wave, say "hi" wander over & join in the conversation? Think of the camps off the Esplanade (that aren't bars) as your neighbors porch. Friendliness is good, presumption... not so much.

Treat the bars as a corner watering hole in a town you're new to. Again, don't presume. Its amazing what a nice word will get you.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby geekster » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:02 pm

If it is a theme camp then there is generally an open area for interaction by the general public. A lot depends on when you get there. If you get there as early as possible, some camps are probably still going to be setting up and could possibly use a hand.

Easiest thing to do is get the Who What Where (also called the WTF because it is sometimes wrong) and look at which camps are hosting an event that you might be interested in participating in. Then just go on over. No "protocol" required.

In our camp, if the lights are on in our main hospitality area, the public is welcome inside. If the sign says "closed" then we are closed. That isn't often but we generally close for at least one night and sometimes two for a pub crawl or to watch camp mates who might be engaging in some performance or other activity at another camp or something.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby alt12 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:57 pm

geospyder wrote:This year I'd like to spend some time visiting the various camps. Say I want to take advantage of some shade and a place to take a load off my feet. I presume you don't just walk in and make yourself at home :D What is the protocol when visiting a camp you are not known at?

It all depends on the camp....They are all different. I recommend to start with trying to get to know your neighbors....Visit all the camps on your block and say hi...People are generally very welcoming and inviting, especially if you are neighbors....they'll probably offer you something to drink or eat...If you have something to offer them, its always extra appreciated...
alt12

Burning Since: 2003

Return to 2010 Theme Camps