3 newbies wanting to join a fun theme camp!

3 newbies wanting to join a fun theme camp!

Postby sadie bloom » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:15 pm

We are two cool folks from the praries and one from PEI. We are all first time burners and we want to join a fun, creative inspiring theme camp! Who wants us?
sadie bloom

Postby Token » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:32 pm

Why?

What do you have to offer to a theme camp?

How many 6 hour shifts are you willing to work each day?

What are you willing to pay in dues?

How are you going to take care of yourself and not perish?
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:37 pm

Only if the one from PEI has long red pigtails, brings raspberry cordial and recites poetry the whole time - all the while referring to me as her bosom friend.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby geekster » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:38 pm

I am going to try to put this in the perspective of what I thought BM was about before I actually went but after I learned that it was NOT an annual protest event by militant feminists.

You don't have to "join a camp" and most of the people out there are not members of an official "theme camp".

Have you ever been camping? That is what Burning Man is. It is just a little harsher environment than most have camped in, is all. It is just camping. Bring food, water, LIP BALM, sun screen, and be prepared for rain, sun, heat and cold, bring only 1-ply toilet paper, and never accept a hot dog from a person with a blue arm.

That's it. Just show up. Now here's the neat thing ... there is nothing preventing you from setting up camp someplace, befriending some folks in a camp, and moving over to their area if they invite you to. So don't worry about being "part of" a camp before you get there. You don't need to. Come on out!
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby Savannah » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:19 pm

Only if the one from PEI has long red pigtails, brings raspberry cordial and recites poetry the whole time - all the while referring to me as her bosom friend.

Oo, I see what you did there. :D

ETA: Oh, hey Sadie. If you take geekster's good advice, there is absolutely nothing to stop you from experiencing all the cool theme camps in town while you're at the burn. Their respective interactive elements with the 50,000 people at the burn is what makes them theme camps. You don't need to live in a theme camp to visit and participate. In fact, you'll probably work harder if you're in one than if you're not.

If you really want to join one and work your butt off for whatever amenities they provide, try looking under "2010 Theme Camps" from the ePlaya Forum Index. Some group somewhere might still be looking. Don't take it personally if the doors are closed this late in the game. Many stopped registration a month or two ago. See it as a personal challenge, which the playa most certainly is.

And read the survival guide if you haven't.
http://www.burningman.com/preparation/event_survival/

Best of luck.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby MaitreMaximillian » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:17 am

Sadie,

Here's a page from our camp's web site that might give you some perspective as a newbie. Of course, this is only MY thoughts on the subject.

http://www.pleasuresofthefleshuniversit ... g-man.html

Some cool camps still have openings. Just make sure that when you contact one of them that you start out by letting them know what YOU can contribute to the camp. If you do that, you should be able to hook up with a fun group.

Max
MaitreMaximillian

Return to 2010 Theme Camps