biking to the burn/early arrival

Postby gyre » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:45 pm

I think massive denial is an essential part of riding on two wheels in traffic.
gyre

Postby oneeyeddick » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:00 pm

Kinetic V wrote:
I'll close this post with a thought. Most of 447 is marked as Open Range. Replace the cyclist with a big old cow. She's cold. 447's pavement is warm. Guess where she's going to go to feel good? She doesn't care if you're pulling the Taj Mahal of trailers or anything else. If you travel 447 you need to be prepared to top a grade and be ready to deal with her should she decide that her hot spot is right over the crest of the hill. And if you hit her...that will be $500 minimum. And cattlemen take the loss of even one cow very seriously. So if you drive 447 you have a duty...yes a duty to drive it safely. If you can't do that then it's time to surrender your license.

Love the big wordy analogy comparing a dead cow to a dead biker.
nice job, K, now I see the truth .

Where do all the dead rabbits fit into this equation?
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby AntiM » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:49 am

I want to apologize to the eplayans. I overstepped my role as moderator. epic had posted some personal attacks, which are "unwelcome" according to the Community Guidelines. I forgot the "words cannot be edited or deleted" part of the guidelines, and after a discussion with two other mods, the posts were pulled. I should have let them stand. Unfortunately, I cannot restore them, if he desires to put them up again, he will have to do so from memory. I also asked OED to modify his signature video. I do apologize, feel free to put it back up.

The thread is open.

The level of civility is up to you.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:21 am

nah, I am kinda diggin' the clowns.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:27 am

The clowns arnt quite as scary as flying bike guy.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Fire_Moose » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:37 am

"You can thank every cyclist you see for offsetting your carbon emissions and saving the gas that your RV/truck is burning at a rate of 5 miles per gallon. "

Just so you know, I cancel you out by running my car's AC for extended periods of time during the hot AZ summer.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby Lassen Forge » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:50 am

I was one of the attacked, AntiM. I was, as they say, offended. And it IS within the rights of a moderator to delete offensive posts, etc.

The TOS:

Section 6:
"Additionally, you hereby grant Burning Man a world-wide, irrevocable license to use, distribute, reproduce, modify, adapt, publicly perform and publicly display content you submit or make available for inclusion on the Service solely for the purposes of providing the Content submitted on the Service."

7a: You understand and agree that Burning Man may review and delete any content, messages, photos or profiles (collectively, "Content") that in the sole judgment of Burning Man violate this Agreement or which might be offensive, illegal, or that might violate the rights, harm, or threaten the safety of Members.

7e: The following is a partial list of the kind of Content that is illegal or prohibited on the Eplaya. Burning Man reserves the right to investigate and take appropriate legal action in its sole discretion against anyone who violates this provision, including without limitation, removing the offending post from the Service and terminating the membership of such violators, in connection with all available civil, criminal, and injunctive remedies. You agree not to use the Service to:

(1) post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any Content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortious, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;

I could also draw attention to sections 13, 15, and 17.

AntiM was well within her rights to do what she did, and she needed not apologize. These are not guidelines, these are the TOS everyone agrees to. As a moderator, AmtiM (and the rest of the mod team) are Burning Man. Guidelines are guidelines, the TOS is the contract running the show explaning the users rights. Personally I think that she's being awfuly nice... I would not be so. Nor have I in the past when such things happened.

Have a nice day.
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby AntiM » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:08 pm

The board was never actively moderated in the past. The TOS and the guidelines are at odds. I will bring this to the attention of The Powers That Be, but I think there will be little long-term response. The TOS does take precedence over the Guidelines. I'll work on resolving this at a higher level so the mods can then make better decisions.

As for how we as mods handle the personal attacks, I think it may be easier to let them stand and allow the community to correct the abuser. Easier than listening to the whining when an attacker gets spanked and then tries to sink other posters in retaliation.

For the record, I'm digging the clowns more than the flying biker. Thank you OED for making the change when I asked.

Anyway, back on the topic of bikes, as this is being discussed elsewhere. Look in Politics and Philosophy for the thread dedicated to me.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

if every offensive post was deleted

Postby epic » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:06 pm

If every post that someone might consider offensive was deleted from eplaya, that would remove 90% of all the inciting posts if enforced fairly and without bias. Since you all live in glass houses, stop throwing stones. If you can't safely drive, park and walk.
People follow the predictable pattern of 1. bait someone with an insulting post, 2. complain when they take the bait and respond in kind, 3. act indignant and offended and demand that the response that you caused be deleted.
Almost no one would have the courage to talk to each other face to face the way then post on the net.
That about sums up many internet message boards.
epic

Oh, here we go with the classic us/them argument.

Postby epic » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:18 pm

Oh, here we go with the classic us/them argument.

As if you were completely off the fucking fossil fuel grid - you smarmy, sanctimonious little hypocrite.

Great garbage from a pathetc loser who never gets up from behind the computer, let alone ever rides a bike off playa. Did you see the South Park world of warcraft episode with the highest level player on Earth who's morbidly obese and never leaves his chair? That's you. Us are the people saving fuel.
epic

Postby ygmir » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:22 pm

isn't the horse dead?.............

jeeze, next, Karl will be finding you in the bottom of the pool
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby AntiM » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:37 pm

ygmir wrote:isn't the horse dead?.............

No, he wasn't sleeping in the middle of 447.

Moderator Note: BTW, just because I'm not deleting posts doesn't mean the TOS and Guidelines no longer exist. Just that I'm leaving everything up for everyone to read in line with the self-moderating nature of the eplaya. You all are still are responsible for your choice of communication, for not engaging in attacks, your level of civility, and for choosing your role in the eplaya community.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby Isotopia » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:15 pm

Great garbage from a pathetc loser who never gets up from behind the computer, let alone ever rides a bike off playa. Did you see the South Park world of warcraft episode with the highest level player on Earth who's morbidly obese and never leaves his chair? That's you. Us are the people saving fuel.

Someone - anyone - please pass me a tear bucket.

I am... overcome. So very ferklempt.

BTW, Acerbic retort score: 2.47 (out of 10)
Isotopia

Postby gyre » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:29 pm

I thought it was verklempt, or verklemmt?
gyre

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:36 pm

oneeyeddick

Postby AntiM » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:42 pm

Oh my. That's the second time this week Iso has made me cry. No kidding.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:56 am

If it helps, I've been sitting on my hands rather than make my snarky retort.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby goathead » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:26 am

I have no problems with dead ponies.

On 447 this morning driving, thinking.
I have taken 2 wild rides off the shoulders over the years missing cows.
been really lucky.

Inspite of the fact that I know I have a better chance of staying alive hitting them.

Wonder what bike rider would feel like knowing that maybe because of their actions, they might have contributed to some one running off the road and possibly dying because they didn't want to hit the rider? Or maybe a motorhome full of people?

This isn't about bike riding in general, this is about keeping everyone safe for our trip home.
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu

It will be some sort of incredible over-worded hippie prattle, attempting to disguise the
Eternal Theme
Burn Shit And Blow Shit Up. Eric
goathead

Postby lemur » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:33 am

theCryptofishist wrote: I've been sitting on my hands

Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby ygmir » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:11 pm

lemur wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote: I've been sitting on my hands

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Lassen Forge » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:19 pm

gyre wrote:I thought it was verklempt, or verklemmt?

At least with Iso you know it's not Verklemming...
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Previous

Return to 2010 Theme Camps