3 young New York Ladies looking for artistic camp

3 young New York Ladies looking for artistic camp

Postby florstephanie » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:42 pm

Hi Im looking for a camp that me and two friends can join. We are all open minded , creative souls.. this would be our first time burning... I do latex body art and I do eye design face painting. would love to find a camp.. please send any suggestions.

[/img]
florstephanie

What we offer

Postby florstephanie » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:55 pm

My name is Stephanie and I offer cooking,cleaning, I face paint beautifully on the face and arms. I also do hair-wraps with jewels.

My friend Linda and Melissa are both hair braiders, trainers if you want to work out while your there and offer henna tatoos.

Us three believe in the power of self, we practice meditating, yoga,and are three beautiful open minded , self loving, peace and world visionaries who are live a good honest life of creating our dreams a reality..

hope we find a good match within some camps that are not only artist but self believers

our favorite books are think and grow rich, art of war, a the 40 laws of power...
florstephanie

Postby joel the ornery » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:04 pm

have no expectations.
joel the ornery

Location: i'm the snarky one in your worst fucking nightmares
Burning Since: 1998

Postby bluesbob » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:06 pm

Set up your own camp, make a big sign offering face-painting, henna tattoos, and braiding. And then sit back and have a blast. If you want to hit the playa and walk around, dance, whatever...take down the sign. I really think the party will come to your camp.

I will.
bluesbob

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV

Re: 3 young New York Ladies looking for artistic camp

Postby EmilyD » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:17 pm

florstephanie wrote:Hi Im looking for a camp that me and two friends can join. We are all open minded , creative souls.. this would be our first time burning... I do latex body art and I do eye design face painting. would love to find a camp.. please send any suggestions.

[/img]

Welcome florstephanie!

I'm also a burgin but have been working for several months to prepare. You'll find this community (ePlaya) very helpful in advising you as you get ready. Make sure to read the First Timer's and Survival Guides. Here is a list of the Theme Camps, you may find one that feels right for you and your friends: http://www.burningman.com/themecamps/
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!
EmilyD

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Postby florstephanie » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:17 pm

Thanks.. since Im a first timer coming in from NY im just freaking out about setting up a tent and the wind everyone talks about.. I rather have a nice tent and since I wont be driiving in I rather have alot of the important things already there..
florstephanie

Postby Elorrum » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:57 pm

florstephanie wrote:Thanks.. since Im a first timer coming in from NY im just freaking out about setting up a tent and the wind everyone talks about.. I rather have a nice tent and since I wont be driiving in I rather have alot of the important things already there..

oh dear. low percentage shot that. to have somebody have your tent and "alot of the important things" already there for you. good luck.
Elorrum

Postby Token » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:57 pm

Hi Stephanie.

Burning Man is not a resort. There are no "important things" that others will provide for you.

That whole "power of self" thing, maybe you should plan on using that and actually provide for yourself. We call it Radical Self Reliance.

Yes, people do form camps to share infrastructure, pool resources or advance some creative agenda. These types of collectives of convenience usually require that each member provides for their own survival.

There are a lot of burners from New York. You won't be the first flying out here.

Contact your regional network, check out the big container that is shipped out and back and start figuring out how to make this happen without being a Sparkle Pony.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby AntiM » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:58 pm

florstephanie wrote:Thanks.. since Im a first timer coming in from NY im just freaking out about setting up a tent and the wind everyone talks about.. I rather have a nice tent and since I wont be driiving in I rather have alot of the important things already there..

I'd rather have piles of money, but there's little chance of that happening either.

If you like creating, then create your experience. Your words are pretty, but as Token said, Radical Self Reliance is on the table too. Quit freaking out and start pricing tents. Reno sells an abundance of them. You can do this, and others would be far more willing to help if you weren't giving off the helpless damsel vibe.

Welcome, let's hope you can figure how this works. Have you read the survival guide? Ten Principles?

What is your vision of the event in concrete terms? No manifesting here, just plainly, what do you think your reality will resemble there?
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Token » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:19 pm

You might want to start by going on a camping trip with your friends upstate for a weekend.

Find a state park, gather some of the gear spelled out in the survival guide, pack a cooler or two with food and drink and head out.

This would go a long way towards your goals of attending BM.
Token

Postby MaitreMaximillian » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:44 pm

The above comments are all excellent sources of information, but I have to add my two cents :-) ...

You want to practice your art at Burning Man, but there is one element of your art that you are forgetting - your CAMP. Your camp is not just a gallery for your art, something to have someone have layed out for you when you arrive. Your camp itself IS one of your works of art, whether it be elaborate or just a simple demonstration of your creative design for a week of survival. Would you want others to create your art FOR you, so that you were simply standing next to someone else's creation? Of course not. So let your radically creative design for how to survive against the odds be one of your expressions of art. Whether you join another camp or create one of your own, make sure that the camp is partly YOUR work of art.

I'm looking forward to seeing some of your handiwork on the playa! :-)
MaitreMaximillian

Postby AntiM » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:45 pm

Ooh, good post.
AntiM

Postby florstephanie » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:26 pm

Thank You for all of your feedback.. I will make some good use out of it.. I shouldve read more closely the process as I was under the impression I could just pay a camp to provide the important things like water and shelter, and I could just volunteer and become part of a camp by helping in anyway I could.

My apologies if I offended anyone, not my intentions
florstephanie

Postby falcon451 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:47 pm

florstephanie - come on out and have a good time. Although you do need to be well prepared, please ignore the elitist, "I'm Hip And Your'e Not" tone of Token and AntiM. Scrape them off the bottom of your shoe. You will find plenty of that at BM, among those that have forgotten that we all once came for the first time, but they are the decided minority.
falcon451

Postby AntiM » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:58 am

@ Mr. Falcon, I'm not hip, I'm jaded.

Steph, you haven't offended me at all, but I worry you're under wrong impressions. This could make your burn suck, and I don't want anyone to have a sucky burn.

Steph, there are camps you can pay dues to join, but they expect hard work in return for the most part. Volunteering is good, and you seem to have skills, but it isn't always that simple. These camps start recruiting in advance, many were full months ago. Have you tired looking up the camps from last year which interest you and making contact? That's on the main site, and entire list of every theme camp with a contact email! See what's posted here in this forum for this year? Camps rarely come looking for members, you need to go looking for them. Finding spots for three newbs might not be simple, but you can certainly try more effectively than a thread on eplaya.

If everyone just paid dues to join a big camp, there would be no funky little camps on the back streets which are interesting and cool. I camp in a village, Hushville, comprised solely of little camps banded together. Provides nothing but a great set of neighbors. You can do this, you will not be alone. You're going to join thousands of your newest best friends!

Keep working on your plans, read some more, share your idea of how to get this done. You may find a camp after all, but you will need to have a plan in case the camp falls through. Seriously, you might give your money to a camp, show up, and there's nothing where the camp should be because they all flaked out or their truck blew up ... what would you do then?

My first year, I came with my boy scout hubby. Yes, we drove in from Utah. We were extremely prepared as hubby is an obsessive boy scout hillbilly with boundless energy. We just jumped in, didn't occur to us there were even camps with dues! I knew no burners, never went on eplaya, and never heard of the event outside the main site. Had a blast.

So work on a couple plans, and see what you can find. Welcome Home.
AntiM

Postby Token » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:47 am

Falcon, you are such a diamond in the rough! I like you.

Stephanie, we are trying to help you. You have enough time to prepare and make the trek out. BM has a lot to do with bringing people out of their comfort zone to tackle new challanges and through that effort grow. It is a wonderfull enriching experience.

If you give more details on how you plan on getting there, we can guide you with specific suggestions to mmake your journy more pleasurable.

We know the following:

Three travelers.
Flying in.
Artistic types.

We would like to know:

Are you renting a car and driving in.
Are you looking to catch a ride into BM.

If we know a bit more we can be more specific.

If you really want some more infrastructure for your trip, check out Green Tortoise and their package deal from San Francisco.

http://www.greentortoise.com/adventures ... tival.html
Token

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:50 am

The best thing you can do to make yourself welcome on the playa is to be radically self-reliant. From that point forward, it's all gravy. :)
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby bluesbob » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:22 pm

MaitreMaximillian wrote:The above comments are all excellent sources of information, but I have to add my two cents :-) ...

You want to practice your art at Burning Man, but there is one element of your art that you are forgetting - your CAMP. Your camp is not just a gallery for your art, something to have someone have layed out for you when you arrive. Your camp itself IS one of your works of art, whether it be elaborate or just a simple demonstration of your creative design for a week of survival. Would you want others to create your art FOR you, so that you were simply standing next to someone else's creation? Of course not. So let your radically creative design for how to survive against the odds be one of your expressions of art. Whether you join another camp or create one of your own, make sure that the camp is partly YOUR work of art.

I'm looking forward to seeing some of your handiwork on the playa! :-)

I like this post...thanks. Something I should always keep in mind.

P.S. I like having Anti-M & Token on the bottom of my shoe
bluesbob

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV

Postby gyre » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:22 pm

There are a few camps that provide tent space and full meal service.
Last I heard, they start at $500.
I think they provide more elaborate lodging at higher cost.

There are also camps that prepare a full camp and you just have to show up.
Some have costumes, a pseudo theme camp, art car, etc.
Not inexpensive.
gyre

Postby florstephanie » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:55 pm

Thanks Guys. You all rock... tons of kissed and hugs.. all your post have really helped. I cant wait to hopefully meet you fellow burners and share in a dance or face paint...

Our Regionals are having an event tomorrow night in NYC right around the block from where I live ( how lucky Iam I ) and Im sure Ill get all my questions answered from fellow burners traveling from NYC... new and old

All your post really helped and cant wait to discover the true meaning of burning man with an open mind
florstephanie

Postby falcon451 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:32 pm

My only criticism was of the tone and name-calling, not the advice and warnings, which were all admittedly valid. The tone, friendliness, and helpfulness has improved considerably, thank-you. It was just that to hear this obviously sincere, earnest and delightful woman be derogated as a Sparkle Pony and a Helpless Damsel within the first few hours and first few responses to her sincere and legitimate inquiry was a little much for me. Really don't think that's what we're all about.

But, florestephanie, all the advice is good. I'll add one more bit - if you don't find a camp to join, and end up creating your own, its fun to be as close to the Esplanade as possible, but you have to get there pretty early for that. Wherever you land, let us know! Either on eplaya if you know in advance, or later by wi-fi on the playa (avail last year), or by the bulletin boards at Center Camp.
falcon451

Postby AntiM » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:17 am

Hey, I was getting the helpless damsel vibe from the first posts, now I'm not. I said so. Being blunt is not being unfriendly. I'm just blunt. She's an adult and can choose to ignore the remarks or think about why they were made, or oh, maybe not read too much into them. It is the internet after all, participants get to choose their responses. I chose to be annoyed by your "I know what a true burner is like and it isn't them" tone.

I will however, review my own advice:

http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=29622&highlight=socks+excess+snark

"What we're all about?" Hey, speak for yourself. The eplaya is comprised of all types of individuals, just as Burning Man is comprised of all types. Called Radical Inclusion.

But enough with judgement and highjacking Steph's thread.

Being near the Esplanade isn't always a good choice for everyone. There's more noise ands foot traffic; which means less down time if you want it. Being close to the "action" may mean you never venture back to the back rings where some of the truly wonderful funky stuff happens. Very much a personal choice.

The regional sounds exciting, you'll have to tell us how it goes.
AntiM

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:08 am

Nor is the desert kind to the unprepared.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Savannah » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:27 am

florstephanie, I actually suggest you do not camp close to the Esplanade (the open area in the middle of the city) as a first timer. As Anti-M says, it's indeed busy & high traffic. It's also very easy to accidentally camp in a theme camp area by mistake (you're given a map at the Gate that will help you avoid this, & there are tiny flags that mark theme camp areas, but they can be missed due to darkness/theme camp members being asleep or not taking additional steps to mark their territory). There's no thrill quite like being asked to move your already-staked tent.
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby joel the ornery » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:17 pm

pack extra earplugs, toilet paper and wet wipes.

these can always be used as gifts.
joel the ornery

Location: i'm the snarky one in your worst fucking nightmares
Burning Since: 1998

Postby Token » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:03 pm

joel the ornery wrote:pack extra earplugs, toilet paper and wet wipes.

these can always be used as gifts.

It's been a while since I wiped someone elses ass. I hear it's like riding a bike; once you learn you never forget.

Beware the blue splash.
Token

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:34 pm

I know what you're thinking. Look! It's the Man! And nobody is camping close to it! Plenty of space out here to set up. Why not right next to this burnable effigy? What fun we'll have! ;)
Ugly Dougly

Postby falcon451 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:55 am

Good counterpoints on the desirability of camping close to the Esplanade. I do like being close to the action, and once I'm snoozin, I'm a sound sleeper. I mainly like being able to make a quick walk to observe the activity, sunrise, sunset, etc., in addition to having the ability to more slowly explore all the other possibilities that BRC offers. And I'm no doubt guilty of assuming that you adventurous denizens of the Big Apple might like to be nearest the activity!
falcon451

Postby AntiM » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:27 am

We camp in Hushville, so you can see my preference for quiet, LOL. Hushville is about halfway in, so while I can't walk far anymore, I can stroll far enough to get onto open playa for sunrise. Magical moment.
AntiM

Theme camp

Postby zifra » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:17 am

The Lazy Lizard Lemonade Lounge is still accepting campmates.

Read my other posts for more info, and let me know if you wish to speak more.

Zifra
Zifra

Cannot wait top get home!

"Feel it, Live it, Share it!"
zifra

Next

Return to 2010 Theme Camps