What to Bring to Burning Man Page

Postby trystanthegypsy » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:28 pm

Man, I got a bunch of spring clamps for cheap at a place called Princess Auto, which is kind of like Liquidation world, and they all broke. I was very upset. Where did you get your good ones? oh harbor freight. That store we don't have in Canada.

*wanders off muttering and twitching*
trystanthegypsy

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:47 am

I've bought them at American Science and Surplus, I don't know if they ship to Canada.
Go to a hardware store and ask. They are not unobtanium. You can even get plastic ones in bright colors. They may have a different name. I'd suggest clothing pins, but I don't think they have enough bite for heavier duty aps.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

What to bring

Postby lennyjones » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:02 pm

Great tips guys Thanks!

Feather'd mask has been replaced
with a bunny mask.

clamps added
toilet paper replaced seat covers

No the site is not flash..
all browsers should work.

Despite the hype, bacon is still bad for you, sorry.

I like the glow stick debate, but
I'm keeping them on the don't list
since there are reusable alternatives..

Lenny
lennyjones

glowstick alternatives

Postby igor47 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:33 pm

glowsticks are NOT recyclable, and they're filled with nasty chemicals like phenol.

if you go to a lot of festivals, or even just come to BM every year, it make sense to invest in reusable (rechargeable-)battery powered lights for to decorate yourself with. to make myself look pretty at night, i really like el wire. i sew it all around my camelback so i can spot it if i put it down at night and people can see me walking around.

if you want a glowstick-type thing, i haven't found anything better than the flowlights from flowtoys. i have them in a 5-foot staff that you'll see me spinning around, but they're pretty great on their own just hanging off your clothing. they last forever (about a night and a half) on a single rechargable AAA and they're really sturdy.

all of my lighting products are powered by AAAs -- headlamp, flowtoys, el wire transformers. then i bring a charger with me and recharge all my batteries ever morning from the 12-volt in our camp.
igor47

Postby Clar-i-ty » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:35 pm

Hmmm...well, I've used glow sticks in the past, but I guess I could get some blinkies at the dollar store (sigh).
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!
Clar-i-ty

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Postby Clar-i-ty » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:43 pm

Hmmm...well, I've used glow sticks in the past, but I guess I could get some blinkies at the dollar store (sigh).
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!
Clar-i-ty

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:01 pm

I think that the dollar store blinkies are more likely to be duds, or shoddy or whatever. Buy extra, I guess, so you have enough back up.
Me, I went for party rats, but then I'm so much a night blogger...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Elorrum » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:20 pm

right on fishy, American Science and Surplus is a good site for all sorts of things. tools, toys, parts, sometimes the quality is quite good, frequently the low low price indicates dollar store type of product. They describe brands as truthfully as they can, much is take out, or close-out. Their product descriptions are fun reading, sometimes I just enjoy reading them. (want some fun? Nels?) I'm waiting for some tornado tubes to arrive. A simple connector for two 2 liter bottles. slap a couple of "throwies" just leds taped to a 3V watch battery on the bottoms, and it is amusing, just turning it over and watching the water swirl from one bottle to another.
I found a baggie with some party rats in it the other day... some still were working. I'd like to find a night guitar player, and see if they want a couple.
Elorrum

Postby Purrjian » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:36 pm

Purrjian

Postby StevenGoodman » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:00 pm

I think you need to add bedding to the must have, i.e. sleeping bag or blankets. Not just "nice to have".

I am not sure a bike is "must have". Also, you don't need rebar, as long as you have some other kind of really good stake. I use military sand stakes.

I was thinking maybe a hammer on the "must have", but I guess you could easily borrow one.

You should have "a playa cup" on the list!

Martini Steve
Playawaste Raiders and Megaton Bar and Grill
StevenGoodman

Previous

Return to 2010 Theme Camps