Vegan camp central!

Vegan camp central!

Postby VeganVamp » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:36 am

Aloha!

I Gabriel, Merry Mockmeat, and Garlique the vegan vampress hereby reach out to all those now gravitated unto us for the purpose of co-creating a delightful, delectable, delicious, delirious, dilemma, delimit, deluxe and delovely experience for all of us at Metropolis!
VeganVamp

Postby Fire_Moose » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:28 am

Bacon night Wednesday 7-ishpm
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby Just_Joe » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:31 am

Fire_Moose wrote:Bacon night Wednesday 7-ishpm

Mmmm. Sounds good.
Blood pressure and cholesterol meds at 8-ish?
and then a nice greasy trip to the porta-loo at 5am?

But then, I'd wouldn't mind trying some vegan deliciousness either.

I haven't eaten mammals or birds in about a year. I'm either going to "cheat with some meat" on the playa or quit milk, eggs and fish altogether.
Let me know where you end up, Gabriel- we could come over some day/evening for a pot-luck. Moose, I might crash your party. If I do, I'll bring beta blockers and statins.
Just_Joe

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: ABC (Alphabet Block Camp)

Postby FaeTora » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:42 am

I'd love too! but I can't have gluten. I haven't eaten meat in about 2 months and before my diagnosis it had been years. I started eating meat again when I got diagnosed with celiacs to balance out my diet while I was learning what I could and couldnt have. Now I don't eat meat but I LOVE cheese (thats why I can't be a vegan) but I don't mind a meal without cheese or eggs. Anyways, Happy eating!
We break to remind us how to mend.
FaeTora

Postby KestrelSF » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:00 pm

weather man wrote:Mmmm. Sounds good.

There is no good evidence you'd need any of those things. (Just a lot of bad science from the 60s that the big agribusiness latch on to to sell you more "low fat, high fibre, hearth healthy" junk that is usually loaded with carbs. Now there IS good evidence of bad health effects from eating wheat and sugars, which are the main cause of diseases of civilization.

But have fun perpetuating myths.
KestrelSF

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Paradise Motel

Postby Just_Joe » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:48 pm

KestrelSF wrote:

There is no good evidence you'd need any of those things.

Certainly! Thank you Dr. Atkins.
Just_Joe

Postby KestrelSF » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:55 pm

weather man wrote:
KestrelSF wrote:

Close, I'm Primal. I used to live on pasta, pasta and more pasta ... about 120 pounds ago. Atkins wasn't as much wrong as he was an ass. Sorta like Richard Stallman.
KestrelSF

Postby Just_Joe » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:19 pm

KestrelSF wrote: I used to live on pasta, pasta and more pasta ... about 120 pounds ago. Atkins wasn't as much wrong as he was an ass. Sorta like Richard Stallman.

Good for you! I dropped 70lbs last year. The no meat thing came in the midst of it- there was no epiphany or anything, I just stopped craving it. I do agree with you and science about wheat/sugar carbs. I just try to do everything in moderation and eat as little processed as possible. Now if only I could fit into my playa dress.....
Just_Joe

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:20 pm

KestrelSF wrote:
weather man wrote:
KestrelSF wrote:

Close, I'm Primal. I used to live on pasta, pasta and more pasta ... about 120 pounds ago. Atkins wasn't as much wrong as he was an ass. Sorta like Richard Stallman.

Primal good. Me like.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby FaeTora » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:32 pm

Didn't Atkins die of a heart attack?
FaeTora

Postby KestrelSF » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:45 pm

FaeTora wrote:Didn't Atkins die of a heart attack?

Yet another vegan myth.

His death certificate states that the cause of death was "blunt impact injury of head with epidural hematoma".

He slipped on ice and hit his head, which lead to his death.
KestrelSF

Postby VeganVamp » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:10 pm

There will be bacon
however fakin'
Try the latest version created out of tempeh
Indonesian specialty viva para siempre
Perhaps I should include it in my benedictus florentine
Or is it sham (as ham) thou would ratherest be in
This very tasty awsome treat
Brought to you by Merry Mockmeat

Now everybody gets along
Because there is no right and wrong
We are at the buffet of choice
Let's sing together as one voice
VeganVamp

Postby VeganVamp » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:13 pm

Is spelt gluten free?
VeganVamp

Postby VeganVamp » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:13 pm

Is spelt gluten free?[/list]
VeganVamp

Postby FaeTora » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:32 pm

No, Spelt contains gluten. I have a Excel spreadsheet with most of the things I can eat if you like. Just know that its designed to help me in the grocery store so it has "ingredient" names (because manufactures listing the actual common names on boxes for things is truly asking too much). Plus its only a general list and things like nuts of any kind, which are listed on my list as safe, should be labeled Gluten-Free or you should contact the manufacture to find out if it is processed in a wheat factory. If it is a person with Celiacs should not eat it.

In the end, I have chosen to cut 90% of all processed foods out of my diet because its overly complicated, I tend to react even to very small amounts, and I know when I go to the store the potatoes I pick up in the vegetable aisle are safe (though read the back of frozen veggies because some of them contain gluten, especially the steam-in-the-bag kinds).

Ironically, Buckwheat is safe despite its name but its very tough in texture. Rices are usually safe as well but in the end you have a lot of research to do to find out if it is or is not produced in a wheat factory. Most state side are. There is a type of organic rice (I won't list the name because I don't want to break any rules) but it is family owned, from a substainable farm, and they only produce and package rices in their factories. It takes forever to cook so I do it in large batches and freeze/refrig them to use.

I make a horrible food date.
FaeTora

Postby VeganVamp » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:08 pm

Part of my mission now is to find or make a gluten-free english muffin. I'll check to see if the popular vegan buttery spread is gluten-free. Will organic tapioca starch be OK? I love this newfound creativity for my recipe!

*M.M.
VeganVamp

Postby littleflower » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:14 pm

gluten free english muffins might be difficult ... english muffins are a yeast bread, and yeast works with gluten to make the bubbles in the dough ... without gluten, the dough won't stretch. or so i understand it. but if you find a way, i'd love to hear it!
littleflower

Postby AntiM » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:17 pm

FaeTora, a mod note here... mentioning a brand name doesn't break the commerce rule unless you own the company. Referrals are fine.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby FaeTora » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:32 pm

Tapioco starch is fine. I've never had gluten-free english muffins but I have had gluten-free breads. Some are good, some taste like what I imagine Playa Foot to taste like.

I'm happy I could inspire you. Theres a place here in texas that in totally gluten-free and Vegan. Expensive but good food.

If you want, I'm not a chef but if you tell me what you like to eat there I might be able to drop by your camp and cook you a vegan gluten-free meal.
FaeTora

Postby VeganVamp » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:44 pm

From meat faker to gluten-free baker. One she-man's story on her journey to Metropolis with very special requests upon her creative gifting to fulfill. 8)
VeganVamp

Postby FaeTora » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:46 pm

You really don't have to. BUT if you do make sure you use clean utensils and cookware/bakware that has not come in contact with any other products. My roommate thinks its cute that I labeled the Top self of the Pantry "Gluten-free Only" but if his flour falls on my stuff I can't eat it anymore.
FaeTora

Postby VeganVamp » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:36 pm

I'm still on the lookout for people and a camp with a kitchen to participate with... ;-)
VeganVamp

Postby FaeTora » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:38 pm

Wish I could help but I'm not cooking on the Playa. It gets complicated when your eating with meat eaters who love gluten and you don't eat either.
FaeTora

Postby bm_cricket » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:14 pm

FaeTora wrote:You really don't have to. BUT if you do make sure you use clean utensils and cookware/bakware that has not come in contact with any other products. My roommate thinks its cute that I labeled the Top self of the Pantry "Gluten-free Only" but if his flour falls on my stuff I can't eat it anymore.

I've never known a gluten free person who got anything worse than the runs, a really upset stomach, and maybe a headach. People allergic to dairy protein (yes, protein, not lactose) or buckwheat on the other hand... Now we are into the hospital emergency room visit level. How allergic are you?
)'(
bm_cricket

Burning Since: 2008

Postby Eric » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:06 am

bm_cricket wrote:People allergic to dairy protein (yes, protein, not lactose) or buckwheat on the other hand... Now we are into the hospital emergency room visit level. How allergic are you?

I have a (thankfully) minor allergy to dairy protein- I can eat a small amount about every 6 weeks, but more than that will raise my body temp ridiculously, give me the sweats and literally knock me out for hours. I bring food that I know is safe & eat that. I'll eat at food camps once I figure out that there is little dairy in it (cooking it makes it safer for me- a bit), but I figure its my allergy, my issue. I love the idea of a vegan camp since I'm sort of a vegan by default, but I still wouldn't expect anyone to come up with what I need to survive for the week.

I just wish my camp had a kitchen & I had some clout to invite VeganVamp to cook for me all week *g*
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby VeganVamp » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:25 am

Thank you for the invitation to cook for you if you had a kitchen :-P. I would be so honored... I just wanna have fun making some special dishes throughout the week for those who would appreciate, and camp with a veganarianismist tribe. This is going to be my third burn and am set on being more artistically expressive every year as an active member of our phenomenal community. And by the way, I'm wondering where all this need by the baconistas to pick on me stems from?
VeganVamp

Postby Eric » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:02 pm

VeganVamp wrote: And by the way, I'm wondering where all this need by the baconistas to pick on me stems from?

You'll get used to it. There seems to be something about the bacon posse that their naughty bits wither if they don't insult vegetarians for not sharing their delusions of bacons necessity. Just like any cult.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby VeganVamp » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:07 am

Got it... A good way to engage in a passionate debate, I suppose. I found a recipe for a gluten-free english muffin but it calls for eggwhites. Will egg replacer do the trick? Guess I'll have to see. Also, anyone from the Emerald City and Sacred Spaces HIT ME UP 'cuz I'm checking out how me and maybe a couple of friends can fit into the fun.

*Gabriel
VeganVamp

Postby lil_kiwi_vegan » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:51 pm

Hey beautiful vegans I would love to find out more about your camp.

I'm a vegan kiwi girl traveling to BM and keen to hook up with other compassionate people... I've been searching high & low on message boards to find a vegan community there... will there be any vegan outreach or AR groups there? I don't know about the rules of BM and if charitable groups are permitted to set up base and talk to people or if it's more like a fun, festive environment... either suits me I'm keen to get out amongst it!

<3 <3 <3
lil_kiwi_vegan

Postby AntiM » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:23 pm

bm_cricket wrote:
FaeTora wrote:You really don't have to. BUT if you do make sure you use clean utensils and cookware/bakware that has not come in contact with any other products. My roommate thinks its cute that I labeled the Top self of the Pantry "Gluten-free Only" but if his flour falls on my stuff I can't eat it anymore.

I've never known a gluten free person who got anything worse than the runs, a really upset stomach, and maybe a headach. People allergic to dairy protein (yes, protein, not lactose) or buckwheat on the other hand... Now we are into the hospital emergency room visit level. How allergic are you?

I'm sensitive to milk proteins, they inflame and aggravate my arthritis. Nightshades, especially tomatoes, really do a number on my joints. Extremely painful! Although I can get away with small amounts of hard cheese. And I'm not supposed to have much soy as my BC was ER+. I'm looking at my new ice cream maker with some dismay, hoping I can work with coconut, rice or almond milk!

Not truly an allergy, more of a reaction or sensitivity, won't kill me, but the people around me might after I've been bitching for hours. I surely understand not wanting cross-contamination, and eating out is a real bitch. I can't imagine how hard it would be for someone truly allergic to common ingredients.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Next

Return to 2010 Theme Camps