Looking for talented performers and vegan chefs

Looking for talented performers and vegan chefs

Postby dangerpuss » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:08 am

There will be a couple of vegan opportunities through our camp this year:

One is the chance for vegan cooks to act as guest chef for an evening during one of our supper clubs. You get a fully outfitted vegan kitchen to work in (no setup for you!) the opportunity to cook for a small group of celebrants (invitations to this event are highly coveted and talented people "sing for their supper" so there's always entertainment), and the chance to network with other cooks who are passionate about preparing delicious food.

Another is to "sing for your supper" and become one of those invitees. We're looking for jugglers, storytellers, acoustic performers, and anyone else who has a talent for entertaining and wants to partake in an exceptional vegan feast in return for sharing that talent.

A word about our veganism for those who have encountered militant vegans who left a bad taste in their mouth (no pun intended, but I'm sure one of you is going to razz me for it anyway): Our goal is to feed you a sumptuous feast in a comfortable, well-appointed camp structure as you enjoy the entertainments of the evening. That's it. No preaching, we promise.
dangerpuss

Burning Since: 2008

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:42 am

Well now, "vegan" rules out bacon... which rules out "talented chef".
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm Going To Hawaii Instead

Postby dangerpuss » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:08 pm

[quote="Captain Goddammit"]Well now, "vegan" rules out bacon... which rules out "talented chef".[/quote]

I just read an article the other day written by a chef (non-vegan) who was essentially decrying bacon as a cop-out ingredient. His position was that some chefs have become overly dependent on bacon's properties to provide appeal and flavor in their dishes. The writer's opinion was that a truly talented chef should be able to create a dish that provides the same appeal and flavor complexity without using bacon as a go-to ingredient.

I don't begrudge the bacon eaters of the world - hell, I love the taste of it too. But I do agree that those who take their culinary skills seriously should branch out beyond bacon.

Talent is pretty much required to be a good vegan cook; you're working with a much more limited arsenal, and if you're like me and want to appeal to a wide variety of palates (this includes my many omnivorous friends) you're up against a real challenge. The food I prepare is always well-received (just ask the Fishbug crew, who I fed last year during Feed the Artists), and many are amazed when I tell them there's no milk/cheese/meat in it. That, to me, tells me that I am indeed a talented vegan chef.
dangerpuss

Postby gaminwench » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:14 pm

/\ snap! /\
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby AntiM » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:56 pm

Mod Note: you had this crossposted, I deleted the second one which had no responses.

Thank you.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Oso » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:38 pm

Miss Puss:
I'm coming with my daughter (she's 17)... and while she is a bit shy, I will gladly perform a song or two if you will give us an invite.
Home is not where you live but where they understand you.
Oso

Postby GlowingGoodness » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:23 pm

Maybe my performance troupe (which is looking for a home) and my cooking skills could both be of some use. Please message me if interested.
GlowingGoodness

Postby Captain Goddammit » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:12 pm

“I would much rather swoon over a few thin slices of prime beefsteak,
or one small serving of chocolate, or a sliver of foie gras than to
indulge to the full on such nonentities as fat-free gelatin puddings.â€
Captain Goddammit

Postby dangerpuss » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:05 pm

"Just because you limit your resources to wheat germ, beans, and garlic does not mean you have any extra talent, just less interest in making yummy food."

Could be. Or could be that your knowledge of non-animal food sources is pretty limited if you can only think of three ingredients that fall into the vegan category. Or maybe it would just be more accurate to say that I'm less interested in making food that you would personally define as yummy, how's that?
dangerpuss

Postby dangerpuss » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:09 pm

Oso, we'd love to have you and your daughter join us for dinner. We're planning on handcrafting some truly gorgeous invites to give to people as keepsakes, so please stay tuned. We may opt to send any invites given before the event to folks at their homes via snail mail.
dangerpuss

Postby Captain Goddammit » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:33 pm

Well I hope you at least are able to whip up something with Crunch Berries, the finest fruit Earth has to offer.
But all that aside, margaritas count as vegan, right? I might have to challenge to a blend-off. Bring your finest tequila! We shall fight!
Captain Goddammit

Postby Dr Helix » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:54 pm

I would also like the opportunity to sing for my supper. I have some show tunes I can do, and am happy to make up songs (almost always humorous) about folks there based on two or three facts about them. I do most of my stuff at the Interactive Cafe. My girlfriend is a vegan so this would be a nice way for me to put on the dog for her. I will not be offended if there is no room at the table however. Enjoy and see you on the playa!
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:28 am

dangerpuss wrote:"Just because you limit your resources to wheat germ, beans, and garlic does not mean you have any extra talent, just less interest in making yummy food."

Could be. Or could be that your knowledge of non-animal food sources is pretty limited if you can only think of three ingredients that fall into the vegan category.

Wait a minute. Three things is traditional. There are even those who say it's hardwired. If he thought of 300 things, he would still have to list only three, or risk losing the audience.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Oso » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:54 am

Yup, that's right. Saying things in three's is typical, conventional and common.
Home is not where you live but where they understand you.
Oso

Postby dangerpuss » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:20 pm

Doc Helix, there is still room at the table for you! Please pm me with your home address, as we may be sending out our invitations via snail mail prior to the event.

Cap'n Goddammit, you already win, as I've never made a margarita in my life. I do make some tasty sangria, though, and you're welcome to a glass!

Glowing, how many in your group, and what sort of performance?
dangerpuss

Postby yellnruoka » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:25 pm

I am an excellent vegan chef and I just got back from taking a cooking course in Thailand. I would love to help out, if possible!
yellnruoka

Postby dangerpuss » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:29 pm

For those interested in being a guest chef in our camp, some more info:

Our camp is new this year: Emerald City. We are 3 of the 4 founders of Tree Ring Circus, which you may have visited last year at 7:30 and Esplanade. We had a climbing wall out front, a large parachute held up by handmade iron trees, and a mister system. Last year my playa cookery resulted in a 3 course vegan meal for 35+ during Feed the Artists, muggins (vegan egg muffin sammiches) and mimosas for around 200, and smoothies made from 50 lbs of frozen fruit plus soy milk.

This year we'll be over by 4:30 and B with a camp structure heavily influenced by the emerald city in the Oz movies and featuring haircuts and styling by internationally trained stylists in addition to our supper club. Which, by the way, could potentially be a brunch situation or a lunchtime affair if that's more your speed. As long as we plan it well enough in advance so it can get listed in the W?W?W? Guide I am fine with switching it up to suit the particular skills of a guest chef.

For your meal with us you will dictate the menu and thus your ingredients. If you've never cooked on the playa before or want to talk through the possibilities I am more than happy to help. We'll have staples and basic spices and oils on hand, will provide the kitchen infrastructure and take care of the pesky licensing and kitchen inspection issues, and also advise you as you source donations and funding for your ingredients, so all you have to worry about is your meal for the night.

We'll be inviting around 35 guests for each meal we serve. You can bring a sous chef with your or work alone, your choice. I will also be on hand to provide support and familiarize you with our setup, of course! The kitchen lives in a 10x20 structure and you will have a 4 burner propane grill with an optional griddle top to work on. It's a pretty sweet piece of equipment! I'll probably be bringing a 2 burner backup for small orders and for when we're using the griddle top.

If this sounds good to you why don't you PM me with a possible menu plan. I'd love to see what you would come up with for a 3 course meal for 40: starter, main, and a dessert or second course. The sky is the limit, really. And nothing is more rewarding than serving amazing food to appreciative playa people.

Thanks all!
dangerpuss

Postby curiousgnate » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:10 pm

So are you providing the ingredients, or is the chef supposed to provide the ingredients?
Creating Peace Through Anarchy Every Day!!! Stagger for life!
curiousgnate

Postby dangerpuss » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:31 pm

Depends upon the ingredients. As it stands right now I'm planning on being the primary chef for all of the meals unless someone else wants to step in and take over for the night. I'm working within a strict budget so will be utilizing whole foods and staple ingredients for the majority of my meals, and avoiding processed foods such as faux meats, cheeses, etc. If a guest wants to utilize some of the simple ingredients I have on hand they are welcome to do so, but if they want to work with unique/specialized ingredients they will need to bring what they want with them.
dangerpuss

Postby bister » Sat May 15, 2010 11:10 pm

dangerpuss, have you already selected all of your guests? i would love to attend with my friend. We both sing and i am a pretty good hoop dancer. let me know.
bister

Postby CapSmashy » Sun May 16, 2010 8:09 am

One of the reasons bacon is a fall back element for even world renowned chefs is the simple fact that there is not really a substitute for the complexities bacon can bring to the mix. Be it as an upfront ingredient as wrapping a sumptuous grass fed tenderloin medallion with a strip of thick cut applewood smoked bacon for cooking over an open fire of pecan and oak wood or a subtle background flavor derived from stir frying up a batch of the holy trinity (onion, celery and bell pepper) in some bacon grease in an old cast iron skillet before adding it into your jambalaya.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Veloptuous vegan chef iso camp and expressive outlet!

Postby VeganVamp » Sat May 29, 2010 2:00 pm

Shaluhia! (Shalom + Maluhia = Peace)

My name is Gabriel. I have been independently evolving my vegan chefing skills at home and various vegan restaurants. I love what you're doing on the Playa this year and would like to become involved.
Last Year I introduced Mary Mockmeat to Burning Man, making homemade sausage seitan sandwiches to share in my camp neighborhood. The year before that I let Garlique, the vegan vampress, out to stalk the night chopping coconuts for all the plasma-hungry mortals.
This year I intend to be a part of a vegan camp and go to town with my love for great delicious and organic vegan food, with artistic flar, style and imagination. Let's definitely connect to make our venture dreams come true!

Mahalo and Aloha!
VeganVamp

Update on the Emerald City's vegan supper club

Postby dangerpuss » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:53 pm

Oso and Doc Helix, your invites (+1 each) will be coming to you shortly via snail mail.

To bister and all others interested in sitting down at our table: auditions to sit down to supper with us are from 10am to noon on Mon, Weds, and Fri for that day's supper. We're located at 4:30 and Cairo, and invites will be given to...well, whoever amuses us in some way during the audition. Your invitation comes in the form of a key to the Emerald City, and you will need to present it at the door at 8pm that night in order to enter. (The key is yours to keep, however, as a souvenir of your evening with us.)

Each dinner will be unique in both menu and entertainments, as the guests change each night and are the ones providing the entertainment. All of the food will be vegan, and those who are interested in helping prepare the meal are encouraged to PM me now if they want in on the action. The menus are set, all of the kitchen equipment is shiny and ready to go, and now all we need to do is...wait for the end of August.

See you on the playa!
dangerpuss

Id love to take part

Postby Hottlotus » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:58 am

and singing will be my art, an epic Anthem that can only be done
by none other than.. Freddie Mercury! Dare I enter the vegan dinner
and vote for your scrumptious winner! ;) It would be an honor and delight
to shine in your spotlight.

Sir RaVen
Hottlotus

The biggest bummer ever

Postby dangerpuss » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:23 pm

It is with the deepest most sincere regret that I must announce that the Supper Club will not be coming to the playa this year. My husband and I were the two camp members pushing this project through, and we hit an unexpected financial wall a couple of weeks ago. After a weekend spent in limbo as we hashed and re-hashed our budget, we had to admit defeat. Medical bills and auto repair: 1, Supper Club: 0.

Thank you to all of you who expressed interest and encouragement for this project. We will be thinking of you and all the rest of our playa family as the man burns. Hopefully next year will bring us better luck and we will be able to come home in 2011.

Warmest regards,

Wendi
dangerpuss

4th year burner

Postby andrewlustig » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:15 pm

Hi,
Andrew from Santa Fe NM looking to camp with some fun folks this year. I work the medical tent, EMS Paramedic every year. I have a 24 foot trailer, but would like to be on comfy couches under a shade structure with good company much of the time...Do you have space or an interest? I am mostly veggie, and mostly organic...
thanks,
andrew
andrewlustig

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:57 am

Sorry to hear this, Wendi. I hope that you don't take much of a bath on monies already invested in the burn.
And get well.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Return to 2010 Theme Camps