looking for campmates for developing Lego-centric camp

looking for campmates for developing Lego-centric camp

Postby clerkkent » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:28 pm

I’ve got my tickets for Burning Man this year and now am diving head first into building a theme camp. This will be my 6th time. We have a couple of returnees from previous years, but are always open to having fun, fresh, dependable faces in the mix. Ideal campmates would be fun, self sufficient, laid back/drama free, & non smoking (at least in camp) My aim would be to have synergy between all the campmates. We don’t need hang out every minute of the day, but when we see each other, we enjoy each other’s company and strive to help each other. We can recount our experiences over a communal meal, and if one of us has had too much libations, we know that our campmates have our back.

The theme camp would be a Lego centric theme camp. I have gallons and gallons of Lego for people to come in and build art cars or whatnot, while having drinks, shooting the breeze, etc. but open to other ideas as well. I have access to two geo domes, which would be heart of the camp infrastructure. There would be no required hours to work, no $$ deposits needed, and it won't be a full time, loud music, boisterous bar..... basically, if you're hanging out at the camp, it would be 'open', and if no one is at the camp, then it is ' closed'. We are all probably going to be busy running around the Playa getting into trouble anyway. I’d like to have a few ‘official’ events that are listed in the guide, but otherwise it would be ‘self serve’.

If this interests you, drop me a line. If you have other ideas, or things to contribute, let us know. We’d like to brainstorm soon, and get a rough count of how many campers are in, so we can develop a proposal. I’m in Fairfield , in Solano county, East bay.
clerkkent

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:06 pm

You might want to spend some time thinking about keeping lego from becoming moop. My instant idea was kiddie wading pool, but you'd have to have multiple, because one wouldn't be big enough. And it would be uncomfortable to have more than one or two people inside one working on a building.
And I couldn't use it at all.

Hm.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:34 pm

Possibly a large ground tarp to cover the ground to keep dust down and contain potential moop? That is what I do at my camp.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:42 pm

I am Lego-curious.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby clerkkent » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:06 am

In previous years of doing this, I've brought the Lego in shallow storage boxes (6" tall, the kind you slide under your bed), and that held them in without needing to dump everything out so people could play with them. I've lined the floor of the tent/awning/dome with carpet remnants or tarps that made it A) comfortable for guests to sit down and B) easy to sweep rogue plastic bits.
clerkkent

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:23 am

Okay, you're way ahead of me. Please disregard my unneeded advice.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby clerkkent » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:38 pm

We're getting many inquiries from all over the planet about the camp (aka Lounge), so it's going to be lively! If you're interested, drop me a line!

I would like to have a few more local (SF Bay Area) burners as part of the camp, for infrastructure planning, building and hauling.
clerkkent

Postby Fire_Moose » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:32 am

you got bionicals?
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby clerkkent » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:51 pm

@ Fire_Moose : No, no Bionicle yet, we've been sticking with the classic blocks thus far. But if a heap of Lego spin-offs end being gifted to the play bins, we won't say no.
clerkkent

Postby illy dilly » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:32 am

clerkkent wrote:@ Fire_Moose : No, no Bionicle yet, we've been sticking with the classic blocks thus far. But if a heap of Lego spin-offs end being gifted to the play bins, we won't say no.

I might have a few of those same plastic containers worth of legos at my parents house, from when I was a kid. The next time I'm over there I'll ask if they're still around. I kinda remember them being given away a while ago, but i'll double check.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby clerkkent » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:16 pm

@ illy dilly : cool, thanks. We've had the policy for our guests of 'you build it, you keep it' for several years now. Last time we did this at our camp, over 20 lbs of Lego were adopted out the door in the form of mutant vehicles, camp models, flying doohickeys, and other creative contraptions by kids of all ages. We scour flea markets, yard sales, thrift stores et al looking to replenish the bins.
clerkkent

Postby shroom » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:22 am

What a great idea! I love legos!
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."~~Fred Shero
shroom

Burning Since: 2010

looking for a few campmates for the LetsGo Lounge

Postby clerkkent » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:48 am

We're hip deep in planning & procurement. We have our 'things to acquire' list, especially Lego, and even have the ubiquitous Facebook page! .. look for LetsGo Lounge. Waiting for the placement committee's good word, then it is a mad dash for the next 60 days.

We would like to have a few more local (SF Bay Area) burners (preferably with vehicles) as part of the camp, for infrastructure planning, building and hauling. Who is interested? Drop us a line, with why you're interested, and what you can bring to the mix.
clerkkent

Re: looking for a few campmates for the LetsGo Lounge

Postby EmilyD » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:58 am

clerkkent wrote:We're hip deep in planning & procurement. We have our 'things to acquire' list, especially Lego, and even have the ubiquitous Facebook page! .. look for LetsGo Lounge. Waiting for the placement committee's good word, then it is a mad dash for the next 60 days.

We would like to have a few more local (SF Bay Area) burners (preferably with vehicles) as part of the camp, for infrastructure planning, building and hauling. Who is interested? Drop us a line, with why you're interested, and what you can bring to the mix.

You know about the Lego Jeep I assume? http://www.legojeep.com/ Kevin is in the Bay Area.
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!
EmilyD

Postby clerkkent » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:18 pm

@ EmilyD : I've heard of the jeep, seen it in pasing at Maker Faire. Didn't know he/she/it goes to the playa, or of they need a home camp.
clerkkent

Postby trystanthegypsy » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:32 pm

HOORAY!!

I'm nowhere close and have nothing to contribute, as I am part of a camp already.. but I will come and love you!!!!
trystanthegypsy

Postby shroom » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:47 pm

If this camp comes to the playa, I will bring you some legos. I saw a ton at my local thrift store for cheap!
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."~~Fred Shero
shroom

LEtsGO Lounge is a go!

Postby clerkkent » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:09 pm

We're official! We're going to be at 4:30 & Edinburgh. I'm getting jazzed now... got that Playa tingle!
clerkkent

Postby EmilyD » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:12 pm

clerkkent wrote:@ EmilyD : I've heard of the jeep, seen it in pasing at Maker Faire. Didn't know he/she/it goes to the playa, or of they need a home camp.
I'm pretty sure he does attend but not sure if he intends to this year. Go ahead and contact Kevin. His jeep would be a great addition to your camp! I have two boxes of "Mega Bloks" http://www.teaching-tiny-tots.com/image ... -bloks.jpg if you want them. They used to be on my old artcar. Let me know and I'll bring them along for your camp.
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!
EmilyD

Return to 2010 Theme Camps