RV or Bus Shade structures - anyone use these at BM?

RV or Bus Shade structures - anyone use these at BM?

Postby VArocketry » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:24 pm

It occurs to me that a sun shade might be useful for an RV just as it is for tents or other structures.

I think I've seen them in pictures of parked RVs at BM. But I haven't seen them discussed anywhere and haven't found anything in GOOGLE.

Seems like you could fashion something out of TYVEK wrap that would function both as sun shade and awning.

First time burner appreciates all suggestions/comments.
VArocketry

Postby TomServo » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:06 pm

They do get hot, if your not running the a/c. We had an RV a few years back, and I preffered my tent. Or the hammock under our shade structure. I've been more comfortable in shade structures, using mist systems and wind.

I think, with the sun always moving, shade won't help the RV that much..
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby rodiponer » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:01 pm

I draped a double layer of aluminet (silver greenhouse shade cloth) over my camper van. It was much cooler inside after that, though hanging out in the shade structure was still much nicer.

I learned this from here:
http://www.oceanbeach.com/ches/travel/b ... rning_van/
rodiponer

Postby teardropper » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:33 am

I let my no air, no gennie ancient motorhome sit. I didn't spend much daytime in it, but when I did I used D battery fans to move the air. And I used those same fans, some with 6 D cells, to blow on me in the morning so I could sleep a little later. It all worked. Last year wasn't all that hot, I think, so who knows if that will work. I was thinking of the camo netting, like they use over gun placements, and draping it over my RV. I wonder if that would do anything besides hide it from passing planes.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

RV shade structure

Postby amethyst49 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:48 pm

[color=blue]In 2006 I took my dad's old 1978 Winnebago to the Playa. While it proceeded to die upon arrival, my shade structure was a hit!!! I had an awning attached to the RV, and had made sure the hardware was very secure. I then made a giant 20ft 3 - sided tent to cover it. The top was a solid piece, that I had sewn out of two peices of fabric, and the sides are all separate strips that have grommets at the bottom to secure to the ground with tent stakes - all different colors like a circus tent. The top piece also has grommets, and I secured it to the top of the RV with bungee cords , rope, or whatever worked.

While the 70 mph dust storms were roaring, and tents and awnings were flying off motorhomes, mine was safe and secure and relatively dust free. I would have about 20 people in my little Moroccan Love den each afternoon while the wind did it's worst. :lol:

The next time I went without the RV and used the Big Tent to cover a camper as well as my tent with a liing room area in between. This year I will be adding a fourth side, and will use a pop up gazebo structure or two as my middle support, with two small tents underneath and a living room area in between.

You could use tarps, or be more creative and find colorful fabric. I scouted around for inexpensive upolstry fabric for mine. [/color]
amethyst49

Postby Elliot » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:18 pm

:D

Yes, shading your RV will make a big difference. Here is what I rigged up last year:

The air space between the tarp and the bus is the key. The breeze carries the heat away before it gets to the bus.

:D
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - on 4:30 Plaza

--------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!--------

Camp website:
http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby plumblove » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:09 am

Elliot, I must know more about your unique "bus". Looks like you've made it into a toy hauler among many other interesting changes.
plumblove

Postby Elliot » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:35 am

Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - on 4:30 Plaza

--------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!--------

Camp website:
http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Re: RV or Bus Shade structures - anyone use these at BM?

Postby shaktilove » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:38 am

Hey, Amethyst...

Did you use Solar screen to make the walls of your tent around the RV?? I am bringing an RV this year and am trying to decide which material to bring. Your tent sounded really great!!

Shakti
shaktilove

Re: RV or Bus Shade structures - anyone use these at BM?

Postby Elorrum » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:30 am

I saw an R.V. in 2009 that had a couple of saw horses on top with a big tarp tensioned over them. That fellow spent the better part of a day, toiling (playing) with his shade, but it looked cool when he was done.
Midnight on a carousel ride
Reaching for the gold ring down inside

2015 eplaya meet and greet/ Barbie Death Village/ 7 and E/ Wed. 6PM
Elorrum

Return to 2010 Theme Camps