Electronic Music Discussion Panel

Electronic Music Discussion Panel

Postby tepepinda » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:36 am

Hi Fellow Burners...

I know there are a lot of you for whom this topic is near and dear, one way or the other, so come on out to this panel I am moderation on the playa this year.... i would especially love it if someone who articulately loathes electronic music and what it has done to the playa would jump in and share that perspective with us....

peace! love! dust!

gregory

++ ++ ++ ++

http://earth.burningman.com/brc/2010/playa_event/3840/

Date/Time(s): Thursday, September 2nd, 2010 6 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
Type: Class/Workshop
Hosted by Camp: The Phage
Contact Email: gd@windowseat.info
Description

Electronic music producers talking about their craft, their experience on the playa, etc etc. w/Syd Gris, Random Rab, Jody Wisternoff, Will Bailey

I tried this at the Priceless campout in July, where I led a very informal roundtable discussion (or whatever you want to call it--a gathering within a gathering?) between electronic musicmakers and participants at the event. The crowd was a mix of music lovers and other musicmakers and we talked about lots of stuff -- from the panelists' musical backgrounds to the role of genre in the electronic scene; to the tension between composing for performance vs internet streaming; from the opportunities presented by technology to the constraints created by same; from the glass ceiling for female performers (is there one?) to the importance of nurturing local scenes in turning out great music.

It was great. People -- panelists and participants alike -- loved it.

So I'd like to do it again on the playa, with the additional wrinkle that I'd like to explore the role of electronic music at burning man and the role of the burning man scene in the broader electronic community. I think it's been huge, in both directions, and I think the playa is the place to really have that discussion, don't you?
~t~
tepepinda

Return to 2010 Art & Performance