Mutant scooter project needs some help

Mutant scooter project needs some help

Postby Mr. Lucky » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:29 pm

Hey all, after 7 years I hope to bring my own mutant vehicle - I was given a HTC Pacelite 707 electric scooter that just needs a new battery. Mine has no seat (good thing given the DMV regs) and no rack.

I want to make it look like a partial orca (with eye, fin, and animated spout and tail), at night using el wire. I've got the wire and a good sequencer from past projects.

My question is what is the recommended framing material?

Depending on how strong/light the framing is, I could cover it in some light material and light it from the inside, like the hippocampus from last year,

or these from 2002

I figured somebodies here would have some good playa tested suggestions.

Thanks for your help!!
Mr. Lucky

framing material

Postby Mr. Lucky » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:21 pm

OK,
So the obvious framing material is pvc pipe. But pvc pipe almost always lets me down on the playa. In fact, unless it's actually moving water around, its pretty useless. I suppose if it was used in some sort of tension frame, tied (I hate to drill it as that seems to cause a weak point) at cross points, might work.

Another material could be chicken wire. It's resilient, pretty light, bends easy and keeps it's shape pretty good. Maybe that in addition to some light wood/plywood framing would work.

Still, there must be some other tricks you pros use. Dish! How does that hippocampus glow so well?
Lucky
Hippocampus (4:30 and Detroit)
L'Cafe Hippocamus for coffee and french attitude
Mr. Lucky

Postby frenchblue1 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:34 am

the challenge with the electric scooters is they will last about an hour on a charge or 12-15 miles and that is at an average of 160 lbs. Adding weight will decrease the range. I've been looking at modifying one with solar but after researching it the range isn't there.
frenchblue1

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:21 am

I'd love to go 12-15 miles on a charge...

*sigh*
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Mr. Lucky » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:56 pm

[quote="frenchblue1"]the challenge with the electric scooters is they will last about an hour on a charge or 12-15 miles and that is at an average of 160 lbs. Adding weight will decrease the range. I've been looking at modifying one with solar but after researching it the range isn't there.[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up on this. It could be a deal breaker. An hour is not much. Can the range issue be mitigated or improved by changing the gearing? This scooter seems to have a lot of power, more than is necessary (or allowed) for the playa. Would there be savings by changing the rear gear to something different? Are there other ways of getting more time per charge by trading off power?

Cryptofishist - what kind of range do you see? What kind of scooter do you have? How about you Frenchblue?
Lucky
Hippocampus (4:30 and Detroit)
L'Cafe Hippocamus for coffee and french attitude
Mr. Lucky

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:31 pm

I'm in a wheelchair, not a scooter.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby domitron » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:55 am

Mr. Lucky, Message me. My best friend has modified all this scooters to give about four times that range using replacement batteries. He knows a lot of about that stuff.
domitron

Postby gyre » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:39 am

Do you know if the wheels will work on the playa?
A friend gave me an electric scooter and it had such narrow wheels, I knew it would not work.
Easy to change the front, but not the rear on mine.

You can always use better batteries, especially a matched NIMH pack.

Why not get an electric bike?
gyre

Postby gyre » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:40 am

domitron wrote:Mr. Lucky, Message me. My best friend has modified all this scooters to give about four times that range using replacement batteries. He knows a lot of about that stuff.

Please post any useful info.
Thanks
gyre

Postby gyre » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:48 am

Mr. Lucky wrote:
frenchblue1 wrote:the challenge with the electric scooters is they will last about an hour on a charge or 12-15 miles and that is at an average of 160 lbs. Adding weight will decrease the range. I've been looking at modifying one with solar but after researching it the range isn't there.

Thanks for the heads up on this. It could be a deal breaker. An hour is not much. Can the range issue be mitigated or improved by changing the gearing? This scooter seems to have a lot of power, more than is necessary (or allowed) for the playa. Would there be savings by changing the rear gear to something different? Are there other ways of getting more time per charge by trading off power?

Cryptofishist - what kind of range do you see? What kind of scooter do you have? How about you Frenchblue?

I don't know how you would go 15 miles in an hour out there.
Speed limit is 5 mph or less in the city, depending on dust.
Smooth tires = less dust.

Having a good controller is the key to good mileage.
Other than that it will depend on motor quality and gearing.

Lithium phosphate batteries are the most effective, but costly.
NIMH is the best compromise, or nicad.
You need a high quality charger.

There are many forums on electric bikes and the power issues.
gyre

Return to 2010 Art & Performance