Graffiti Wall Or Some kind Of spray paint ART!!!

Graffiti Wall Or Some kind Of spray paint ART!!!

Postby TERROR » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:27 pm

Hey Everyone...
Just wondering if anyone is doing anything with spray paint or Graffiti on the playa? I would love to Legally Paint someones Something if its cool... I can send pics or whatever.. I know one year someone built the sugar cube and people could tag it up ... Just wondering what other Graff artist are thinking for BM this year..
I go By TERROR and Im a stencil artist, Look for some of my work out there this year.. Ill be trying to paint as much as I can...
Thanks
TERROR

Postby Bounce530 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:18 am

Trust me, this is a touchy subject, be ready for lots of flaming...I brought this up about two years ago on Eplaya, and the response turned into alot of, "If you spray my shit, I'll shove that can...."
I have seen wall just for painting up. Last year there was one on 4:30 about half way down the steet...
I've wrapped my van with thick coated paper, and put out markers so people could write/paint what ever they wanted.
I would really like to put up a wall, and supply paint (with a drop cloth under) for people to leave their what ever...
Come find me around 4:30 between J and I...
What other people think about you is none of your business.
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Postby Bounce530 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:27 am

Something else that I did, that wasn't perm, was what I called playa graff. I carved a Mustache into a plank of wood and stamped it into the loose playa, no harm to anybodies art....
That pic was from a beach before the stamp went to the playa.
Bounce530

Postby LeChatNoir » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:59 am

That's a great idea. One of those, "Why didn't I think of that?" things. Dammit, Bouncer... now you got me thinking on more things to make.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Postby Token » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:47 am

Graffitti is a touchy subject with the BORG.

Couple years back we had a large piece on the open Playa that was covered in awesome graffitti done by a cool old school artist. It was all sprayed before the event even opened.

We had to spend hours negotiating with the BM staff before they allowed us to do it.

They are afraid of the "monkey see monkey do" herd mentality and think that any amount of graffitti anywhere will spark a tagging frenzy.

I'd be carefull about doing it on Playa.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:50 am

LeChatNoir wrote:That's a great idea. One of those, "Why didn't I think of that?" things. Dammit, Bouncer... now you got me thinking on more things to make.

Like carving that in flat soles of platform boots. Cover the whole place!
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby FaeTora » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:57 am

they do that with flip flops that newly weds can wear on the beach.
We break to remind us how to mend.
FaeTora

Postby C187 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:13 pm

I was thinking heavily about putting up a wall just for spray / stencil / wheat paste to the point of building a [digital] 3D scale mock-up. Since the wall would be on a platform, and sections of the wall could rotate. But in the end I decided not to do it. Mostly because I didn't want to bring it cross country to have to dump it. Also because I didn't want to risk an asshole spray'n the side of an RV.

If you want to sneak something in, for the love of [deity] write "Post No Bills" somewhere on it. (I'll be sure to pump some love onto it if you do.)
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...
C187

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby lucky420 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:26 pm

you could paint my hexayurt, but maybe that's not cool enough...
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby TERROR » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:58 pm

Ok ..
So thats why I posted this was to see if anyone was setting something up.. But yeah Im a Legit artist and I don't paint peoples ART installations/RV's or anything like that.. In the Graff World if you know we call these people "TOYS" .. So yeah I would be doing some good art not BS throw ups.. In 2009 that last couple days I would wake up and there would be a new Tag on our Camp bar, It was Ply wood but I still thought that was cool, I guess you could just straight out ask people and the worst that can happen is they say no, But Im sure some people would be cool about things..
I already submitted my art for the Back Fence around center camp so hopefully they let me paint that but I wanna paint as much as possible..
Yo Bounce I will deff come say hi and kick it.. we should find some stuff to paint.. LoL
Lucky420 Im so down to paint your whatever just let me know Ill come by and put a Beautiful stencil on it!
Oh and if someone can let me know how to post pics on here I can post some of my art...
Thanks everyone for the replies
TERROR[/img]
TERROR

Postby Bounce530 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:51 pm

Bounce530

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:12 pm

FaeTora wrote:they do that with flip flops that newly weds can wear on the beach.

Prostitutes did that in ancient Greece. "Follow me."
Or maybe it was Rome. I have too much trivia in my brain, it's all melting together and becoming frankentrivia, or something.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby C187 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:58 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Or maybe it was Rome.

In Rome they had markers with phalluses coming out of the stone.

---

Honestly I think some people bring paint just to fuck up others works. Or to hit obvious structures for the playa. Giving paint in my mind would be a toss. In default world I assume someone is smart enough to not paint someones RV/tent. On the playa I assume at least half of all burners are dumb enough to paint someones RV/tent.

When I was working out my wall. I had an idea to print a small pictograph sign depicting bad paint areas close to the wall. Then I remembered that few people even look for signs anymore.

---

To link an image un-check "Disable BBCode in this post" if it's checked and then (with out spaces) use [ img ] http://domain.com/dir/image.jpg [ / img ]
C187

Postby Eric » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:12 pm

C187 wrote:To link an image un-check "Disable BBCode in this post" if it's checked and then (with out spaces) use [ img ] http://domain.com/dir/image.jpg [ / img ]

Just remember that images must come from the web, they can't be uploaded from your computer, so you'll need to have the images you want on a website (like Flickr if nothing else)
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby lucky420 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:33 pm

TERROR, thank you. Not sure where will be yet but if you see a bare naked yurt please feel free to stop by...
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby FaeTora » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:02 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
FaeTora wrote:they do that with flip flops that newly weds can wear on the beach.

Prostitutes did that in ancient Greece. "Follow me."
Or maybe it was Rome. I have too much trivia in my brain, it's all melting together and becoming frankentrivia, or something.

Can't help you with that. I only can remember useless information. The more useless the better I can remember it.
We break to remind us how to mend.
FaeTora

Postby Elliot » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:48 am

:D
As the owner of a large "blank canvas"...

...I am interested in all ideas for decoration. But I'm scared silly of the thought that it might wind up looking like "rattlecan vandalism".

I do have several people interested in tackling portions of the bus. I'm thinking early mornings, when it is cool, and minimal wind.

Don't know how it would work out with dividing it into sections for various artists. But it has been suggested that I create a unified background beforehand, like a rudimentary landscape, to tie the various oddities together.

Suggestions welcome. It just absolutely must not look anything like rattlecan vandalism.
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - on 4:30 Plaza

--------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!--------

Camp website:
http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby TERROR » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:13 pm

Hey Elliot..
Your bus is amazing... I would love to have a piece of the canvas to paint... Im having much trouble post pics on here so If you could send me your email and I can email you all the photos of my work..
I know what you mean by you don't want it rattle can Vandalism.. My spray paint art is not like that.. you can compare my work to the work of Banksy the stencil artist your Blek Le Rat.. Im very simple Black and white Maybe a little red in there too... Im already submitting art work to paint on the back fence around center camp so hopefully I can do that but I would absolutely love to put a piece up on your bus..
All my stencils are done from my own photography and I can also make something custom if your into something you want custom..
super stoked about this so let me know and I can exchange some photos of my work .. And I promise as I said earlier in this thread Im not a TOY..
Thanks for posting this..
-TERROR
TERROR

Postby Elliot » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:33 pm

Terror, you should be able to e-mail me simply by clicking on the "e-mail" button at the bottom of my posts. (Some people have this enabled, and others do not.) I do indeed have some images I might want on the bus, so let's discuss that option also.
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - on 4:30 Plaza

--------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!--------

Camp website:
http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:29 am

So what's the best way to get spray paint off fingers and fingernails?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby C187 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:47 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:So what's the best way to get spray paint off fingers and fingernails?

Latex gloves when painting.. :roll: ..a solvent, like turpentine, or gasoline..
C187

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:26 pm

C187 wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:So what's the best way to get spray paint off fingers and fingernails?

Latex gloves when painting.. :roll: ..a solvent, like turpentine, or gasoline..

Yum, toxic! It's what I get for being an amateur, I suppose.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:12 am

Metropolis is a city, there have to be walls. No city without walls. Bring the walls to paint.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Isotopia » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:24 pm

Just wondering if anyone is doing anything with spray paint or Graffiti on the playa? I would love to Legally Paint someones Something if its cool... I can send pics or whatever.. I know one year someone built the sugar cube and people could tag it up ... Just wondering what other Graff artist are thinking for BM this year..
I go By TERROR and Im a stencil artist, Look for some of my work out there this year.. Ill be trying to paint as much as I can...

It's your fucking idea, why don't you fucking do it.
Isotopia

Postby falk » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:24 pm

Token wrote:
LeChatNoir wrote:That's a great idea. One of those, "Why didn't I think of that?" things. Dammit, Bouncer... now you got me thinking on more things to make.

Like carving that in flat soles of platform boots. Cover the whole place!

I did something like that last year. Built up the soles of my playa shoes and engraved them so every step stamped a picture into the dust. Between two boots, heel & toe, I had a 4-drawing sequence of the evolving man.

Didn't work so good because the impressions weren't crisp enough, and the dust would blow away within minutes, but it was a start.
falk

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:33 pm

It is very important when spraying graffiti at BM that you have a big pickle in your mouth.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:52 am

oneeyeddick wrote:It is very important when spraying graffiti at BM that you have a big pickle in your mouth.

Salt cured, and not vinegar, I take it.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby PugRay » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:38 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Salt cured, and not vinegar, I take it.

This appears to illustrate: when eating pickles in general and especially tagging graffiti; Size Really Matters...Image
PugRay

Return to 2010 Art & Performance