Call to Morning Prayer

Call to Morning Prayer

Postby bm_cricket » Sat May 15, 2010 5:18 pm

Odd thing I think about often. In 2008 on Wednesday at sun rise there was someone who began singing the Islamic call to morning prayer. It was hypnotizing.

Does anyone know who that was? It was the only time I have ever heard it in the United States but I bet you it could easily become a fixture at Burning Man if a few people put their voices to work. In most middle eastern cities it is a fixture of the sound-scape.

I am not preaching. I'm not Muslim if anyone cares. I'm atheist actually. But this is honestly one of the most unearthly sounds, especially when it's coming from hundreds of people and from every direction.

Just in case you have no idea what I'm talking about.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAvlimEYEpQ[/youtube]
bm_cricket

Burning Since: 2008

Postby lambert13 » Sun May 16, 2010 5:44 am

Regardless of religious affiliation or lack of, the 'call to prayer' can sound very beautiful in the right setting. I agree with you 100%.

Even if a coordinated effort of live voices could not be done, having it come though speakers can be just as amazing. Especially right around sunrise when everything is quiet and sleepy.
It's pointless to walk when it's past time to run.
lambert13

Postby AntiM » Sun May 16, 2010 6:36 am

I've lived in both Saudi and Iran, I know exactly what you mean. Although mostly I've heard it over crackly old speakers, mixed in with traffic noise and street sounds.

Although the Yaki Imo call can be as haunting:

http://www.antipixel.com/blog/archives/audio/yaki-imo.mp3

Roasted sweet potatoes can be spiritual.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby CapSmashy » Sun May 16, 2010 8:34 am

My wife recorded this in Turkey.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaJGcRGvT14[/youtube]

They arrived at the Blue Mosque just as the call to prayer was beginning.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby CapSmashy » Sun May 16, 2010 8:38 am

lambert13 wrote:Regardless of religious affiliation or lack of, the 'call to prayer' can sound very beautiful in the right setting. I agree with you 100%.

Even if a coordinated effort of live voices could not be done, having it come though speakers can be just as amazing. Especially right around sunrise when everything is quiet and sleepy.

My first thought is that it would be beautiful to play one morning but my wife pointed out that we would wholly unprepared if we had someone show up with or looking for a prayer rug at our bus.
CapSmashy

Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby bm_cricket » Sun May 16, 2010 9:13 am

AntiM wrote:I've lived in both Saudi and Iran, I know exactly what you mean. Although mostly I've heard it over crackly old speakers, mixed in with traffic noise and street sounds.

Although the Yaki Imo call can be as haunting:

http://www.antipixel.com/blog/archives/audio/yaki-imo.mp3

Roasted sweet potatoes can be spiritual.

I guess that to me the city sounds seem only too appropriate. BRC is a bustling ephemeral city that never sleeps.

I was personally hoping to inspire someone out there who is capable and willing to create a real prayer space from which to call morning prayer. It would probably feel empty for someone like me to do it but since BRC has people from every walk of life I would just like to inspire someone from this walk of life to make this contribution. It would be a welcomed one, even for those people who aren't of the same faith. Also, I know a few people in my camp and others who are planning a sort of distributed sound system for the playa. It could help increase the range of one or two people's voices to the entire playa!!
)'(
bm_cricket

Postby LeChatNoir » Sun May 16, 2010 9:40 am

lambert13 wrote:Regardless of religious affiliation or lack of, the 'call to prayer' can sound very beautiful in the right setting. I agree with you 100%.... Especially right around sunrise when everything is quiet and sleepy.

You summed up what I was going to post pretty well. To me, it's like placing an ear to the wall and hearing something coming from way back in the past
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Postby ZaphodBurner » Sun May 16, 2010 10:32 am

Much better than my idea of projecting jihad beheading videos into PETA camp.

A cool idea would be to have a choir of monks sing the call to prayer.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby bm_cricket » Sun May 16, 2010 11:03 am

ZaphodBurner wrote:Much better than my idea of projecting jihad beheading videos into PETA camp.

A cool idea would be to have a choir of monks sing the call to prayer.

I'm not going to tell you that you can't project something into the PETA camp (It's burning man!?) but if I may make a suggestion: I think it would be good enough to just show clips of every fast food chain ad into their camp 24/7. Just videos of hamburgers on grills and little kids eating meat. Videos of fat American families eating double sized cow-part patties with special sauce.

PS, I seldom eat any meat but I get a sick satisfaction in screwing with PETA members. They take their opinion, which I happen to feel is justified, to an absurd extreme. I don't follow anyone who lives too far to any extreme.

As for monks, yeah, sounds great! I don't know if there are more or less Buddhist monks or Islamic imams on the playa but I would love to hear both in this year of the metropolis.

I am not religious but ancient songs like these shake your bones.
)'(
bm_cricket

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sun May 16, 2010 12:55 pm

AntiM wrote:I've lived in both Saudi and Iran, I know exactly what you mean. Although mostly I've heard it over crackly old speakers, mixed in with traffic noise and street sounds.

I heard it in Turkey. It really was great. I think the crackly old speakers would be perfect. I also loved the way in the time of cell phones and everybody having accurate time that the call to prayer went on for at least 5 minutes starting up and fading away from random points on the compass.

Where does one get those old PA horns. I have been looking. I am thinking of them for another project that could be used for the call to prayer too.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby Isotopia » Sun May 16, 2010 1:32 pm

I remember being told by Larry that there was to be a call to prayer each morning. I too only heard it once in the early hours of daybreak and thought it was pretty damn cool

Certainly more soothing to wake up to than the ubiquitous rave music.
Isotopia

Postby bm_cricket » Sun May 16, 2010 7:00 pm

Isotopia wrote:I remember being told by Larry that there was to be a call to prayer each morning. I too only heard it once in the early hours of daybreak and thought it was pretty damn cool

Certainly more soothing to wake up to than the ubiquitous rave music.

The neighborhood I was in that morning was pretty quiet at that hour. The most pronounced sound was the song with just a hint of face-melting wobbly base-line far off in the distance.
)'(
bm_cricket

FUCK ISLAM

Postby sbot » Thu May 27, 2010 12:15 pm

your little bullshit "call to prayer" is totally evil. So go fuck yourself.

FUCK RELIGION! AND ESPECIALLY FUCK ISLAM!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTMRRzUAyrE[/youtube]

I'm not open minded enough to tolerate totalitarian hatred. Sorry, it's not even funny. That little "call to prayer" video you posted is not cute. It is evil.

The people who sing that song & coming to "prayer" in those Mosques rape and beat their women, and they want everyone at burning man dead. So FUCK Islam, and FUCK Religion, and FUCK you for being a coward.

Take your call to prayers and fuck off. I'm calling you out!
sbot

Postby Bounce530 » Thu May 27, 2010 12:28 pm

What other people think about you is none of your business.
Bounce530

Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu May 27, 2010 12:31 pm

Bounce530 wrote:..

My thoughts as well.

Sbot, keep your hatred in Defaultia, where it belongs.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby sbot » Thu May 27, 2010 1:02 pm

Ugly Dougly,

as i'm NOT threatening anyone...

being all happy about a "call to prayer" that is itself the greatest force of hatred and violence towards women, gays, and everything freedom stands for is sickening. educate yourself.

the laws of the countries in that "prayer" video kill people like you. and here you are supporting it like it's some happy little "unification" tribute or some bullshit. you're ignorant and cowardly!
sbot

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu May 27, 2010 1:13 pm

Nice try, troll.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Isotopia » Thu May 27, 2010 1:32 pm

Hey, I'm an atheist. I'm a queer and I have issues with what's going on under the name of religion myself.

But I like good gospel music too.

Suggesting that actions by a minority of religious extremists under the name of Allah/Mohammed or whoever is representative of an entire group (or culture) of people is about as unfair as suggesting that Timothy McVeigh acted on the part of ALL Christians when he blew up the fed building in Oklahoma.

Sorry, but I'm not buyin' your visceral stereotyping.
Isotopia

Postby ygmir » Thu May 27, 2010 7:15 pm

would it be "un-P.C." to suggest, perhaps, the model airplane club do a fly-over during the song?............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby goathead » Fri May 28, 2010 1:48 am

ygmir wrote:would it be "un-P.C." to suggest, perhaps, the model airplane club do a fly-over during the song?............

only if they fly into the Man.
Is that Paul at the controls?

some sounds just seem to haunt the soul.
have nothing to do with Islam but the sounds of the calls
brings peace to my soul for some reason.
just as the sounds of bagpipes, or other sounds stir my soul.

accordians, flaming tuba's, men in lederhosen.....
Girls in lederhosen.
Wondering where Simon is?
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu
Plug n Play camps have done to Burning Man what panty hose did to Finger-Fucking. Ratty
FREE THE SHERPAS
goathead

Burning Since: 1999

Postby ygmir » Fri May 28, 2010 7:01 am

Zamfir, is your man, then...........

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wv3Ya9nskA[/youtube]
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby unjonharley » Fri May 28, 2010 7:09 pm

There was a minaret built on the playa 2008
unjonharley

Postby FaeTora » Fri May 28, 2010 8:20 pm

I was raised Catholic and as a Witness (don't try to wrap your mind around that; the minds a terrible thing to waste) and am now agnostic. I believe there maybe something out there and I do not claim to be smart enough to know for certain what is or isn't. But I also do not force my beliefs on anyone else. They are my own and I hold them dear. I am also gay and my sister is African American and Caucasian. I can remember hearing Mulatto and Zebra being yelled at my sister as we walked down the street and (though I had no understanding at that age what it ment) crying because I couldn't understand how someone could hate the beautiful kind person that was my sister.

Having said that. Sbot, have you ever had your IQ tested? Does an eye for eye solve anything? In my expereince you just end up with a bunch of blind men walking around. Its a chant. It has no arms, no guns, no trigger fingers. The Playa will not be seduced into violence because of a mere call to prayer.

Leave your hatred at the door along with your shoes.
We break to remind us how to mend.
FaeTora

Postby Eric » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:46 pm

seeing as sbot's first post was "herpes slut at the burn" I wouldn't place to much value on what he says. He seems rather pathetic.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Call to Prayer

Postby SFbrothermichael » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:27 pm

This is the call to prayer you heard.
It's by the artist David King.

http://www.davidkingcollage.com/calltoprayer1.html
SFbrothermichael

Postby gyre » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:18 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlVRBXhvCoM[/youtube]
gyre

Re: Call to Prayer

Postby bm_cricket » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:14 pm

SFbrothermichael wrote:This is the call to prayer you heard.
It's by the artist David King.

http://www.davidkingcollage.com/calltoprayer1.html

That does seem very, very likely except I didn't attend in 2007. Maybe it returned in 2008 for a special morning prayer.

Either way, cool! Thank you!

EDIT: If I close my eyes and try to remember then yes, I remember clearly that this is the voice I heard.
)'(
bm_cricket

Postby nickn » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:19 am

I wanted to play all 32 minutes of Pharoah Sanders' "The Creator Has a Master Plan" one morning, but as great as it is, I still wasn't sure my neighbors would want to hear it.
nickn

Postby Timezone LaFontaine » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:34 am

nickn wrote:I wanted to play all 32 minutes of Pharoah Sanders' "The Creator Has a Master Plan" one morning, but as great as it is, I still wasn't sure my neighbors would want to hear it.

I'd love to hear that out there. Actually, come to think of it, I listened to that album on the way to BRC last year.
Timezone LaFontaine

Burning Since: 2006

Postby Lassen Forge » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:46 am

Kinda like The Last Prophet done by Fateh Ali Khan... one of those hauntingly beautiful things you can fall back on again and again when you want to hear something totally different. Keep a copy of it on my ipod... just the thing to listen to on an airliner...

;)

Seriously, tho... Music is music... whether it's some crusty 90's grunge or ancient religious stuff or lady gaga or the oak ridge boys or zeppelin.. it's all a gift of being human, that it's there to be enjoyed.

As to the call to prayer - it's all in the talent of the mullah issuing it. Like anyone else wto whom music isn't their primary profession, it can go from stunningly beautiful to all about shouting. Shit, kinda like some people I've seen on stage at BRC! ;)

And no... I am not a follower of Islam, but I do like the music. So there.

(And for you numerologists... this was post # 3200. Figure *that* one out...)
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Next

Return to 2010 Art & Performance