First time artist seeks advice

First time artist desires mentors

Postby mseth » Mon May 03, 2010 9:26 am

After hosting Bacon and Bloodies for 10 years, I am branching out and creating an installation for Black Rock City. Any advice for this jaded virgin?

I would like advice about work spaces, donations and fundraising.

I'm really excited about seeing people interact with my art this year.
I'm looking forward to my first Burning Man installation for Metropolis 2010
mseth

First time artist seeks advice

Postby mseth » Mon May 03, 2010 9:41 am

I'm very excited to be creating art for Burning Man after helping put on a them camp for 10 years. Does anyone have advice about workspaces, donations or fundraising? Check out my blog about the project. http://pyramidcocoon.tumblr.com/
mseth

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon May 03, 2010 10:28 am

First piece of advice: No cross-posting. It's called "cross-posting" because reading the same postings over and over makes people cross. Maybe you should see if one of the mods can combine the multiple threads and put it in the most appropriate forum.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby j_cavera » Tue May 04, 2010 8:45 am

Attempt to get help but don't count on getting any. Ditto for money. Make sure that your first project is something that you can do completely by yourself and then be pleasantly surprised if you find other resources.

And DO NOT underestimate transportation. That can end up being the biggest single hit.
j_cavera

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue May 04, 2010 8:52 am

Share about your ideas here and see if someone local to you steps up to the plate and offers help. You don't need more than one or two good friends. ;)
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby LeChatNoir » Wed May 12, 2010 9:36 pm

Hi mseth,

Many of the folks that outline projects on eplaya are self funded, including me so I’m not much help there. Hopefully someone from the theme camp you’ve worked with would have a connection to a workspace. They might even be able to advise on fundraising since a theme camp always cost money to pull together. Lots of hard work, no matter how you cut it. Good luck. This looks like it’d be a very fun space to rest a while in.

Do you have any places nearby to scrounge materials for cheap or free? You’d be surprised, maybe even appalled, at what gets tossed in dumpsters sometimes.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Postby AntiM » Wed May 12, 2010 10:43 pm

mod note: merged.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Token » Fri May 14, 2010 6:58 am

Looks to me like a couple guys could build that out of 12 pieces of lumber, a bucket o nails, a skill saw and some string in half a day on Playa. Add some strong-ties and you are good to go.

A pickup with a lumber rack could handle the lumber transport.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby mseth » Sat May 15, 2010 11:54 am

Thanks for the facts, folks. My expectations about how this is going to happen are realistic now. I'm planning on having at least one fundraiser in June, and I think I've found a workspace from someone in my circle. Things are moving along nicely. Hope to see you out there.
mseth

Return to 2010 Art & Performance