Artist with CNC machine looking for project (San Diego)

Artist with CNC machine looking for project (San Diego)

Postby Shoeshine » Sat May 01, 2010 1:00 am

Hi All,

I am a noob planning on attending this year (2010) This will be my first time going.

The folk I will be traveling with have established connections and plans for work they are doing.

I hate to be a "hanger on" given the amazing level of participation I see on the web. But... I havent so far, come up with a project of my own that fires me up.

Given this: I have some resources availible to me that might really benefit the right project. The first and formost is I have a shopbot CNC router that can make some amazing stuff. My bed is 24" x 48" and basicly anything that you can draw up on a computer, I can cut out of sheet goods with hardness up to 6061 aluminum. To complement that capability I also have a pretty good assembly shop with most of the common woodworking tools (i.e. table saw, router table, mitre saw, drill press, etc...) and a few metal machines.

I am also a fairly skilled painter in oil and acrylics. see http://www.schaie.com/fine_art

anyway, I thought I might offer up my services and skill, and see if there was a project looking for a skilled artisan in the SoCal area that could use some help.

We are in the midst of getting a camper van, so I will not need a place to stay or much support. I just want to add to the whole of the thing.

Chris

P.S. I do hold down a job, and am the father of a 2yr old, so my time and money are not unlimited. But I would love to contribute to a worthy project.
Shoeshine

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp DIY

Postby masho » Sat May 01, 2010 6:55 am

Hey Shoeshine,

Great introduction. I like your approach. I'm not sure if you are only looking to support a larger project or want to do something on your own? Assuming the latter:

It's your first trip. I highly suggest you keep it very simple. Since you have a CNC machine (so jealous) I suggest you find (many on the web) a common pattern that you like and enlarge it. Here are some examples. While not terribly original the pictured T-rex is something I put together using this approach for my virgin trip. It was light weight, inexpensive, easy to build, easy to burn and well received.

Hope you find what you're looking for :wink:

masho

Postby Shoeshine » Sat May 01, 2010 1:40 pm

Thanks for the inspirational photos Masho.

I do have some fun stuff I've made which I can definately bring.

I guess my reason to post was to see if there was anyone in the area doing a project that might be in need of some help. That way I could both contribute and get the benefit of some more experienced folk knowing the scene and limitations involved.

I only know one of the guys I'll be traveling with (my brother in law) so I figured a few introductions and connections with people going couldn't hurt either.

Chris
Shoeshine

Designs and ideas

Postby SarahGear » Tue May 04, 2010 2:40 pm

I have helped on a few larger project throughout my years on the playa. Have a few if you wish to talk
SarahGear

Postby Shoeshine » Tue May 04, 2010 11:30 pm

Hi Sarah,

I've actually been in touch with Kiwi (Chris Hankins) of MEGATROPOLIS, and think I have a pretty good project in mind now. Though they are not local, we have come up with a set of pieces that are both right up my alley, and easily transportable.

But I'm always eager to hear of cool ideas, and be glad to help in any way i can.

Chris
Shoeshine

CNC Router Assistance needed for BM Camp medallion Master

Postby VArocketry » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:21 pm

Chris:

CNC Router Assistance needed for BM Camp medallion Master

I saw your post. I am looking for a Burner with access to a CNC Router to assist in the creation of the Master for a BM Camp medallion.

Wood or metal medium. Two sides.

I can provide a file in Adobe formats, jpg, etc.
Any chance you could assist me?

Jim
biller9506 at mypacks dotnet
VArocketry

Postby Shoeshine » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:10 pm

Jim, PM coming your way...
Shoeshine

Return to 2010 Art & Performance