Mutant Art Scooter Help Needed

Mutant Art Scooter Help Needed

Postby seanjohn » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:59 pm

I have a 1986 Honda Helix 250cc scooter ready to mutate. Thinking of a sidecar or trike that offers BRC Metro 'Yell for a Cab' taxi service. I have plenty of energy and modest budget. Anyone willing to help with design and engineering?
seanjohn
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:29 pm
Location: North Bay, San Francisco

Postby LeChatNoir » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:21 pm

Throw it out and let us look at it. Post drawings and ideas. This place is loaded with gearheads and junk-junkies.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
User avatar
LeChatNoir
 
Posts: 5885
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:52 am
Location: Louisville, Ky

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:18 am

... and weird-ass artists. :)
User avatar
Ugly Dougly
 
Posts: 16510
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Location: San Jose, CA
Burning Since: 1996

Postby capjbadger » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:41 pm

...and electro-nerds. 8)

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
User avatar
capjbadger
 
Posts: 2692
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:17 am
Location: Horus' Left Armpit
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby epic_elite » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:28 pm

and people who dont know nothin about anything but have a lot of opinions on stuff!
User avatar
epic_elite
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Mutant Art Scooter Help Needed

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:27 am

seanjohn wrote: Anyone willing to help with design and engineering?

In general I think you're headed the right direction making at least a three-wheeler out of it, it's impractical to operate a two-wheeler as a Burning Man mutant vehicle.
The 250 Helix is a good start, it's the biggest-engine Honda scooter. It's a nice unit, overbuilt for it's original application. It ought to have adequate power.
Try to make your cab big enough to carry at least two passengers. If you can, make some sort of luggage-carrying space for ice runs, etc.
Remember that over-the-top lighting effects are pretty much required nowadays for a DMV night-driving permit.
You could probably get away with using bike parts for your side car, but if you use a bike wheel, definitely go with a "BMX" type one-piece "mag" wheel, don't use a mountain-bike type spoked wheel, I think it'd get bent too easily.

Body work will probably be necessary so the whole thing doesn't look much like a scooter with a side car which probably wouldn't be "mutant" enough, custom-built or not.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.
User avatar
Captain Goddammit
 
Posts: 6103
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:34 am
Location: Seattle, WA
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:02 am

VISUAL!

Image
User avatar
Ugly Dougly
 
Posts: 16510
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Location: San Jose, CA
Burning Since: 1996

Postby Isotopia » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:01 pm

Before you go investing time, resources and money into it I'd verify with the Black Rock DMV that scooters are even a category to be issued permits at the event.
User avatar
Isotopia
 
Posts: 2838
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:26 am

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:22 am

I've seen plenty of MVs and Artcars based on scooters. Has that changed, Iso?

Read up:
http://www.burningman.com/on_the_playa/playa_vehicles/criteria.html
User avatar
Ugly Dougly
 
Posts: 16510
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Location: San Jose, CA
Burning Since: 1996

Postby Isotopia » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:11 pm

Well, there *is* some vagueness as to scooters and such.

It seems to remain a gray area and I know of instances in which scooters have been denied outright in the permitting process.
User avatar
Isotopia
 
Posts: 2838
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:26 am

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:23 pm

It has to be mutiliated sufficiently.

Come think of it, the scooters that looked like rabbits and such were from the Art Car period and before Mutant vehicle period.
User avatar
Ugly Dougly
 
Posts: 16510
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Location: San Jose, CA
Burning Since: 1996

Postby mdmf007 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:42 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:It has to be mutiliated sufficiently.

Come think of it, the scooters that looked like rabbits and such were from the Art Car period and before Mutant vehicle period.


That is why you have to submit an application and be INVITED to bring your mutant creation for submission.
User avatar
mdmf007
Moderator
 
Posts: 5194
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:32 pm
Location: my computer
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Postby Sham » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:50 pm

If you make it a scooter that you stand to ride, then you can use that. It really help to mutate the crap out of it as well, but a standing scooter is allowed. I'll try to find where that is written.
User avatar
Sham
Moderator
 
Posts: 7000
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:10 am
Location: The hidden mythical place.....

Postby JRoyale » Sat May 08, 2010 1:02 pm

Isotopia wrote:Before you go investing time, resources and money into it I'd verify with the Black Rock DMV that scooters are even a category to be issued permits at the event.


Scooters are allowed, most certainly. However the same rules apply to them as to other mutant vehicles, which is that they have to sufficiently mutated. Which can be a challenge. While I don't have any hard numbers to back it up, I won't be surprised if we have much higher rejection rate for scooters and motorcycles then vehicles based on cars and trucks.

JR
DMV Council
JRoyale
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:19 pm

Postby JRoyale » Sat May 08, 2010 1:08 pm

Shambala wrote:If you make it a scooter that you stand to ride, then you can use that. It really help to mutate the crap out of it as well, but a standing scooter is allowed. I'll try to find where that is written.


That would be incorrect. We do allow small stand up go-ped type scooters to operate without a license - preferably an electric one as the gas powered ones annoy a lot of people. But the larger "Vespa" type scooter always require a license and therefore must meet all the DMV criteria to be granted a license.

JR
DMV Council
JRoyale
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:19 pm

Postby Sham » Sat May 08, 2010 3:26 pm

JRoyale wrote:
Shambala wrote:If you make it a scooter that you stand to ride, then you can use that. It really help to mutate the crap out of it as well, but a standing scooter is allowed. I'll try to find where that is written.


That would be incorrect. We do allow small stand up go-ped type scooters to operate without a license - preferably an electric one as the gas powered ones annoy a lot of people. But the larger "Vespa" type scooter always require a license and therefore must meet all the DMV criteria to be granted a license.

JR
DMV Council

You said that is incorrect, then repeat exactly what I said. No wonder there is so much confusion with the ever-moving goal posts at the DMV. :roll:
I believe the Vespa has a seat--correct?
User avatar
Sham
Moderator
 
Posts: 7000
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:10 am
Location: The hidden mythical place.....

Postby ygmir » Sat May 08, 2010 6:33 pm

maybe there is an H.P. threshold you two are on different sides of?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 27533
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Sham » Sat May 08, 2010 7:28 pm

Thanks yg. I wonder what the rules are for placing a wheelchair on a scooter and standing on it while riding? I really miss the good old days when all you had to do was put some bullet holes in your rental car and drive it on the playa as fast as you wanted while your passengers tried to balance on the roof without falling off. 5 fucking miles per hour! :roll:
User avatar
Sham
Moderator
 
Posts: 7000
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:10 am
Location: The hidden mythical place.....

Postby Cassidy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:34 pm

Shambala wrote:Thanks yg. I wonder what the rules are for placing a wheelchair on a scooter and standing on it while riding? I really miss the good old days when all you had to do was put some bullet holes in your rental car and drive it on the playa as fast as you wanted while your passengers tried to balance on the roof without falling off.


That made me crack up... I wasn't there but it makes me miss the good ol' days! I also miss the cupcake cars.
I guess they went commercial. Can't find the plans online anywhere anymore. :x Meanies!
User avatar
Cassidy
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:43 pm
Location: Colorado


Return to 2010 Art & Performance

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest