The Heart Machine - Interactive Flame Effects Project

The Heart Machine - Interactive Flame Effects Project

Postby Dragonlady » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:09 am

This image is missing the 20 interaction stations needed to create fire: We'll Update Image with stations by 18-Apr Check out the links or my next post below for more images & descriptions.

It's been 10 years and we finally got ourselves together as a non profit arts collective to make our own piece of interactive flaming art after spending years helping everyone else on playa. We have been doing small stuff but this is the first of three larger projects we have planned over the next two years (all of which use the same parts; recycle). We are excited to give back after so many years of amazing art.

More details with photos and how people interact with this 60' diameter interactive flame effects piece are in the next reply

Check out our site for more project details...
Main Page: http://site3.ca/projects/thm/
Artists & Crew: http://site3.ca/projects/thm/artists-crew/
Donate: http://site3.ca/projects/thm/donate-thm/
Volunteer: http://site3.ca/projects/thm/volunteer-form/
The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together
- Carl Sagan
Dragonlady

More photos and interactivity

Postby Dragonlady » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:18 am

The Heart Machine is inspired by the 2010 Burning Man theme and In Fritz Lang’s 1926 movie Metropolis. In the movie the main character asks, “It was their hands that built this city of ours, father. But where do the hands belong in your scheme?â€
The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together
- Carl Sagan
Dragonlady

Would love to get feedback

Postby Dragonlady » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:24 am

We would love to get your feedback as we are excited to hit the playa this year!
- Carl Sagan
Dragonlady

Postby Snow » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:31 am

I'm liking it a lot from what you have posted here! I like that the interaction of the participants makes the fire happen. I also like the overall look. Can't wait to see it out there. Do you know your placement yet?

That movie is the inspiration for our peice as well and they will tie in well together it seems.
Snow

Postby LeChatNoir » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:43 pm

Very impressive concept. If you put as much effort into the project as you have the conceptual stages, it should be pretty wonderful. I like the aesthetic and the idea.

Very nice.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Luck to have great team members

Postby Dragonlady » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:12 pm

@LeChatNoir: We are lucky to have some fantastic team members from project managers to 2 engineers to architects and can do burners with big hearts. The biggest hurdle is getting her down there for a good price. We start the builds toward end of April and will keep our project page updated. We are a mix or old crusty burners and new excited participants so at least we know what we are getting ourselves into... it only took us 10 years to get to this point :wink:

@Snow: We are not confirmed on our placement yet but we are all excited about making this project happen. Which is your project? I love sharing with the other art piece teams. Everyone is fantastic!

Overall the three most important things for this project are: (1) it's a collaborative piece (2) we finally make something for the play (3) the art must be interactive and require participants to engage with it.

It's funny right now our software team is coming up with many different "flame effect" responses depending on the configuration of participant. There will be lot's of hidden flame sequences depending on how many people and where hands are placed on sensors.
- Carl Sagan
Dragonlady

Postby Snow » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:19 pm

EIN HAMMER, there is already a thread with links etc. a bit down the page.

I'm excited as well. Both pieces use participation for the effects, how cool!
Snow

Heart Machine is now an Official Honorarium Project!

Postby Dragonlady » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:49 am

I am so excited to share that the Heart Machine is now an official honorarium project amongst so many other great projecst. Ein Hammer, Le Chat Noir... everyone... I can't wait to see you all on the playa and hope you all come out to play with our art piece.

By the way... I am so glad to see all the amazing art coming to the playa this year. This is why I drag my Canadian ass past US customs and through baggage overcharges to get to BRC.
- Carl Sagan
Dragonlady

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:59 am

Do the FLG's have an installation this year?
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Dustdevil » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:08 am

No.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

FLG Doing the Temple

Postby Dragonlady » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:58 pm

The Flaming Lotus Girls are doing the Temple this year. They were also a great help on our project as mentors and advisors. We would not have gotten our proposal in on time without their feedback and assistance.
- Carl Sagan
Dragonlady

Postby shroom » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:17 pm

I can't wait to see this!
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."~~Fred Shero
shroom

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Dustdevil » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:20 pm

The Flaming Lotus Girls are NOT doing the Temple. Rebbeca Anders and Jess Hobbs are doing the Temple. They both happen to be FLG, but it is their design and their project. The FLG submitted a different proposal and it was not accepted this year.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:15 pm

I thought I heard a rumor to that effect. Bummer. :(
Ugly Dougly

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:29 am

OH heck. Yes, it's sad that they didn't get an honoraria. They do fine work. This gives them a year off (to enjoy other aspects fo the burn,) or time to work on other projects, or time to repair and upgrade older projects.
I don't want any artist, no matter how good, having a yearly gimme from the LLC.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

We set up a Facebook page for the project

Postby Dragonlady » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:38 pm

Some of the other art installation teams recommended we set up a facebook page for the Heart Machine. So here it is:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Heart-Machine/110838035623226

We will be posting updates on the project soon to both our website and the Facebook page. This past weekend was building prototypes and it left us all with smiles and excitement for the playa.
- Carl Sagan
Dragonlady

Postby LeChatNoir » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:27 pm

I love prototype excitement.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Prototypes

Postby Dragonlady » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:53 pm

You realize you are either completely delusional or deliciously insane. I am glad to discover we are deliciously insane :)

Looking forward to seeing The Contraption upgrade this year.
- Carl Sagan
Dragonlady

Postby ragabashpup » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:55 pm

This project looks amazing. I can't wait to play with it!
Ragabadger don't give a shit.
ragabashpup

Return to 2010 Art & Performance