"In C" Performance

"In C" Performance

Postby Hillary » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:46 am

Hi! I want to coordinate at least one performance of "In C" by Terry Riley. It would be really awesome to get a ton of players to do it. The piece can last up to 1 hour and it sounds amazing. If you have not heard it before:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_C - there is a link to a midi realization of the piece at the bottom.

Any combination of instruments can play. The only requirement is that you know how to read music, though it is not very difficult. Probably the most challenging part is counting and reading rhythms. It would also be good to have a mallet player to keep the beat. If you play any instrument you can join!

I have the music for treble clef, bass clef and Bb instruments. It is only one page.

I'm just putting this out here to see if there is any interest, and if there is I will add it to the "what when where" thing!

!
Hillary

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Lost Penguin Cafe

Postby pinemom » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:20 am

is there a link to the actual music.
My Dtr will be bringing her playa Violin......
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby goathead » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:36 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjR4QYsa9nE[/youtube]
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu
Plug n Play camps have done to Burning Man what panty hose did to Finger-Fucking. Ratty
FREE THE SHERPAS
goathead

Burning Since: 1999

Postby Fire_Moose » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:48 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbjOEnxTF8c[/youtube]
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby oscillator » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:54 pm

Excellent!

If a sampled acoustic instrument is acceptable, I could provide the pulse. That would free up others to play the parts.

I wonder if Madi's Playa Choir would be into participating???

\\osc
oscillator

Postby oscillator » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:59 pm

Another piece I've always wanted to hear on the playa...

Steve Reich's "Music for Mallet Instruments, Voices, and Organ".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXtQYgIiDXE
oscillator

Postby Hillary » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:18 am

[quote="oscillator"]Excellent!

If a sampled acoustic instrument is acceptable, I could provide the pulse. That would free up others to play the parts.

I wonder if Madi's Playa Choir would be into participating???

\\osc[/quote]

An electronic sound would even be OK for the "C Meister"! As long as that person is in control of the tempo.
Hillary

Postby Hillary » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:24 am

[quote="pinemom"]is there a link to the actual music.
My Dtr will be bringing her playa Violin......[/quote]

Oh good, now people can practice :)

Yes violin is great! Thanks for replying!
Hillary

Re: "In C" Performance

Postby talito » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:45 am

[quote="Hillary"]Hi! I want to coordinate at least one performance of "In C" by Terry Riley. It would be really awesome to get a ton of players to do it. The piece can last up to 1 hour and it sounds amazing. If you have not heard it before:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_C - there is a link to a midi realization of the piece at the bottom.

Any combination of instruments can play. The only requirement is that you know how to read music, though it is not very difficult. Probably the most challenging part is counting and reading rhythms. It would also be good to have a mallet player to keep the beat. If you play any instrument you can join!

I have the music for treble clef, bass clef and Bb instruments. It is only one page.

I'm just putting this out here to see if there is any interest, and if there is I will add it to the "what when where" thing!

![/quote]

Brilliant idea! I'm probably bringing a keytar (http://www.youngloverslabel.com/details ... tail-1.jpg) and would love to be part of this. Keep me posted!
talito

Postby Hillary » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:15 am

[i][/quote]
Brilliant idea! I'm probably bringing a keytar (http://www.youngloverslabel.com/details ... tail-1.jpg) and would love to be part of this. Keep me posted![/quote][/i]

OK will do, thanks for your interest and I love the idea of the keytar. It is one of those things that I can never justify buying, but I feel like I need one somehow :)

I've been thinking about it more, and I think I might make a few GIANT scores that everyone can use together. I'm thinking two that will be the size of a large projector screen. That will eliminate the need for music stands and help the blowing away problem (if I can find huge thick cardstock or very thin wood in Reno).
Hillary

Postby talito » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:06 am

I've been thinking about it more, and I think I might make a few GIANT scores that everyone can use together. I'm thinking two that will be the size of a large projector screen. That will eliminate the need for music stands and help the blowing away problem (if I can find huge thick cardstock or very thin wood in Reno).[/quote]

I love that idea! This is going to be awesome.

As for the keytar, I don't actually own one yet. I was of the same mind as you. But I found one reasonably priced and I can't resist anymore!
talito

Postby gaminwench » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:57 am

clothespins will keep music from blowing around... do you have a venue? Center Camp Stage?
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby talito » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:04 pm

I wonder if center camp would be the best place for this. I've never really enjoyed the music there that much...so many distractions. And for a piece like "In C", I feel like a more open space would be spectacular and inspiring.

Of course it's not my project, but just thinking out loud.
talito

Postby Elliot » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:48 pm

:D
Besides the several pianos, I have a slightly creaky Yamaha electric organ I could bring. Requires 110 VAC. Has base pedals.
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - a 2015 BRC Theme Camp

http://www.elliotsbikes.org

---------------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!---------------

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby illy dilly » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:33 pm

Elliot wrote::D
Besides the several pianos, I have a slightly creaky Yamaha electric organ I could bring. Requires 110 VAC. Has base pedals.

At this point doesn't everyone of your pianos and/or organs have pedals? or at least a throttle?
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Elliot » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:19 pm

I'm certainly working on it!

But I was refering to this:
Steve Reich's "Music for Mallet Instruments, Voices, and Organ".

...just in case my junky Yamaha could be put to use.

At the moment, I'm working on the boat (Mutant Vehicle) that will have a piano onboard.

Elliot

Postby talito » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:50 pm

Say what? Mutant vehicle with piano onboard? That sounds fantastic!

Do you have a separate forum thread or webpage with details?

I'm trying to plan a Mobile Piano/Singalong Bar and was thinking of using a keytar and hopefully collaborating with an art car. Little did I know someone was planning a car with piano!

Do you already have plans in mind for the playa? Would you be interested in my idea?
I'm going to put some song/lyric books together, and having my wife or friend (or both) bartend.
talito

Postby Elliot » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:02 pm

Hi Talito:

I don't have a specific thread for anything, except perhaps the one called "Playa-Paianner" or some such.

I happened to discover a while ago, that the country is awash in old pianos that people are lucky to give away. So I'm picking up a few. Five so far, and one of them is a Baby Grand.

We have a bar in our camp, so one goes there.

The Baby Grand I plan to motorize. I'm keeping an eye out for a riding lawn mower to mount it on, but I can build something with a motorcycle engine, or possibly electric golf cart machinery. This Baby Grand already has a name -- Wolfgang Amadeus Earnhardt.

I've long known that my county (Lake County) is awash in derelict boats, but then I happened upon two fairly large ones about the same time I happened upon a fire-damaged pickup-truck. So I stretched the pickup frame ten feet and I'm putting the boats on it. And one of the pianos, yes. Im calling it "We're Gonna Need A Bigger Boat." But I figure it will become known as the "Piano Boat" (rhymes with "banana boat"). It's been invited to come to BRC for final approval.

One of my pianos is a little spinet, and we might make that one bicycle-powered.

The point of it all is to get pianos out there in Black Rock City as an antidote to the electronic thumping. The comical thing is that I cannot play! But I can haul a few pianos, no problem.

So look for a boat that has a front end on both ends. There will be a piano in it. No, the piano will not be very well tuned! (Allthough we do have a piano tuner in our camp.)

Oh, and we plan to have a little demolition derby with a couple of the most derelict pianos. :twisted:

Elliot

Postby Elliot » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:12 pm

Oh... I neglected to answer your question about collaborating.

I'm not actually planning to have a bar in Bigger Boat -- just an ice chest with canned refrehments for personal friends who may be suffering from dehydration. There are legal requirements involved in running a public bar, but if you want to tackle that, we might do something together, part time.

Elliot

Postby talito » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:13 pm

wow, i am so excited about this. i completely agree that we need more pianos out there!

i'm a lifelong piano player, but am useless when it comes to handy work, construction, building, etc.

i can't wait to get my hands on your keys!
talito

Postby talito » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:15 pm

ok, i can look into the bar issue.

also, if it makes more sense, i can also bring some drinks and bartenders over to your piano bar.
talito

Postby ZaphodBurner » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:57 pm

Old one I heard from a jazz musician:

Q: What's the best key to have sex in?
A: The key if C. It's all natural.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby Marscrumbs » Wed May 12, 2010 5:15 pm

I had the record and saw him doing this decades ago. Loved it but maybe we could do something original like "In F sharp."
Marscrumbs

Postby oscillator » Wed May 12, 2010 10:55 pm

Nigel Tufnel once said that D minor is the saddest of all keys.

People weep instantly when they hear it, except on the playa of course.

\\osc
oscillator

Postby talito » Thu May 13, 2010 9:20 am

Just happened to listen to "In C" yesterday (on an airplane nonetheless). Can't wait to make this happen on the playa. Maybe it should be called "In BRC"
talito

Postby Hillary » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:28 pm

OK, sorry, been offline for a WHILE!

Centre camp would be an awesome place for it. Also, it is sheltered. I was thinking the giant score thing because it may be difficult to locate music stands. I always bring one, but I don't want to depend on there being enough :)

Does anyone know about booking a performance at CC?

-hillary
Hillary

Postby Hillary » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:29 pm

Oh, and "In BRC" is a brilliant idea !!
Hillary

Return to 2010 Art & Performance