I need to donate pyrotechnics materials...

I need to donate pyrotechnics materials...

Postby Kismet » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:26 pm

Hello,
A couple years ago when my brother passed I inherited all of his pyrotechnics materials. He was an amateur pyro, and a professional chemist & biologist. I have many many boxes of 5-10 lbs of various powders used in fireworks, along with screens, tubes, fuses and more. I have no knowledge of pyrotechnics myself. Most of the 5lb boxes are brand new and sealed. There are many quart sized tubs as well. THere are probably about 5 plastic storage bins full of stuff. I would love to donate this to the burningman pyrotechnics show, and if possible have a little involvement with it. Id love to see how this stuff is put togehter. I am in San Pedro So. CA (near Long Beach) so if there is someone sorta local that could come check it out that would be awesome. Thank you!
Warmest regards,
Kismet
Kismet

Postby gyre » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:21 pm

Contact Dustdevil.
gyre

Postby Elorrum » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:10 pm

Contact the fire department and have them get that stuff away from your neighborhood.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S52p2AMISFk[/youtube]
Elorrum

Postby gyre » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:22 pm

Elorrum, I'm not sure what your basis for panic is, but that is a relaltively small amount of material, compared to some of the big pyro stuff at burning man.
And a chemist would certainly know what would be stable to have around.

Kismet, here's Dustdevil's contact info.
If that doesn't help, email me directly (not pm).
profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=404
gyre

Postby Elorrum » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:32 pm

gyre wrote:Elorrum, I'm not sure what your basis for panic is,

Maybe I don't like explosive things in neighborhoods, maybe I have a three fingered one eyed childhood friend. Maybe shit happens and it's best to not have explosives around, if you aren't personally certain what they do. That isn't panic. Maybe it's an overly dramatic suggestion.
Elorrum

Postby gyre » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:14 pm

The only thing to fear with chemicals, is people mixing thing they don't thoroughly understand.
It is possible to mix compounds which are unstable, but there is no reason to use such mixtures for pyro.
And obvious reasons not to.

Most pyro material is totally safe until fused.

There are well known techniques for safe handling and storage of large and small quantities of materials.
Most fireworks plants with problems have ignored long held practices for safety.

It is legal to store 25 pounds of black powder in a home.
This is not very much when you are firing the larger cannon.
While the potential power is extremely low compared to modern high explosives, smart people always have great respect for any amount of rapid oxidant, just as you would for a full tank of gasoline.
Basic safety includes obvious things like not storing everything in one place, using proper containers, no high heat, etc.

I am happy to say I have never met anyone handling pyro at burning man, that didn't inspire confidence.
gyre

Postby TomServo » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:43 pm

Unless some pyro savvy burner wants them...to pick up personally..not mail... surrender the material to your police dept. You won't get busted, if their not an asshole force.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby ygmir » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:36 pm

TomServo wrote:Unless some pyro savvy burner wants them...to pick up personally..not mail... surrender the material to your police dept. You won't get busted, if their not an asshole force.

yeah, well..........you rolls the dice, and, takes your chances...........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby TomServo » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:18 pm

Yeah, cops have many faces. Luckily for me they didn't freak out about thd ak...DA on the other hand... id have them disposed of legally. Explosives charges, fall under federal law, if I'm not mistaken.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

MEGATROPOLIS pyro possibility

Postby Peacekeeper » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:30 am

Hey kismet...

i know that the megatropolis project is intending to rock the pyro pretty hard for its burn, along with buckets buckets(thats metric bucketloads, not literal buckets, all y'all safety people belay the preemptive finger wagging please) of jp-7 and propane...

you can check the project here and see if its of a scale/purpose that would appeal to you as a target for donation/support...

http://www.megatropolisproject.com

Kiwi or Otto von Danger ar ethe guys you'd need to get in touch with about it, PM and i can furnish you with their emails...

peace
Peacekeeper

Return to 2010 Art & Performance