Human Powered Hypertrochoid Mandal Generating Machine

Human Powered Hypertrochoid Mandal Generating Machine

Postby fciron » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:27 pm

So I was at dinner with some friends (who are burners) and the ladies were discussing their childhood love of Spirograph (tm). My girlfriend (not yet a burner) says "I always wanted to be the pen in the Spirograph."

I immediately interrupted whatever deep philosophical conversation I was having "We can totally do that and I know just the place for it!"

The final plan seems to be a yurt-like frame. The wall ring is basically a metal fence with round pickets; the rafters connect a compression ring that is also the track from which the central, moving gear is suspended. The teeth on the gear engage with the pickets on the fence and the track is sized so that the gear hangs against the fence; the diameter of the compression ring of the yurt will be one diameter of the gear smaller than the diameter of the wall. (It will probably be a few inches bigger so that gravity actually pushes the gear slightly against the wall. This will keep those fucking burners from using it as a swing.)

There will be a dark colored floor which will show the tracks of people who enter and grab the handle-bars on the gear. In order to appreciate the patterns of tracks on the floor some of the rafters will also be ladders and their will be a catwalk around the top. (The catwalk is built into the guard that keeps people from losing their fingers to the trolley which the gear hangs from.)

LeChatNoir has convinced me to make it out of aluminum, better stiffness-to-weight ratio and easier to transport across the country. Earlier discussions of accessibility here on eplaya prompted me to include a gate in the perimeter so that people don't have to climb the fence to participate.

I like the idea of someone in a haz-mat suit showing up a couple of times a day to clear the dust off the floor with a leaf-blower. I figure that when the floor is clean the tracks will show up as light colored dirt and when the floor is dusty the tracks will show up as dark spots. It's a win-win.

I am thinking of either outlining the frame in 5mm el-wire for night-time or putting ccf tubes on the underside of the rafters so the interior is lit. I am having some trouble finding info on the power consumption of the ccfs but I plan on charging the batteries during the day and swapping them out at night, but I'd like to have a little cushion. I don't want to get distracted one day and have my lovely creation squished by an MV.

Waiting to hear back from a few people to see how big it is going to be and them I am gonna try and do the math and see how many burners can sit on top before it collapses.

I am calling it the HPHMGM for short, but I know everyone else is going to call it The Spirograph(tm)

Strickland Propane is proud to be supplying liquified natural gas explosive power to the art installations of the mega festival Burning Man!!!
fciron

Postby LeChatNoir » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:01 pm

Ah-HAA!! I see you’ve posted about the project, then!

The CCFL’s… they draw more juice than LED’s, but still workable I think. I have several at the shop for The Rust Bucket, so I think we could figure out how much each one draws. I’ve got two small deep cycles you’re welcome to use. They’re intended for depth finders, so they’re pretty compact:

We’ll have to do some testing
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Postby LeChatNoir » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:04 pm

Blacklight (uv) CCFL's could be really fun.
LeChatNoir

Postby ragabashpup » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:10 pm

This is going to be fantastic!
Ragabadger don't give a shit.
ragabashpup

Postby LeChatNoir » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:31 pm

Hey fc,

At lunch, I checked the current draw on a set to two Blue CCFL’s as well as a 12-LED automotive-type replacement bulb.

Two CCFL’s and their driver draw 0.61A

12 LED bulb draws 0.06A

The small deep cycle batteries I have are 7amp hour each. Probably not enough to drive numerous lights all night, I'm afraid.

However…

I also have a larger 12v, 44AH battery that is looking for a project to be a part of. That might even give a couple of night's worth of light.
LeChatNoir

Re: Human Powered Hypertrochoid Mandal Generating Machine

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:55 pm

fciron wrote:I immediately interrupted whatever deep philosophical conversation I was having "We can totally do that and I know just the place for it!"

Thereby hangs a tale. :)
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby capjbadger » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:18 pm

Man... that looks an awful lot like Da Vinci's tank. :)

ImageImage

Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby fciron » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:08 pm

capjbadger,

I already have a secret plan to reuse the perimeter fence as a gerbil wheel next year. I want a bicycle with a 20 foot gerbil wheel on the back so that people will walk in it and drive me around the playa. You want armor plating as well?

I am gonna have to gear it down.

LeChat,

I have about a hundred amp hours of deep cycle batteryage, so things are looking good. Thanks for the ccf info too. Looks very possible with a couple of solar panels.
Strickland Propane is proud to be supplying liquified natural gas explosive power to the art installations of the mega festival Burning Man!!!
fciron

Postby fciron » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:31 pm

BMorg doesn't like me enough to give me piles of cash. Looks like it is only gonna be 20 feet in diameter.

Life is so unfair! :P

See you in September!
fciron

Postby LeChatNoir » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:18 pm

Damn…

Well, that just means it’s a more intimate interaction!!
LeChatNoir

Postby fciron » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:47 pm

I'm gonna have to get intimate with thousands of feelthy heepies?!

There's no grant big enough! :lol:
fciron

Postby masho » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:37 pm

Your project looks like fun. I look forward to the experience.
masho

Postby fciron » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:39 am

Thanks Masho,

I am afraid I'm having moments of doubt. Had a couple of medical issues crop up in the immediate family and they are eating up quite a bit of time. I could self-finance, or do the work, but I am running out of the energy to do both.

Might do a smaller solo piece for this year as my first playa art installation and build up.
fciron

Postby masho » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:37 pm

It's all good fc,

Do what you have to do, but keep in mind that at least for me it's reassuring that there are people out there thinking about and doing this kind of thing.

cheers
masho

Postby masho » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:36 pm

Funkadelic Mothership

Davinci's Tank or Pfunk Mothership?
masho

Postby LeChatNoir » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:14 pm

fciron wrote:Might do a smaller solo piece for this year as my first playa art installation and build up.

Do as much of a project as gives you joy, fc. We'll have plenty to keep the fun going this year, so if it doesn't materialize fully until next year, then that's ok too.
LeChatNoir

Postby gyre » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:38 pm

Cold Cathode

You have to look at the actual output in lumens.
Except for the stronger LEDs this can be difficult info to get.
I have no specs, but I am told that cold cathode is highly efficient.
LEDs continue to improve, but I would be shocked if they come close to the tubes.

LED's advantage is in focused beams, cold tolerance and when you need very low levels of light (Most lose efficiency as wattage drops)
LEDs with the regulators are very voltage tolerant for using on battery power.
gyre

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:03 am

did someone say Gerbil Wheel?

fuck you, it's magic

NO SLEEP TIL GERLACH

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Return to 2010 Art & Performance