Spinning around the man

Spinning around the man

Postby CarissaMiller » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:04 pm

I have always wanted to spin fire before the man burns. Does anyone know how that is all organized?
"Not all who wander are lost..."
CarissaMiller

Postby Edana » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:51 pm

You need to get involved with your local Conclave and go from there. Not everyone gets to spin under the man. It's a whole process.
Edana

Postby CarissaMiller » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:53 pm

Thanks,
How do I find my local conclave?
CarissaMiller

Postby Laughing Forest » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:57 pm

Um., hold on. Here comes the Clue Bus...http://tinyurl.com/ydlnq7m
Laughing Forest

Postby CarissaMiller » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:47 am

haha, thanks!
CarissaMiller

Postby trystanthegypsy » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:52 am

DON'T DO IT!

Ok maybe do it but it's sooo stressful, you have to be sober and on time places to practice and get your security clearance, and play well with others, and rehearse in a group... and you have to drag your fire gear back to camp before you can go party...

It was still really cool to do. But I won't do it again.
trystanthegypsy

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:02 am

I know quite a few were upset in '08 when the wind storm was so bad that the powers-that-be skipped the entire fire performances and just lit The Man. Lots of prep and rehearsal for nada, but that's the way it goes when you don't control your own gig.

Then again, I remember my first burn, all the sexy women in black leather spinning fire at The Man when I realized "This is exactly what they were warning me about in catacism-- I'm hooked!"
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby C187 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:22 pm

Edana wrote:You need to get involved with your local Conclave and go from there. Not everyone gets to spin under the man. It's a whole process.

That's fine and dandy if you have a local group that goes to BM. But what would your suggestion be for people with out a local group that goes to BM?
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...
C187

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Stag Camp 8.0

Postby lonestoner916 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:27 pm

C187 wrote:
Edana wrote:You need to get involved with your local Conclave and go from there. Not everyone gets to spin under the man. It's a whole process.

That's fine and dandy if you have a local group that goes to BM. But what would your suggestion be for people with out a local group that goes to BM?

Move to the Bay Area.
:roll:

On a serious note, if you're REALLY good, you could email a video of yourself in all your awesomeness to whomever is in charge of organizing the fire conclave for this year. I want to say Crimson Rose but I may be mistaken. Anyway, if you're not that great and there's not a large group of spinners and performers around you, then the sad fact is you probably won't make the cut for the "official" fire conclave. Which doesn't stop you from doing your thing seperate from the masses.
lonestoner916

Postby C187 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:45 pm

lonestoner916 wrote:Move to the Bay Area.
:roll:

I don't really think that would help the OP, or anyone else looking at this thread for info.

lonestoner916 wrote:On a serious note, if you're REALLY good, you could email a video of yourself in all your awesomeness to whomever is in charge of organizing the fire conclave for this year. I want to say Crimson Rose but I may be mistaken.

So then, who is Crimson Rose? What makes this person so special or connected? These are realistic questions that second or third or even tenth year burners might be asking.

lonestoner916 wrote:Anyway, if you're not that great and there's not a large group of spinners and performers around you, then the sad fact is you probably won't make the cut for the "official" fire conclave. Which doesn't stop you from doing your thing seperate from the masses.

That statement, paired with the Bay Area comment makes it seem like spinners only in the Bay Area are able to spin on burn night. Because they are connected to a group - and by being in a group you would be good. What ever happen to participation opened to everyone that makes the trip out to the burn? Or is that just an illusion we tell others while protecting our close nit micro communities?

More over, how does any of this help the OP's question? (Or others that might be looking for the same answer.)
C187

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:04 pm

C187 wrote:
lonestoner916 wrote:On a serious note, if you're REALLY good, you could email a video of yourself in all your awesomeness to whomever is in charge of organizing the fire conclave for this year. I want to say Crimson Rose but I may be mistaken.

I gotta say, if you're a ten-year burner and you don't recognize the name of a member of the llc, you've been taking very good drugs for the past decade.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby lonestoner916 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:19 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
C187 wrote:

I gotta say, if you're a ten-year burner and you don't recognize the name of a member of the llc, you've been taking very good drugs for the past decade.

Yes, yes you have. Crimson Rose is a legend amongst the Burning Man elite. And make no mistake about it, much as they like to throw the catchphrase "radical inclusion" around, it doesn't much apply to the down-and-dirty, brass tacks, nuts-and-bolts aspect of the event. If it did, every dumbass college kid who saw that episode of Malcolm in the Middle would want to help build the man and then be the one to set it ablaze. Every Yahoo with a homemade staff or set of poi would want to spin fire in front of the man on burn night. That just doesn't make sense. If you want to play with fire you have the whole week to do so, regardless of skill level. Hell there's even several beginner classes available right there on the Playa! But if you want to be a part of the official Pre-burn festivities and do what you do with all the other people you saw on that video, then you either need to be a part of one of the many groups participating, or be good enough that the powers that be know you won't set yourself on fire, and that you'll put on a good show. The "Move to the Bay Area" comment was just me being me, read: a total smartass, but it's no secret that that magical place is a hotbed of fire art talent, pun intended I guess. I didn't mean to piss you off, I was in fact trying to offer you some helpful advice, albeit in my own fucked up way. I wish you all the best and hope that your aspirations of "spinning around the man" come to fruition.
-Lonestoner
lonestoner916

Postby C187 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:40 pm

lonestoner916 wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:I gotta say, if you're a ten-year burner and you don't recognize the name of a member of the llc, you've been taking very good drugs for the past decade.

Yes, yes you have. Crimson Rose is a legend amongst the Burning Man elite. And make no mistake about it, much as they like to throw the catchphrase "radical inclusion" around, it doesn't much apply to the down-and-dirty, brass tacks, nuts-and-bolts aspect of the event.

I'd assume even the greenest of the newbies would have an inkling about the sheer awesomeness in planing, preparing, logistics, and execution it takes to pull the week off.

But to the point I was attempting to make about tossing someones name around, with out context. Cryptofishist, while I can see your point that someone on drugs for a better part of a decade would not know who this person is. A person that's been going (and even participating in different ways) for half the time not on drugs can equally not know.

*Apologies in advance for breaking up your original comment above.
lonestoner916 wrote:...But if you want to be a part of the official Pre-burn festivities and do what you do with all the other people you saw on that video, then you either need to be a part of one of the many groups participating, or be good enough that the powers that be know you won't set yourself on fire, and that you'll put on a good show....

Then the question becomes who are these groups? Who are the powers that may be? Are they unicorns walking around the playa with golden tickets to join the fire conclave. Even if they are unicorns, and the person wishing to join the festivities on burn night doesn't become the human torch when found doesn't mean they won't be made of wicker at showtime. (Although I'd hope they would stay fire free.) These things still don't help the OP, or others looking for information.

lonestoner916 wrote:...The "Move to the Bay Area" comment was just me being me, read: a total smartass, but it's no secret that that magical place is a hotbed of fire art talent, pun intended I guess. I didn't mean to piss you off, I was in fact trying to offer you some helpful advice, albeit in my own fucked up way. I wish you all the best and hope that your aspirations of "spinning around the man" come to fruition.
-Lonestoner

Oh yes it's a hotbed, and I'm in no way mad at you or anything like that. This is the internet after all, and it's just silly to get pissed at pixels.

I personally could give two shits about spinning in front of the man on burn night. Hell it wasn't until last year that I even cared enough to bring my fire stuff out with me, and even then I didn't light up. Spinning isn't the end all, be all for me and the burn. That's just me.

But some people might be looking for information, and that's why I jumped in when I did, with the quote I took. Since it seems like we often forget our brother and sisters that don't live on the coasts. That don't live in a city. That only have this site, and others like it for information.
C187

Postby lonestoner916 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:45 pm

"But some people might be looking for information, and that's why I jumped in when I did, with the quote I took. Since it seems like we often forget our brother and sisters that don't live on the coasts. That don't live in a city. That only have this site, and others like it for information."

Believe me, I understand where you're coming from. I'm currently living in the middle of nowhere, Georgia and ePlaya is one of the only means I have of keeping connected with the community. (Drink!) Whooo! Damn that whiskey! Okay, anyway I understand where you're coming from and so I'm going to do a bit of drunken research real quick and then post concise instructions on how one can go about applying to join the fire conclave, complete with links and all necessary info. Back in a few.
lonestoner916

So you want to play with fire before the man burns?

Postby lonestoner916 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:13 pm

If you would like to be a part of the official fire conclave, the best place to start is here: http://www.google.com/cse?cx=0028465273 ... &sa=Search

Fill out the Burning Man volunteer questionnaire, and be sure to check the box marked "fire conclave" in addition to being as thorough as you can. This helps the volunteer coordinators get a head start on getting to know you and your individual skill set.

Crimson Rose: http://www.burningman.com/whatisburning ... t_bio.html

Depending on where you live, there is most likely a local group of fire enthusiasts not to far from you! Look them up for meaningful interaction and a chance to jam with others who share your interests! Try here: http://www.google.com/cse?cx=0028465273 ... &sa=Search

Or here: http://www.facebook.com/search/?q=fire+ ... init=quick

Good luck, and remember, Safety Third!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS8c_TyBqp8[/youtube]
lonestoner916

Postby lonestoner916 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:15 pm

I'm afraid that's the best I can do right now, considering the inhuman amount of alcohol consumption. Forgive me if I fucked up anything, but I believe I did okay, yes?
lonestoner916

Postby AntiM » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:58 am

Even Utah has a fire conclave, so it certainly is not Bay-centric. However, there are applications as a group, and audition videos. Choreography is desired, which does mean pre-event practices. Individual who do not have access to a group don't have much of a chance of joining unless they know a shin who is willing to put them on their list without working with the group beforehand. I have heard of that happening once, but no one shows up and is so fabulous they get in on the spot. The list of names is submitted well in advance, and even then you must go sign in with the main conclave folks, then get your laminate into the Great Circle from the group shin that Saturday. They're tight on those laminates!

Free form performing means more personal freedom. MyLarry and I have been on fuel for the Utah spinners for several years now. Yes, means being sober and no, we can't run around with a cart full of fuel! Burn Night means a great burn, but it also means showing up early, sitting around, then dragging our stuff back to camp before we can do much of anything. And we dress for safety, so we get snarky remarks about our lack of costuming. Still, fun times.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:07 am

Ah, gee, Lonestoner, don't you think that if someone actually wanted to do fire conclave that badly, she'd be able to do her own research? Now, you're just coddling weaklings.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Edana » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:32 am

AntiM speaks the truth....

From what I can tell, based on friends in the Colorado Conclave, and fellow fire-spinners etc it goes something like this.

You join a local Conclave
You rehearse the hell out of a show, which needs to be choreographed and preferably tell a story. It needs to relate to the theme too of course. (For what it is worth, the CO Conclave is already doing weekly rehearsals)
The various Conclaves submit an application to spin under the man.
Some (NOT ALL) of those Conclaves get picked to perform. This decision is made by Crimson Rose.
There are assorted rules, required meet-ups etc to be followed on playa, and your shin (basically the leader of the Conclave) will figure that out.
On the Sat you'll get your laminated card for the Great Circle.

Even if you are the most kick-ass fire-spinner on the planet, it is not going to be a free-form performance. You'll be part of a group with choreography and rehearsals etc.

Who do you spin with now? Who is your safety? Do you know anyone else who spins? Those would be good starting points.
Edana

Postby lonestoner916 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:02 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Ah, gee, Lonestoner, don't you think that if someone actually wanted to do fire conclave that badly, she'd be able to do her own research? Now, you're just coddling weaklings.

Well, yeah...
What can I say, I'm a sentimental drunk.
lonestoner916

Return to 2010 Art & Performance