The Contraption 2010

Postby LeChatNoir » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:54 pm

Awe... thanks doggy! That was a fun experience to be a part of all around. Lots of good memories and stories.

Progress Update

The required pulleys arrived Friday and the pillow block bearings I need will be here tomorrow. I've already fitted the jackshaft that the engine directly drives and the new bearings will allow me to fit the shaft that will send power to the flywheel. This means that the entire thing could even be mobile and go for a test run soon!

I've been waiting to take video of the engine mounted and running until I get the flywheel connected. Having that accomplished will provide a small amount of load to the engine, rather than just letting it freewheel. This will better allow letting it run for a break-in period.

After getting power to the flywheel, the next thing is to plan how the exhaust will run...
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Postby Elliot » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:24 pm

:D
Could you combine the exhaust with the flame-thrower? Then maybe connect the flame-thrower to the accelerator pedal, so you get a blast of flame out of the stack whenever you "stomp on the gas".
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby LeChatNoir » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:26 am

MWHAAAAaAAaaaa!!

That is not far from what I'm thinking actually. I've been talking with the flame effects crew about any issues and benefits of such a thing. Looks like it'll work, actually. The thought currently is that the heat form the exhaust will preheat the dump pipe of the flame effect and give a bigger poof. I had worried about it over heating and causing problems with pre-ignition, but propane doesn't ignite until 920 degrees F, so shouldn't be an problem. Many thanks to Dustdevil for advice on this part of the project.I'm also thinking it'll burn the diesel exhaust as well, only adding to the flame.

As far as tying it to the fuel pedal, I'd worried about the possibility of leaving the dump valve open too long and also using up all the propane quickly. I'd only thought of manually controlling the fuel and flame to give the same effect. However, if there were a way for the engineer to engage/disengage the pedal/flame connection...

Hmmm... This merits further thought!
LeChatNoir

Postby Elliot » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:05 pm

Oh, absolutely a disconnect feature. I should have mentioned it.

You could have a hand-lever to connect/disconnect, or you could use two accelerator pedals -- one operates the engine only, and the other operates both engine and flame. Put a small "fence" on the left side of the left pedal, and on the right side of the right pedal, so your foot can feel which pedal you are on.

Arrange the pedals so the Flame pedal overlaps the No-flame pedal, and you can easily slide your foot off the Flame without interupting the engine. And no other mechanism would be needed to link the two pedals. Piece of cake!
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby Tiahaar » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:37 pm

Contraption 2010 is sounding more awesome all the time! Hey and you have your taillamps now LeChatNoir? I got a couple dietz #40 traffic gard lanterns in useable shape off an auction, going to hang one from the back of my trike but will have a spare. Excellent little units! Heavy duty red lenses. Thought one came with no wick, so took the burner off to peer inside, and found three coiled up inside the bottom! Jackpot :-)
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby LeChatNoir » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:21 am

I did find another one, so I now have two as well, but thanks for thinking of me. They really are attractive little lamps and the glass globe lens' are nice and heavy. The one I found was in pretty good shape, but had been painted at some point with a really glossy red, but with now primer so that its sort of translucent. Therefore, I don't feel bad about using it for the project.
LeChatNoir

Postby LeChatNoir » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:37 pm

Got the remaining shaft in the engine side of the drive line in place and fitted with belts this evening. This weekend will bring a tensioner for those belts that will serve as a master engage/disengage mechanism. That means the flywheel should be spinning via diesel power by Sunday!
LeChatNoir

Postby LeChatNoir » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:24 pm

It Alive!!!!

again…

Only this time better than ever! I did a test run this afternoon with the engine powering the flywheel for some resistance. There was one small problem early on where a shaft shifted due to set screws not being locked down, but once that was addressed, the new engine ran at just above idle for better than an hour with no issues. It just putt-putted along wonderfully while the gears, pulleys, and sprockets hummed happily away.

Probably 50% of the noise from the engine is from the exhaust. The engine itself, being a diesel, is a bit noisy with it’s clack-clack and nock-nock business, but the exhaust is still very much a part of it. Even still, you can carry on a conversation next to it without shouting. And I suspect that, once the exhaust is run up the smoke stack as is currently planned, the noise will be reduced even more, leaving a clackity-ping-clacking engine to sit there and do its thing.

So all in all, I think it is a suitable engine for the ol’ girl.

Here’s a couple of videos of it in action. The glaringly stock red fuel tank is, of course, only for testing purposes. A more suitable one is soon to follow along with lots of flywheel guards and such. There's only one engine belt on at the moment, but there will be two once everything is finished up.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJr3BJdhUSg[/youtube]

And the drivetrain on the engine side of the flywheel:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSU1kwSUY-c[/youtube]
LeChatNoir

Postby gyre » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:28 pm

Now I'm chuffed!

Hooray!
gyre

Postby Elliot » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:03 pm

My experience with hot rod cars is that a long tail pipe will reduce the exhaust noise considerably.

And a turbo charger works pretty well as a muffler. :wink:

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby gyre » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:13 pm

If I can help with the acoustics, let me know.
I know a few tricks.
And I know the current experts in this area too.
gyre

Postby LeChatNoir » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:26 pm

I've thought about how to incorporate a muffler into the long tailpipe. I don't know if I'd even need one, actually. Total run would be around 11-12 feet with the ending being around 10.5 feet up in the air at the top of the smoke stack.

Option 1:

1-1/2" ID pipe for +/-3 feet (turns = (1)180 and (2)90's) fed into a large aluminum 3" ID pipe (insides of smoke stack) for +/- 8 feet.

Option 2:

1-1/2"ID tailpipe running full length, even inside smoke stack.

The issue of back pressure has entered my mind, though I'm not sure it'd be a huge deal.
LeChatNoir

Postby gyre » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:35 pm

Back pressure can be dealt with.

You can get to where the loudest thing is the clank through the block.
As long as you know someone who can weld, there is a lot you can do.
gyre

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:15 pm

Great videos LeChat and always an inspiration to see your work.
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby LeChatNoir » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:17 pm

That's what I'm thinking is the clack through the block being the loudest noise at the engine. Nothing wrong with a bit of Blap Blap up at the top of the pipe, though.

My current thinking is to let the local exhaust place bend standard exhaust tubing for me and then I'll do the cut/weld stuff. Maybe an inline flange at the bottom of the stack for disassembly.
LeChatNoir

Postby LeChatNoir » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:19 pm

motskyroonmatick wrote:Great videos LeChat and always an inspiration to see your work.

Thanks! Karine and I have got to get by the BRC Welding & Repair this year. We always bring our hoods and leathers to the playa.
LeChatNoir

Postby Elliot » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:20 pm

...hoods and leathers...

Brace yourself for a barrage of X-rated wisecracks!

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby LeChatNoir » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:16 pm

Elliot wrote:
...hoods and leathers...

Brace yourself for a barrage of X-rated wisecracks!

:shock:

Careful what you ask for around this group, eh?
LeChatNoir

Postby Elliot » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:24 pm

Yes, I kind'a expected Max Mosley to show up. :lol:

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby LeChatNoir » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:41 pm

Had a bit of a diversion from the drive train stuff the past few nights. I happened to notice that the front wheels looked a bit out of alignment. One was parallel with the body of the vehicle and the other seemed to be turned slightly inward toward the back. So I jacked it up and began checking things out and, sure enough, with the right wheel lined up with the vehicle deck, there was a difference of about 3/4â€
LeChatNoir

Postby LeChatNoir » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:29 pm

Whoot!

It's official...

After taking the whole day off to work on The Conniption, the day was topped off by receiving an invite from the DMV Hotties. Got lots of loose ends tied up and a good start on the flywheel cover, and the existing cover worked perfectly, only a bit of add-on needed and changing the mounting points.

Now just to get a few pieces plasma cut for the piece that will cover the new lower pulley, and that part will be wrapped up.
LeChatNoir

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:31 pm

*happy dance*
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby wraith » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:36 pm

Glad to hear it. After reading through the old thread and lurking this one, I really want to get a look at this marvelous piece of engineering in person.
wraith

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:40 pm

It's lovely, really.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby LeChatNoir » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:50 pm

Thanks wraith. Glad to see you chiming in. So far I’m really excited about how the new engine is doing and the promise of being able to putt around BRC with more reliability. I want to get out and share it with more people this year. And there's already lots of new spinny bits to look at this year too. And I can't wait to start work on the lighting.

(Joins in the happy dance with Fishy... zooming around and around)
LeChatNoir

Postby wraith » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:09 pm

Well, considering your Contraption thread showing up in the DIY section of another forum I frequent is what led me to the eplaya, I'd have a hard time not being glad to see that the DMV approves!
wraith

Postby unjonharley » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:15 pm

Lets get this show on the road.. Nuf of your teasing.. Roll that old corn binder out and start it up..

I'll post pic of the base unjon dear soon .. 11hp and 8 gears.. Should b able to tow ya home
unjonharley

Postby masho » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:31 pm

LeChatNoir wrote:Whoot!

It's official...

After taking the whole day off to work on The Conniption, the day was topped off by receiving an invite from the DMV Hotties.

Ossum
masho

Postby LeChatNoir » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:37 pm

I'll post pic of the base unjon dear soon .. 11hp and 8 gears.. Should b able to tow ya home

Good to see you, unjon. You'd better damn well post some pics of it in here. Glad to know I have a tow service too, but I'm hoping to not need it. The thought of looking at the backside of you pulling me home is incentive enough to double check all drivetrain connections.

Working on the copper cover for the aluminum radiator tank. expect to have pics this weekend. The punch list is getting smaller. By May it should be only the lighting that needs addressed.

I'm going to talk to the exhaust shop tomorrow about bending the necessary tubing. What thoughts about running a long pipe with no muffler? I'm not wanting any tubular "woing" sounds, but not sure if that will be an issue or not.
LeChatNoir

Postby LeChatNoir » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:41 pm

I should say... by the end of May.
LeChatNoir

PreviousNext

Return to 2010 Art & Performance