DJ looking for a party

DJ looking for a party

Postby selektah » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:38 pm

Greetings Burners,

How would a first-time Burner with a penchant for playing fine house music hook up with a party camp? I'll be flying in from South Africa with plenty of killer tunes and an insatiable desire to share the beats. Is it easy to get an hour set here and there?

Laters.
selektah

Postby ibdave » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:17 pm

2010 is the year of live music.. DJs will not be allowed to play. Last year was better... :shock: :shock: :shock:

and if you can read this, then you know I'm kidding, just a little...
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:30 pm

Hello and welcome, Selektah. By all means there are opportunities to contribute music, but also look for other ways to participate and your first burn will be a fine experience. Start reading around these boards and getting to know others that are doing same, and of course, purchase your ticket as a sign that you are ready to keep your promises.

Be well and do strange things!
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby selektah » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:30 am

Thanks JellyFish - digging the Hammer!

Ticket already bought! We are good to go.

Not sure what's with ibdave back there?? DJ'ing is performance.
selektah

Postby Fire_Moose » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:00 am

DJing....performance....? AAAAAAHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAH

good one!

guess he can't read
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:03 am

Whether dj is performance or not, self-proclaimed djs are a glut on the BRC market. I'd guess that at least 25% of the people on this board have claimed to be djs. You might as well declare that having a belly button is a gift to the community; because gazing at your navel is as important to you, and boring to other participants, as your djdom.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Re: DJ looking for a party

Postby AntiM » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:06 pm

selektah wrote:Greetings Burners,

How would a first-time Burner with a penchant for playing fine house music hook up with a party camp? I'll be flying in from South Africa with plenty of killer tunes and an insatiable desire to share the beats. Is it easy to get an hour set here and there?

Laters.

They're yanking your chain for the most part... we're all much nicer in person, even if they deny it.

I just posted the stages and artists threads, do post there, they are at the top of this forum.

IbDave... you know you shouldn't rag on the newbs until some has offered a real response.

*crickets chirping*
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:11 pm

I have an iPod and a little speaker system for it. It's pretty neat.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby The Chinese » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:49 pm

Laters.

Yo, Contact me Via PM, with a link to some mixes that you've done. All I ask is that they actually be yours (yes I have gotten some "fakes"- MIxes done in the studio that the DJ didn't have the chops to do live- and that's LAME!!!).

I am the Music Director of a Theme Camp Called Transmorphagon, we will be looking for peeps (although it's really early, never hurts to start talking.)

Chinito
The Biggest Distraction... Funk On the Playa, Live uncut Funk, TheBomb, Comin at you from the Transmorphogon, 500 Kilowatts of Pure Funk Power. You Will be groovin'. So when yer sick of the Boomp Boomp of the Burn, come down to the T-Dome and Learn....
The Chinese

Postby ibdave » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:15 pm

AntiM wrote:

Laters.

They're yanking your chain for the most part... we're all much nicer in person, even if they deny it.

I just posted the stages and artists threads, do post there, they are at the top of this forum.

IbDave... you know you shouldn't rag on the newbs until some has offered a real response.

*crickets chirping*

AntiM, I added a disclaimer, it's not my fault he can read size 2 fonts...

FireMoose read it and he's a moose for christ sake.. Not a DJ.. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Postby AntiM » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:33 pm

Sigh. I have to hit quote to view the size twos myself. And I'm just old.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Isotopia » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:49 pm

How about a first time burner coming to the event and experiencing it.... Oh Cheesus... nevermind.

Just make sure the dust doesn't scrath your iPod.....
Isotopia

Postby selektah » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:12 am

Thanks peeps - chain-yankers not included!

Chinito - thanks for that. Will post some live mixes to Mixcloud for you to check out. Hopefully it's the kind of vibe you're after - either way share and enjoy!
selektah

Postby ibdave » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:58 pm

selektah wrote:Thanks peeps - chain-yankers not included!

Chinito - thanks for that. Will post some live mixes to Mixcloud for you to check out. Hopefully it's the kind of vibe you're after - either way share and enjoy!

chain yanker?? You calling me a chain yanker??

ok, fine be that way.....

rolls up the chain and looks for a dark corner to just be a yanker.....

ibdave

Postby curiousgnate » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:27 pm

As a long time house dj, since 92. My first trip i brought records and hoped to play all week finally played thurs night and had fun, but the desire to play kinda harshed my burn for the first four days. now I don't even bring records and have a much better time. my advice is to bring your tunes, but don't count on spinning and be fine with that. You might get to play, but most stages have their own djs scheduled for all the "prime" times, and if you do get to spin it might be for 10 people, or no one at all. just let yourself be ok with this. go for the fun you will be amazed, but if you spend the whole time trying to spin you will miss the essence of the experience. That being said its always nice to see international peeps coming to the burn. You will have an amazing time if you let yourself!
Creating Peace Through Anarchy Every Day!!! Stagger for life!
curiousgnate

Postby selektah » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:44 pm

Sound advice! For me it's the icing on the cake. Mmmm, cake. No expectations considering dj-gods like Armin van Buuren and Carl Cox have been known to put in an appearance.
selektah

Postby curiousgnate » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:53 am

One more thing, i am assuming you don't use records, but if you do bring them in a sealed bag, like a space bag or something the dust gets into to them very easily, and keep them sealed until you spin, and then put them away immediately. also since it gets so hot make sure they stay in your tent and not your vehicle!!!!! Pretty common sense, but just had to make sure and let you know! Also many sound camps don't even have turntables anymore.
Creating Peace Through Anarchy Every Day!!! Stagger for life!
curiousgnate

Postby 3l3tronic » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:05 pm

bring your tunes. definitly, but if you set up gigs in advance, only set up 2 maybe 3 eveb thats pushing it. seriously you need to enjoy it and there are so many djs.. including myself. and dont let all the haters on these forums scar you. they are all the "old" burners, that still think Guns are cool, and hate change, and hate electronic music. fact is electronic music is what really made the last 10 years of playa gain so much momentum.
3l3tronic

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:44 am

Guns are cool, and hate change, and hate electronic music.

yes, no, no.....2 out of 3 wrong....Even for a BRITISH GUY, thats terrible.

please, describe us olde burnee types some more, i'm curious.
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:47 am

fact is electronic music is what really made the last 10 years of playa gain so much momentum.

tell that To Art.
fuck you, it's magic

NO SLEEP TIL GERLACH

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby gerlachedNloaded » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:39 am

or Richard.. whichever you please
I am HORSE