Okay to use go cart base as mutant vehicle?

Postby Dustdevil » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:16 am

Let me make certain I understand what you are describing. The pipe that exits the final valve before the gas hits the atmosphere and burns is 40 and the inspector wanted 80? If no pressure can be built up in that section of pipe the need for 80 does not exist. We require 80 only in pipe that pressure can be maintained.

Jack
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:32 am

No, I've had no issues with anything I use, but I am gonna change the pipe length, so I might as well make it sch80.

Sorry for the confusion, Jack.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby LeChatNoir » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:36 am

Everything up to the accumulator is 3/8" soft copper with the exception of the section near the tank being short flexible LP hose. After the accumulator is 1" rigid copper to a ball valve, then 1" rigid copper all the way to the point of combustion. The inspector said it would be fine for 2008, but next time I needed to have everything from the accumulator out to be sch 80.

ETA: He could have been referring to just the short section leading to the ball valve and I misunderstood him to be referring to the entire length.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Postby Dustdevil » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:57 am

If the section AFTER the FINAL ball valve or solenoid goes to the atmosphere there is no need for 80. No pressure is built up. Do you have the name of the inspector? If so, send it to me off list. The inspection team answers directly to me and if they did indeed tell you that 80 is required on a pipe that is essentially open at one end, all of the time, this is wrong and I need to correct that. Perhaps I haven't make myself clear to my team. The only exception would be if the final pipe is ALSO structural in design and must support a great deal of weight, but that is very rare.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Previous

Return to 2010 Art & Performance